Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:55:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulk block chain download from trusted source?  (Read 1697 times)
DTD (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:29:37 PM

The crawl of the block chain is a major barrier to entry for new Bitcoin users. At one point I had the entire thing ready to go on another machine, but I ended up changing operating systems on it.

What I can tell you is that I've tried to get new people to use Bitcoin, only to be told that it was too much of a hassle due specifically to the block chain. Now that I'm trying to get started with Bitcoin again I'm finding that that is indeed the case. It would take me over a week to prepare my wallet for use, all while crippling my computer in the process with the heavy load of download/verification that takes place at the speed of smell.

I cannot be assed to go through that much trouble. Bitcoin is an amazing software and I really like it, but if I can't bypass this bottleneck without a degree in computer engineering then I'm going to move on. Is there any way to easily overcome this hurdle?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:36:26 PM

The crawl of the block chain is a major barrier to entry for new Bitcoin users. At one point I had the entire thing ready to go on another machine, but I ended up changing operating systems on it.

What I can tell you is that I've tried to get new people to use Bitcoin, only to be told that it was too much of a hassle due specifically to the block chain. Now that I'm trying to get started with Bitcoin again I'm finding that that is indeed the case. It would take me over a week to prepare my wallet for use, all while crippling my computer in the process with the heavy load of download/verification that takes place at the speed of smell.

I cannot be assed to go through that much trouble. Bitcoin is an amazing software and I really like it, but if I can't bypass this bottleneck without a degree in computer engineering then I'm going to move on. Is there any way to easily overcome this hurdle?

Not as of yet.  You could use a client that doesn't download the entire blockchain, but that sort of defeats the purpose.  Look at Electrum -- I've never used it, but it could be helpful.

In the future I see methods where you could get the blockchain (up to a certain date) from newsgroups, a torrent, maybe BTC vending machines will copy it to a USB key for you. 

You could use blockchain.info as a wallet until your blockchain downloads, then move your BTC onto your new cold wallet (assuming it's not connected to the internet).

RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:38:51 PM

look at
http://bitcoin.org/en/

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: