Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:26:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shopify Site BTC  (Read 2402 times)
Warden BCmint (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:02:49 AM

Hi all!

We have a shopify site. We are looking to price and accept BTC only.

I am looking at https://blockchain.info/api/api_receive

Is there an easier way to do this?

We can see how we can set the base price as USD and have shopify convert to BTC, however ideally we want the price to be BTC only and exact, and have the payments only as BTC.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:13:52 AM

Hi all!
We have a shopify site. We are looking to price and accept BTC only.
What is a shopify site ? You mean an e-commerce shopping website ?

I am looking at https://blockchain.info/api/api_receive
Is there an easier way to do this?
No.And blockchain.info has limitations.You need a key from them to access the API functions since the one you get without authorization has limited functionality.Now,I'm not sure if blockchain.info will acknowledge your request and give you the access.Make your own JSON RPC calls,complicated but persistent.

We can see how we can set the base price as USD and have shopify convert to BTC, however ideally we want the price to be BTC only and exact, and have the payments only as BTC.
For price ,you can use coinbase's API and manipulate however you want to.There are a number of options you have here.But depending your website's scalability and needs,it's always better to write your own modules.

Warden BCmint (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 07:52:21 AM

Thank you for your great reply.

Yes, an ecommerce website selling bitcoin merchandise, with BTC only payment.

Noted on blockchain.info API concern, will take a closer look.

Taking a look at coinbase API.

https://developers.coinbase.com/docs/merchants/shopping-cart-plugins

Wish shopify was supported Smiley

exscudo

Activity: 668
Merit: 257

Nextgen Financial Ecosystem

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2016, 11:17:29 AM

Why don't you give a link to your website if you need support?)
LordCoder

Activity: 712
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 11:30:47 AM

Shopify already includes BitPay for Bitcoin payments, but requires business information (which I find quite annoying).
0day

Activity: 742

Hire me for your campaign management.

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:11:53 PM

Shopify already includes BitPay for Bitcoin payments, but requires business information (which I find quite annoying).

Bitpay is better as a lot of other sites are also using it for their payment and it work the same which the OP want, and I think the the business is legitimate then no one should have to find it annoying.

Hire me for your campaign management
ricku

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 06:50:16 AM

I dont really think that bitpay can help here but you need a coder that can help you with payment gateway integrations.
Check the service section on this forum.

rphk

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 09:21:05 AM

i believe there are lot of third party application will support to do this , for that you need to look for good and legit third party application or scripts which supports conversion ,there so many people offering for the java service etc on servcie section  etc . you need to choose the Esablished  and reputed one.

_____________________EBCOIN_____________________      █ █   WHITEPAPER  █ █     JOIN TOKEN SALE  >  Feb 1st, 2018 - Feb 14th, 2018
The Best Gift for Travelers           ◢◢      Your Gateway to a $60 Billion Dollar Global Market      ◤◤
▬▬▬▬                FACEBOOK                 TWITTER                 SLACK                 MEDIUM                 TELEGRAM               ▬▬▬▬
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 12:18:37 PM

Shopify itself is a ecommerce platform so if they don't support bitcoin payment via other third party solution than you have to stick with using bitpay which i think is enabled there. https://www.shopify.com/bitcoin

There are many third party solutions which provide simple wordpress plugin which you can use with woocommerce template, but i don't think they even know about shopify so they don't have plugin for them. However go through this site https://gourl.io/ this may help you understand how you may be able to add bitcoin payment system on your own.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2016, 01:43:19 PM

Be careful with Shopify, I had a couple of sites get shutdown from them in the past.  In one case, I was selling bitcoin mining equipment. They have a very broad interpretation of "virtual currency" and what involves it and what doesn't.  Even after adding the plug-ins for Coinbase, etc. They have people on staff who don't understand what they support, some of them see "bitcoin" and suspend the site without even doing any due diligence. They're like eBay/Paypal in that sense of making snap decisions without regard to impact to you.

From their ToS:
"Virtual currency that can be monetized, re-sold or converted to physical or digital goods or services or otherwise exit the virtual world or related services"
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2016, 01:11:49 PM

Any reason why you depend on Shopify?
I would think there are far better solutions for a shop that you could use?

It's not that hard to set up a simple Wordpress site zith a good e-commerce plugin...

doublemore

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 02:35:43 PM

It's not that hard to set up a simple Wordpress site zith a good e-commerce plugin...

You do have to pay more for shopify but its so easy to use i have found meaning i can just focus of selling stuff and promoting site.

Anything in the app store which can help you OP?
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 03:49:01 PM

The better solution is developing your own damn website.How hard is it to set-up a e-commerce website these days ? Hire a freelance ,spend a few hundreds,you're website is up and running instead of paying to services every time you make a deal.If you can learn coding,again a advantage over hiring a developer.Basically internet has everything you need to set -up an ecommerce site,the full source code,just have to connect the dots.
doublemore

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 07:34:10 AM

The better solution is developing your own damn website.How hard is it to set-up a e-commerce website these days ? Hire a freelance ,spend a few hundreds,you're website is up and running instead of paying to services every time you make a deal.If you can learn coding,again a advantage over hiring a developer.Basically internet has everything you need to set -up an ecommerce site,the full source code,just have to connect the dots.

I would like to do that however with very little skills i could end up spending 200 hours just to get set up.  Then what happens when i get site errors or want to change something simple, how many extra hours? Bare in mind my actual edge on the market is selling things not website design.  If i pay someone to do something then i'd have to pay them again each time i want to change something.

Shopify is like $30 a month for basic set up, its not perfect.  1.) The assholes charge you 2% for using a 3rd party payment, makes no sense IMO, so you use paypal i think you end up paying 5.4% per sale WTF?. 2.)The larger you get its very likely you will end up needing the $80 per month package. 

If i were setting up a site for BTC payments only i would be more interested in designing site myself since you can get 0% fees, lots of money to be saved vs 5.4%.
Warden BCmint (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 05:26:07 AM

Thanks everyone for awesome suggestions Smiley
brendongl

Activity: 98

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 06:54:33 AM

This is the EXACT reason people go to shopify. They dont want to deal with finding and hiring a freelancer, spend a few hundred dollars on a product which they cant see. Its services like shopify which make it easier for newbies and people without any knowledge to create an ecommerce website.

Of course there are always better alternatives to shopify, and creating your own store from scratch is always going to be the best option in the long run. But services like shopify try to make it an easier process for a price...
doublemore

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 08:06:55 AM

Of course there are always better alternatives to shopify, and creating your own store from scratch is always going to be the best option in the long run. But services like shopify try to make it an easier process for a price...

Yeah im not acutally sure i could find a better option from my experience.... if the business makes money then $30 per month is meaningless.  Things like a 24/7 support line with real people who know their platform helps also, i've rang a few times and they are great.  The 2% charge for 3rd party payment in BS though.
brendongl

Activity: 98

View Profile
September 13, 2016, 08:30:16 AM

Yeah im not acutally sure i could find a better option from my experience.... if the business makes money then $30 per month is meaningless.  Things like a 24/7 support line with real people who know their platform helps also, i've rang a few times and they are great.  The 2% charge for 3rd party payment in BS though.

I think if your business was going REALLY well, and you could afford to outsource all the work, it would be beneficial to not use a platform like Shopify. But i have no experience with it so i can't say, sometimes the support and features they offer are actually worth it, but like i said, it really depends on your budget and the size of your operations in my opinion.
Reid

Activity: 2870
Merit: 642

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 12:47:55 AM

I would like to do that however with very little skills i could end up spending 200 hours just to get set up.  Then what happens when i get site errors or want to change something simple, how many extra hours? Bare in mind my actual edge on the market is selling things not website design.  If i pay someone to do something then i'd have to pay them again each time i want to change something.

Shopify is like $30 a month for basic set up, its not perfect.  1.) The assholes charge you 2% for using a 3rd party payment, makes no sense IMO, so you use paypal i think you end up paying 5.4% per sale WTF?. 2.)The larger you get its very likely you will end up needing the $80 per month package. 

If i were setting up a site for BTC payments only i would be more interested in designing site myself since you can get 0% fees, lots of money to be saved vs 5.4%.

Okay this was explained well. So if I want to start with this industry then I would need my own mind to explode so that I can feel my own profit? Will I overspend if I hire my own website designer like paying him for a month or two until the website is almost perfect? Then I can make him an on call job after that.
bitcapitalist

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 08:56:29 PM

You could use a third-party app such as Coinbase or Bitpay

Check this article: https://www.shopify.com/blog/10446157-shopify-merchants-can-now-accept-bitcoin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: