Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 72 »
  Print  
Author Topic: My bank account's got robbed by European Commission. Over 700k is lost.  (Read 408444 times)
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:00:15 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2013, 10:50:30 AM by zeroday

The most of circulating assets on our business Current Account are blocked.
Over 700k of expropriated money will be used to repay country's debt. Probably we will get back about 20% of this amount in 6-7 years.

I'm not Russian oligarch, but just European medium size IT business. Thousands of other companies around Cyprus have the same situation.

The business is definitely ruined, all Cypriot workers to be fired.
We are moving to small Caribbean country where authorities have more respect to people's assets. Also we are thinking about using Bitcoin to pay wages and for payments between our partners.

Special thanks to:

- Jeroen Dijsselbloem
- Angela Merkel
- Manuel Barroso
- the rest of officials of "European Comission"

P.S. The worst thing is, that even a month ago I was suspecting that things can go wrong. In February, I several times called my banker and lawyer and asked them if money on the account is safe, mentioning that article in Financial Times. But they convinced me that there is no reason to worry, and even if country goes default, in no way current accounts may be affected. "This is European Union and banks here can't just grab your money and go" I was told.
I got a hard lesson and now I know the meaning of phrase "TRUST NO ONE".

[ 2013-04-01 11:32:19 PM Update ]
Deposits under €100,000 in Laiki will be transferred to the BoC. All deposits belonging to credit institutions, insurance companies, the government and other public bodies such as local authorities and municipal councils will also be carried over to the BoC. The same applies for charity foundations, schools and educational bodies and deposits belonging to the country’s main bank card transaction agency, JCC Payment Systems Ltd. Depositors who move from Laiki to the BoC are not part of the haircut.
The deposits that will not be transferred to the BoC will be part of a bad bank that will undergo resolution, i.e. an orderly wind down. Although the money will be there nominally, depositors will not have access to their money for an indefinite amount of time. As the bad bank slowly starts tidying up its account books cash would start going into the accounts, but the depositors could lose a substantial part of their savings if the bad bank fails to fully recoup all of its bad assets, as expected by analysts.
Source: cyprus-mail.com

Now we have untouchables whose accounts in Laiki Bank are not affected. This means that money expropriated from regular business, current and savings accounts will sponsor all other "tax exempt" accounts.

[ 2013-04-02 05:32:24 PM Update ]

I have news from a law company who are now working on class action lawsuit filed by the depositors of Laiki Popular Bank and The Bank of Cyprus.
At this moment they are gathering information from affected account holders with over 100k EUR amounts and looking for legal grounds to appeal the seizure of funds.

Our attorney assumes that, with the current situation, it is most likely that the depositors of Laiki Bank will eventually lose 100% of any amount over 100K EUR.
Although legal research is not yet finished, lawyers suspect that the whole situation with bailout is contrary to the constitution of Cyprus and the European Declaration of Human Rights.
We have already had precedents where local Cypriot lawyers backed by influential business figures have already won some small victories.

I'm asking everyone, who has affected account in Laiki Bank or The Bank Of Cyprus, to contact me regarding participation in the class action by sending me private message.

[ 2013-04-04 07:37:24 AM Update ]

Central Bank could face slew of lawsuits from depositors

LARGE depositors in Laiki Bank who face losing most if not all their money have warned they will take the Central Bank’s top brass to court if even one cent is taken out of their accounts.

The threat of legal action raises the spectre of the bailout programme unravelling in the courts, and slapping the state with massive sums in penalties.  

A lawyer representing a number of large depositors sent a letter to Central Bank Governor Panicos Demetriades last Thursday warning that if a haircut of any size was imposed on their deposits held at Laiki Bank, depositors will file a private criminal case against the governor, board members, and certain CB officials for allegedly committing “a number of criminal acts and omissions”.

[ 2013-04-10 06:41:50 AM Update ]
Today I've sold another part of my bitcoins and now I have money enough to completely pay off all our debts to customers and contractors.
Thanks to Lady Luck and Satoshi Nakamoto for the resurrection of my business!

I'm so inspired with bitcoin that I'm thinking about launching serious bitcoin related business project. Will announce it soon.

[ 2013-05-30 09:22:23 PM Update ]
The stealing of my money is now finalized.

Yesterday I looked at my Laiki account and found that frozen amount is not more shown on my balance.
100% of frozen funds is now appears as outgoing transaction to nobody with comment "DECREE".

Also there are some news from lawyers.

The Supreme Court has not announced its decision yet. It examines preliminary objections raised by the Attorney on a basis that the Law and the Order are political acts of the state (like decision to start war) and therefore cannot be examined or controlled by the Supreme Court and that the matter in issue should be considered as a private and not a public law matter.

Also, there is recent translation of the "Capital Controls imposing DECREE"

[ 2013-07-10 10:49:23 PM Update ]
"Blocked Funds" amount has finally disappeared from our Laiki account. Bank told me it's "waived" (their interpretation of word "stolen"). We won't receive any bank shares as compensation for confiscated amount since the bank is liquidated.
The rest of the money (100k EUR) are still subject to Capital Control and we can only transfer 5K monthly.

Today I had a conversation with a manager from Laiki Bank.
He has been honest and confirmed that we may forget about anything over 100K as it's already spent to pay country's debts. Also, I was warned that the financial situation in the country is getting worse and worse and we should be ready to lose even part of insured (under 100K) money during this year (this is why they keep capital control enforced).

By the way, this style of "bank restructuring" is going to be adopted in the whole European Union.
Soon, everyone's uninsured money (over 100K EUR) in EU banks will be at risk of seizure.

/the material in this post can be used on any resources without any restrictions/
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:02:26 PM

o_O
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:07:07 PM

That a real epic drag man.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:08:09 PM

The rest of money remaining on our account are limited for 300EUR/day withdrawals. Also it cannot be transferred abroad.
All is due to the new "Capital Control Law" (READ UNOFFICIAL TRANSLATION)
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:17:53 PM

Absolutely brutal. I'm sorry for your loss.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:18:54 PM

We are moving to small Caribbean country where authorities have more respect to people's assets.

So you trusted a small tax haven island with your money. The plan failed. Your next step: trusting even smaller tax haven island with your money. Pure logic  Grin

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:21:18 PM

IMHO the 700k is blocked as the 128k plus-some are the part that won't be touched.
you will not lose all the 700k, "only" couple of percent.

stop cryin, that's just TAX EVASION catching up to you.

zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:22:11 PM

Dijsselbloem said Cyprus would be used as the model for future bailouts.
The comments were an open invitation to any investor with more than €100,000 in a eurozone bank to remove it without delay, which some then did.

Die, Euro, die...
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:24:31 PM

IMHO the 700k is blocked as the 128k plus-some are the part that won't be touched.

Cyprus Finance Minister: Uninsured Laiki Depositors Could Face 80% Haircut
gradient vector

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 06:31:55 PM

That's horrible. I couldn't imagine not being able to access my money. Hope that doesn't happen in the US.
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:32:30 PM

Such a hideous thing. Welcome to bitcoin, if enough of you join us, maybe you'll recoup your losses in bitcoin value.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:34:02 PM

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
Nancarrow

Activity: 492

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:35:35 PM

Nitpick: tax avoidance, not evasion. Evasion is illegal, avoidance is just (arguably) unethical.

Whilst I don't generally cry a river for people with huge sums of money who end up somehow having slightly less huge sums of money, I do have much sympathy for the OP in this case. That was a business account - a bunch of people putting their time and talent into providing goods and services for a larger bunch of people. Who are now all fucked.

One thing though: how much of that is really 'blocked' blocked? That amount looks like a helluva lot more %-wise than all the newspapers I've been reading suggested.  Just read "Cyprus Finance Minister: Uninsured Laiki Depositors Could Face 80% Haircut". Well fuck that!

I was earlier going to express my disappointment with the tastelessness and over-the-top-ness of the OP's avatar. But now I can see where they're coming from, so quite frankly, Merkel can suck it.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
JimiQ84

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:36:00 PM

That's horrible. I couldn't imagine not being able to access my money. Hope that doesn't happen in the US.

No, in US they've chosen another approach - you still have the same amount in bank, but it is worth less every day. Some people call it "Effect of helicopter Ben" :-)
zeroday (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:36:50 PM

So you trusted a small tax haven island with your money. The plan failed. Your next step: trusting even smaller tax haven island with your money. Pure logic  Grin

Yes, it's pure logic, because:
 - Unlike Cyprus, small Caribbean country is not a part of "global corporation" like EU.
 - Their primary interest is to attract investors and to prove that their money is safe.
 - Unlike many of EU countries, they don't have huge national debts.
 - They don't tax you for foreign income.
JimiQ84

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:46:26 PM

So you trusted a small tax haven island with your money. The plan failed. Your next step: trusting even smaller tax haven island with your money. Pure logic  Grin

Yes, it's pure logic, because:
 - Unlike Cyprus, small Caribbean country is not a part of "global corporation" like EU.
 - Their primary interest is to attract investors and to prove that their money is safe.
 - Unlike many of EU countries, they don't have huge national debts.
 - They don't tax you for foreign income.

And they don't have to save greece and spanish banks
bitjet

Activity: 696

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:48:35 PM

Evasion is illegal, avoidance is just (arguably) unethical.

Are you fucking serious? Unethical? Taxation is unethical. Steeling peoples  money with threat of force is  unethical.

Comments like yours make me sick. You take a moral corrupt principal, hold it up as ethical and legitimate and call those who avoid participating unethical.

Something is definitely wrong with the thought pattern in the world... sick. Just sick.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:02:58 PM

Evasion is illegal, avoidance is just (arguably) unethical.

Are you fucking serious? Unethical? Taxation is unethical. Steeling peoples  money with threat of force is  unethical.

Comments like yours make me sick. You take a moral corrupt principal, hold it up as ethical and legitimate and call those who avoid participating unethical.

Something is definitely wrong with the thought pattern in the world... sick. Just sick.

you know, i am not for being robbed - i am also not for robbing.
i am also of the opinion that some taxation is unjust (but probably not in the same way you think)
....but "morally unethical stealing"... eww... that it is not.

[insult redacted with apologies]
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:06:22 PM

Well, I know who I'm not trading with in this thread.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:11:23 PM

Taxes are a necessary evil in my opinion... and should be fair and balanced across the whole spectrum of citizens.
I like paying for roads to drive on, and for petrol subsidies. I don't drive a car, but I know those things give me cheaper food.

But there is a difference between taxation and economic murder.
For the OP I'm sorry for the loss of your company, good luck on better shores.

ZOMG Moo!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 72 »
  Print  

Jump to: