Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:17:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of so-called "anonymous" coins (XMR, SDC, AEON and DASH)  (Read 8582 times)
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 10:38:52 AM

It is clear that these prices are not sustainable and are a major bubble and manipulation by big holders. The reason it can take of the way it does is mainly because what people have seen happen to many other coins recently after the volume increases.

The people are just jumping on board of the train and will jump off the second it looks like it will start to decline again.

I still think these "anonymous" coins are pure marketing trick and will never gain mainstream adoptation purely because they are anonymous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 11:46:22 AM

Monero broke number of records (price, trade volume), but it looks like many people believe that SDC and AEON will follow its trend. One can argue if the XMR growth can be called "organic", but my personal opinion is that this is a pure speculation. Both ShadowCash and Aeon have never reached such prices and volume (you can check their history) and I think that investing in them at this point could be called dangerous.  

I'm not sure who is going to "win" the "war" between anonymous digital currencies, but you should think twice before deciding to invest in some of them.
P.S. Personally I don't really care about any of these coins (i.e. if they succeed or FAIL).

Cheers,
Spartak

This is a VERY YOUNG space and we know not where it is going. We don't even know what Bitcoin is going to amount to. But thus far, with all the economic problems (e.g. helicopter money, negative interest rates, governments attacking cash, etc.) it is clear Bitcoin has a role. If nothing else, wealth protection. But apparently so much more.

Well, now it seems that Bitcoin is not only traceable but that mixing services are being attacked (see Roger Ver's comments on that.) I don't see Bitcoin doing a hard fork anytime soon for anonymity. They/we are worrying about the block size fork/update. Just as TOR can save lives with information, perhaps Monero can also save lives financially. Looks like people are telling the government, essentially "We have nothing to hide, but nothing to share either" and until transparency goes where it belongs (follow the corruption at the top), we need to do our best to, dare I say, save ourselves.

I see Monero as a HUGE hedge against Bitcoin as it really does appear that States are watching (and dare I say influencing) Bitcoin. The last thing they want is something they can't easily control, monitor, etc. (And I would only expect them to infiltrate and manipulate Bitcoin for obvious reasons, namely it is their job and if you read those FBI docs, it is business as usual). These anonymous currencies are perhaps, the next step up in the game.

Dash's tech is just not tested and the node method of mixing is legally an attack vector. And don't get me started on the instamine.
I'm not sure on the others you mention but Monero is older tech, as well tested as any mid level Crypto in the arena.
Sure, lots of speculation going on, but Roger Ver stating Monero is going to $50-$100 - perhaps that really got the other Bitcoin whales involved. (odd timing) https://forum.bitcoin.com/monero/monero-price-speculation-thread-t10274.html#p29049

I just don't think the Monero rise is a pump. If it is, man, it is larger money than we have seen outside of BTC. (For the record, I don't think ETH was a pump at all.)

Yeah, I'm in Monero and have followed it for years but the tech is real and the community, for the most part, is humble and tech savy...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1049

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 11:58:31 AM

If you haven't buy monero yet, just don't try to as of now. Like the rest of the traders said, don't chase a trade or else get burn. It hasn't been stable yet. Wait till the price stays at 13$ for maybe a month and if it doesn't change, you can then decide to buy few to test.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 12:04:15 PM

BBR was  way higher as it is right now. I remember in 2014 was 1:8 paired with XMR whenever XMR moved up and down BBR followed.

@electronicash

XMR will always look to expensive.  It did at 0.005 and it did at 0.009 and it did at 0.014.  Or you maybe now think those were cheap prices?
electronicash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 12:18:38 PM

BBR was  way higher as it is right now. I remember in 2014 was 1:8 paired with XMR whenever XMR moved up and down BBR followed.

@electronicash

XMR will always look to expensive.  It did at 0.005 and it did at 0.009 and it did at 0.014.  Or you maybe now think those were cheap prices?

No doubt. But we'll see first if it stays that way after 3 months and that maybe the time I'd invest again. Been with XMR back when it was yet $.50 cash out when it reached $1.50 as it stays there for so long. If it drop til half of its price then that would be good and i might just expect this to happen. Once a whale dumps everyone who expects profit follows.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 12:42:42 PM

@electronicash

No doubt. But we'll see first if it stays that way after 3 months and that maybe the time I'd invest again. Been with XMR back when it was yet $.50 cash out when it reached $1.50 as it stays there for so long. If it drop til half of its price then that would be good and i might just expect this to happen. Once a whale dumps everyone who expects profit follows.

That was my point. 3 months?  Considering what i posted, "XMR always looks expensive" , where will be price of MXR in 3 months?
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 12:46:42 PM

@electronicash

That was my point. 3 months?  Considering what i posted, "XMR always looks expensive" , where will be price of MXR in 3 months?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/monero/monero-price-speculation-thread-t10274.html#p29049

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 12:55:24 PM

This is a VERY YOUNG space and we know not where it is going.

No one with their right mind could argue with that. Fiat money needed like a thousand years to to prove their flaws. That is why I am creating such threads from time to time. People should think before they act. Its not like I'm cheerleading some coin or ask for their money.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 01:25:33 PM

This is a VERY YOUNG space and we know not where it is going.

No one with their right mind could argue with that. Fiat money needed like a thousand years to to prove their flaws. That is why I am creating such threads from time to time. People should think before they act. Its not like I'm cheerleading some coin or ask for their money.

Not sure that you took my post the right way - My post was meant to be more informative.
I don't think there are many fiat monies that lasted much past a hundred years. A few yeah, not many and it looks like we have a few about to go boom.

The title of your thread is "Beware..." and I'm sure most in this space know of the risks, but the biggest risk right now is the economy in general and not hedging ourselves.
I would for sure be risky of the newer alts as well as DASH, but Monero, by all accounts seems to be solid.
But if I was just getting into the game, I'd go to Bitcoin and only put 5%-%10 into alts. (And I would be real real careful security wise.)

Lastly, and I've said this elsewhere, I make no qualms about these Crypto's being our saviour. They are not, they are just a step in the right direction.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 01:32:31 PM

All these anon coins are going crazy lately but I don't think this is the top of the pump. My prediction for XMR is around $50 per coin.
It is such a long time since we have an altcoin that is worth 50 dollars excluding those coins with very little supply. XMR is the next LTC.

█           
           ██           
          ██████         
         ████████         
        ██████████       
       ████████████       
      ██████████████     
     ████████████████     
    ██████████████████   
   ████████████████████   
  ██████████▀▀██████████ 
 ███▀▄████▀    ▀████▄▀███
██▀ ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄ ▀██

░▄███████████▄░░░▄███████████▄░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░▄██████████▄░░░████████████████░░░░██████████░░░░███████████████░░█████████████████
█████░░░░░░░███░████▀░░░░░▀████░█████▄░░░░▄█████░███▀░░░░░░▀███░███░░░░████░░░███░░███░░░░░░░░██░░███░░░░░░░░░░░███░███████░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████░▀█████▄░░▄█████▀░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░████░░███░░░███░░░██░░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░████░░▀█████░░█████▀░░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░███░░░███░░░███░░████░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░█████░░░▀████▄▄████▀░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███░███░░░░███░░███░░░░██░░░████░░███░███░░░░░░░░░░███▀░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░▀████████▀░░░░████████████▀░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░████░░░██░███░░░█████████░░░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████▄░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░███░░░███░░██░░░░░░░░░░░██░███░░░░░░░░░░███▄░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░███░██░░░░████░░░░█░███░░░█████▄░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
███████████████░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░░██░██░░░██████░░░█░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
░▀███████████▀░░░███░░░░░░░████░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░████████████████░███████████████░░███████████████░░░░░░█████████░░░░
|
▂▃▅ Quick buy and sell bitcoins online. Fast and secure ▅▃▂
Facebook】【Twitter】【Telegram】【Medium】【Instagram
|
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 01:37:52 PM

Not sure that you took my post the right way - My post was meant to be more informative. But if I was just getting into the game, I'd go to Bitcoin and only put 5%-%10 into alts.

That's the whole point. SDC's price (as we speak) increased with additional ~60%, while AEON lost ~12% of its value. Monero is continuing to break records and no one knows (if we not talk with conspiracy theories) when it would stop.  

lsqgoddess

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 02:20:35 PM

Not only these 4 in your title. Remember boolberry, bytecoin are both cryptonite coins, especially bytecoin is the first cryptonite coin, and monero copied from bytecoin.
DaveJones

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 02:57:20 PM

This is good for everyone over the long term.

People getting rich overnight will draw more and more people to crypto.  It's just the way it is.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 05:53:40 PM

Monero growth is more organic than speculative IMO, because it's being adopted by DNMs, recognizing that anonimity is one of the most important features of real money, if not the most important. These days Bitcoin hodlers and butthurts are now crying, they are learning their lesson hard: emotional attachment to any coin is bad. Me I started to leave Bitcoin the moment I saw this scaling debate is not going to end soon and well. Bitcoin is literally dying because powerful forces want it to be like that, but obviously they cannot stop the whole idea of real money, and Monero is more real than Bitcoin, that's a fact.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 06:04:47 PM

Monero growth is more organic than speculative IMO, because it's being adopted by DNMs, recognizing that anonimity is one of the most important features of real money, if not the most important. These days Bitcoin hodlers and butthurts are now crying, they are learning their lesson hard: emotional attachment to any coin is bad. Me I started to leave Bitcoin the moment I saw this scaling debate is not going to end soon and well. Bitcoin is literally dying because powerful forces want it to be like that, but obviously they cannot stop the whole idea of real money, and Monero is more real than Bitcoin, that's a fact.

Don't get too excited, because Monero is too young to be compared with Bitcoin. But let me ask you some questions:

What is the XMR volume on the DarkNet markets?
Currently 99.7% of Monero volume is on Poloniex and Bittrex. What happens if the authorities tell them to halt all XMR tradings and delist the coin?

iamrohitkgupta

Activity: 44

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 06:25:34 PM

@spartak. I am interested in your speculation of when and at what price XMR will start to drop. I am holding some XMR now that I bought at 800k satoshis and this fast movement of price is making me a little scared to be honest. I happy that it has gone up real quick making my investment profitable but I do not know if I should sell now or sell later.
Use sell stop function to open a sell position when the price drops below a certain point say for eg. 2k satoshi, read this for more info: https://poloniex.com/support/stopLimitOrders/
electronicash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 06:40:47 PM

Don't get too excited, because Monero is too young to be compared with Bitcoin. But let me ask you some questions:

Currently 99.7% of Monero volume is on Poloniex and Bittrex. What happens if the authorities tell them to halt all XMR tradings and delist the coin?

Oh no that's just make things worse. I believe they can do so.
Perhaps the rest of those who supports XMR will move to SDC as well after all they both have same features. Some people actually claim Shadowcoin is much better than Monero. Investing to both might just be a good idea as well.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
iamrohitkgupta

Activity: 44

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 06:53:36 PM

I think I understand what you're trying to say. Investing in alt-coins has become similar to HYPE. The only reason people buy coins is to sell at a higher price. Most of the traders will never even own a wallet for such coins. While keeping in mind the benefits of speculation and trading we shouldn't forget that a commodity becomes useless if it has no/few end user.
BiTZeD

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 07:24:16 PM

I partially agree with you, about SDC and AEON. They're totally manipulated. I think that people who bought them though about a "new Monero". But about XMR, even if I was totally anti-XMR, I came to conclusion that it might be the only valuable altcoin, due to its use for Darknet marketplaces.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1439

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 01:15:41 AM

It is clear that these prices are not sustainable and are a major bubble and manipulation by big holders. The reason it can take of the way it does is mainly because what people have seen happen to many other coins recently after the volume increases.

The people are just jumping on board of the train and will jump off the second it looks like it will start to decline again.

I still think these "anonymous" coins are pure marketing trick and will never gain mainstream adoptation purely because they are anonymous.

Are you saying that fungibility is overrated in cryptocoins? While I also think that anonymous coins will not replace bitcoin, they are an important part of the cryptosphere. They must be part of the foundation that makes it stand. If there was a decentralized exchange connecting XMR and BTC in between then this would be a perfect solution than using bitcoin tumblers. You can use XMR if you want anonymous transactions and use BTC as your "bank" at the same time. They can coexist. Who said there can only be one?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███