Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:43:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why BTC Code sux  (Read 1382 times)
PoorGirl (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:02:10 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 10:07:23 PM by PoorGirl

The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:14:17 AM

Is someone holding a contest to see how many ignores an account can pick up in a short time?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 02:22:15 AM

oh great, coding by vote from people who don't know how to code.

that would surely result in great quality software. </sarcasm>

certainly the bitcoin client is not perfect and could use improvement in certain respects (hey, it's beta!), but coming in and saying "this is crap, let's just can the whole dev team and code by popular vote" is not really a productive way to go about achieving said improvement.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
de4l

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 02:32:55 AM

you should start an alt-coin that has this feature, and make some forums to hang out in
GimpyPrime

Activity: 68

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:24:09 AM

I'm not entirely sure you know what your talking about. Google translate sure as hell didn't

JSON Rubbish? Everything you said was rubbish.
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:34:23 AM

I don't believe having just anyone vote for the direction the code moves would be a good idea.

Voting based on paying to an address is also a terrible idea.  It would only allow for the richest person to vote in their favor in the direction they want to code to move.  So, there is no democracy in that method.  

GimpyPrime

Activity: 68

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:51:58 AM

Build your own better client or at least a proof of concept and showcase it in the forums.

Based on your previous thread you mentioned the JSON requests were very slow. Yet your CPU/RAM were at low usage. So clearly they are not the bottleneck. Unless someone has a thread wait sitting in the code somewhere(Unlikely) you are probably looking at network lag.

I've only worked on communication between nodes thus far, haven't tackled the JSON-RPC in the client. As far as I am aware you aren't really forced to support that JSON specification they published, you could really have your own client specific endpoints/schemas. Assuming you decided to build your own client.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:14:59 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 10:46:05 AM by John Smith

Let the community vote to approve or decline a change in the software by sending 1 Satoshi to a specific address. Without mining fees. Count the addresses and do a 1 or 0 public decision. Publish the result. Make it democratic. Do it they way Bitcoins were invented.
It is already democratic, as much as possible. That's what github(p?) is for, if are a developer and you don't agree with what the core coders do, you can make your own fork with one mouse click. Then you can merge and change what you want, distribute it to your friends, sell it, whatever you like. The license (MIT) allows everything.

If you are not a developer yourself, you can ask one to do it, or hire one... Voting about code issues would make little sense; don't you agree that the "official" client should be developed by developers with domain expertise instead of "random voters"? After all it is the client that by far dominates the network, so any bug could lead to huge problems.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:01:09 AM

Is someone holding a contest to see how many ignores an account can pick up in a short time?
I was thinking more of a contest about how to look both as ignorant and as stupid as possible.

But I voted for the ignore with my mouse ;-)

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:00:54 PM

Please tell me English is not your native language...

Based on:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166341.msg1737012#msg1737012

For now the shame is on the Bitcoin devs. These famous official coders who have millions of BTC in their pocket, mined early and never spent to get rich on times like now. Oh, I get politic, sry, back to speed. Beat me. Just say that the JSON-RPC interface sux big time and their implementation of Berkeli DB is even worse. Decades before XML and that rubbish called JSON was born we had high performance C based SQL interfaces to deal with network database code like this. The Bitcoin code we see as of today is a piece of shit, impossible to compile with any ISO C++ standard compiler. Try yourself. You did ? Bitcoins went politics a while ago. You have to compile to the reference standard or get lost by loosing future patches of the protocol. Check Overnet. Same situation. In the end Bitcoin will be controlled not by public coders but important ppl who decide which code change is acceptable. Coders who have no life nor children. Who today gives a fuck about Bitcoin pulls ? Tried to teach your mum what a pull is ? Told her how to make her voice important to make a change in the code from her sofa ?
Ops, sure, my grandma needs to sign up with Githup or that crap to say that there is a bug or improvement to get her opinion heart. Well no. She wont do that. Way too complex and stupid.

BTC development needs to be in public control and not within control of a small size of ppl. Votes of ANY code change need to done by the public who represent at leat 50% of BTC.

Let the community vote to approve or decline a change in the software by sending 1 Satoshi to a specific address. Without mining fees. Count the addresses and do a 1 or 0 public decision. Publish the result. Make it democratic. Do it they way Bitcoins were invented.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: