Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:33:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest Electric Rates Anywhere... .5 BTC BOUNTY  (Read 2713 times)
SideWinderGX

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:58:25 PM

Need any info/help around the Solvay area feel free to ask, even without the .5 BTC it'd be interesting to glance around your server farm and see what you've got set up.

There's enough big buildings/factories in the Solvay area to figure that your MW demand shouldn't disturb anything. If you ask them of any buildings around here that are vacant but have enough wires dropped to satisfy your demands they might be able to help, off the top of my head I can't think of anything that's for sale besides some random houses/apartments that are around. Unless you buy a house and hire an electrician to drop in some more wire they won't be much help though haha.

I called the Solvay Electric Department today and was given direction about open real estate that is able to put up with those power needs, so I'm going to follow through with that. Any help you could give me would be great, it's actually looking like a promising spot due to the dirt cheap electricity and the fact that most data centers have minimum power requirements (80 KW/month!) that far exceed my current budget.

100 kilowatts? Did I read correctly? It is like electric train accelerating.

I know, it's funny. Perhaps he needs 100 kw/hr per month, not 100 kW

Not all of us are power engineers. Well, I am, but the rest of you guys are probably not.

I mean 1000 kWh/day, which translates to about 8 KW/month. I had a funny mix up on the phone about that today where this guy thought I was going to power a small city.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm confused on your numbers, I don't think they're right  Grin 8 KW/month isn't very much. 1000 kwh/d comes to 30000 at the end of the month, elec bill would be 900 bucks.

1000 kwh/day is 41.6 kw per hour which is a lot but its not so much you wouldn't be able to find a building to supply that. Solvay said they gave you some spots so I wouldn't be surprised if they worked out.

If you need help in the local area PM me and we can work something out. FWIW I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering Tech so I might not be completely useless to you haha.

edit: I looked back in the thread and tried to make myself useful. You said you were going to have 30 x4 7950s...the all knowing Google says they pull a little over 300 watts. 300 watts x 120 is 36 kW, 350 watts x 120 is 42 kW. Not sure what else is running or what exact brand of stuff you have so its not exact but definitely 'in the ballpark' of your 1000 kwh/day and 900 a month bill if you run it 24/7, excluding cooling/ventilation of course.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Twerka

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:59:53 PM

Who won the 5 BTC?

The worst enemy of Bitcoin is Mt.Gox exchange.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 09:02:54 PM

Easy. Alaska. Why? You get paid thousands just for being there, offsetting any electric costs.

Actually I know this is probably a joke but Tongue if you went to somewhere like Alaska where it's pretty much cold all year round you wouldn't have to worry about cooling as much so that will probably keep the electricity cost down in the first place, either that or you can go to a really hot and sunny country where solar electricity is ridiculously easy to get and just make your own electricity.
mantis_tobbogan (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 10:43:45 PM

Who won the 5 BTC?

I am currently quite busy working on my rig and getting in touch with various places, many of which were posted in this thread. As previously stated I should make my final plans and actually make some down payments for where I choose to set up shop in a month or so. The guy who posted about Wenatchee, WA is so far most likely to get it, I'm looking into there.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:53:13 PM

I did a little more research and found that electricity in Venezuela is in the neighborhood of $.013/kWh. It should be quite a bit lower with the devaluation they've done recently.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 04:02:55 PM

Who won the 5 BTC?

I am currently quite busy working on my rig and getting in touch with various places, many of which were posted in this thread. As previously stated I should make my final plans and actually make some down payments for where I choose to set up shop in a month or so. The guy who posted about Wenatchee, WA is so far most likely to get it, I'm looking into there.

Wenatchee is by far the cheapest place for electricity in the US. I've done a bit of homework on this topic also....
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:15:06 PM

This idea is already unfeasible at the current BTC prices.. makes no sense to invest in GPU hardware no more.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Runescape

Activity: 31

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:38:46 PM

Probably right next to the power grid is cheapest I imagine.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:08:28 PM

What if a guy had a place in an industrial building with a 250A 3ph 480V service and rates around $.05?

Any idea how I might get in touch with someone interested in another farm?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
atomicchaos

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:21:09 PM

This idea is already unfeasible at the current BTC prices.. makes no sense to invest in GPU hardware no more.

Depends on what idea you speak of... ASIC farms can take a lot of power as well.

BTC:113mFe2e3oRkZQ5GeqKhoHbGtVw16unnw2
Hollowinfinity

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 02:36:11 PM

I'm looking into setting up a GPU farm. Please hold off on the criticism and death threats, I've already made up my mind. My only obstacle is finding a place with very cheap electric rates as I will be pulling some serious wattage, think upwards of 1000 kwh / day. I've heard of electric rates being as low at $.0065 near hydro electric dams, however I can't find much online. If anyone points me in the direction to find such cheap electric rates at a reasonable locale I will give them a bounty of .5 BTC, but any other help is encouraged as well Smiley

http://www.cityofplattsburgh-ny.gov/publicfiles/file/TARIFF%20PAGES.pdf

close maybe? Mad cheap electricity around here.
scyth3

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:44:15 AM

I would like to offer the same .5BTC bounty for anyone that can find a location with electricity <$.0.05 kwh that is within 20 mile radius of Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks for any leads.
luke137

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:23:50 AM

I would like to offer the same .5BTC bounty for anyone that can find a location with electricity <$.0.05 kwh that is within 20 mile radius of Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks for any leads.

Unfortunately, I cant find any that cheaper than $0.05. and this is the cheapest from what I found
https://i.imgur.com/5kBKIas.png?1
scyth3

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:25:05 AM

Thanks for any leads.

Unfortunately, I cant find any that cheaper than $0.05. and this is the cheapest from what I found

Electricity isn't cheap in Philly, if you include the distribution charge that price is around 15 cents per kWh.
cryptx

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:06:30 AM

Good point about the distibution costs.

If you are looking for the cheapest electricity costs you should keep in mind that this is just a percentage of the total cost per kwh. The other costs involved are often much bigger than the electricity itself.

If we look at the Belgian electricity cost, at first glance you could think it is cheap, around 5 to 8 € cents. If you dig a little deeper you will find out this is only about 35% of the total electricity bill. You have also distribution costs, transportation costs, green energy costs, taxes, fixed costs etc This will make the total cost of 1 kwh about 18 to 22 € cent, a world of difference.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: