Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:30:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So, only one Bitcoin miner on market right now.  (Read 3250 times)
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 11:55:10 PM

It would be better to see more mining equipment. What is actually letting people down to bring them on the market? Since in most places the cost for electricity is high, so why are there no other solutions?

Before we had these usb sticks, there is an bitmain router, though it is old equipment and not profitable nowadays, why is it all gone?
Because manufacturers see no need to create more equipment; mining is already more centered on datacenters and people with cheap electricity, so alternatives are now less useful(at least what they think imo). Bitcoin mining has moved off of the home mining scene steadily in the last few months, and we should have seen this coming. I don't forsee any major alternatives to the S9 and A-series miners anytime soon.

Altcoin mining has become pretty viable for most people (GPU coins like ETH and Monero) and it's where home mining is moving very rapidly. Looking at it can't hurt.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Johnyloco

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 03:15:09 PM

I will take a look at it Wink
Goms

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 08:08:44 AM

Another good thing about mining altcoins is that you can quickly exchange them for bitcoins when the price of bitcoin dips.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 03:06:30 AM

The A7 is coming , i just noticed more about it on tweeter and some one broke down the A7 code and it looks like it might be a 7 or 8 th that runs better then the S9 or whatever they called there so called home miner  . well see . i posted  more here :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1502116.msg16531702#msg16531702  I know it's little out dated but it's for those who don't know .

I had given up all hope was about to get ride of my few older antminer i have left and went to GPU Mining, started building a GPU farm .

here is about the A7 code

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1502116.msg16303099#msg16303099

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2016, 03:28:53 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2016, 04:58:49 AM by toptek

Why keep it for themselves though? When they can make a killing producing one  from a low cost then put an exorbitant pricetag on it for people to buy. People will still buy them anyway, as long as the miner pushes for more THS than the last one, the buying public will see it and be blind to the price.

You don't go to a gun fight with a knife.

No one really fights bitmaintech with ASIC sales.  So no one has been able to release a better cheaper miner.

So Avalon builds a close miner and sells it at a higher price so as not to offer real competition.

Bitfury builds in house gear and avoids it all together .   The best most competitive way to mine btc is with a gpu rig.

Huh ? Wtf ?
  No way .

Well mine eth or xmr with a gpu rig and convert to btc.

This is what bitmaintech is up against.

Frankly I think it is good for all.

So when Avalon releases the 7
I want it to be a 0.08 to .11 watt miner.  And I want it to be a little more costly then the s-9.

This will help gpu mining .  The last thing we need is a war with bitmaintech. And any ASIC company .

Bitmaintech will simply crush that company and in the process it will hurt the btc price.

Same as when. Bitmaintech did battle with spondoolies.

what would be interesting to see is what would happen if Avalon was to sell there A7 say at 800/900 bucks per with no intention of starting a price war or taking on BM they just want to price things the right way .the worse that can happen is BM would lower there price lower and Avalon would start setting the market price from there and would all ways be higher then BM, I can see that working as long they don't get greedily etc . and not try to put BM out of business and actually start price war's but try to make things more fair for every one if Avalon could do that and stay humble thu it all like they are now, i could see it working and BM would be under control price wise. the money would still be there.

IF they really want to keep selling to the public and turned down that deal with the other company because it would have cost more then it was worth (not just money but values) and they didn't want to add more to there administration.  which btw was why they turned it down , i guess they still wanted full control and not add more form the blog that was posted .

I think the problems spondoolies had was they had to be top dog why I say that after all the smoke cleared they went down fighting started making sense less posts there pride was hurt for sure and they actually thought they could take out bitmain and wouldn't back off, and work with them, they had a nice miner to.

i know it won't happen it's just a dream but it's a thought .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 01:02:47 AM

800/900 might not be a shock for an Avalon 7 - if they do the same thing as they did on the Avalon 6 and make it a somewhat smaller capability miner vs. the same gen Antminer.

6TH/600 watt ballpark and at least as quiet as the A6 for $800-$900 would sell a LOT of Avalon 7 units even though it would be somewhat higher on a $/TH basis vs the S9.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
_Miracle

Activity: 905
Merit: 657

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 03:00:05 AM

Mercy! Even IF I had cheap power and close to 2k to drop on a miner/psu right now I wouldn't.
The draw these units have on your home's tiny little electrical panel seems a bit much.

It was easier to spread a few S3s around the house but these? I don't think so.
 I just made a cross country move and was thinking to set up some more miners.
It looks rough for miners right now?

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
ZACHM

Activity: 777
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 06:43:58 AM

800/900 might not be a shock for an Avalon 7 - if they do the same thing as they did on the Avalon 6 and make it a somewhat smaller capability miner vs. the same gen Antminer.

6TH/600 watt ballpark and at least as quiet as the A6 for $800-$900 would sell a LOT of Avalon 7 units even though it would be somewhat higher on a $/TH basis vs the S9.

You also have to take into account the build quality of the Avalon gear over the Bitmain gear.
People should expect to pay more for something that is built better.

I'm hoping for something more like 6TH/450w.  75 w/TH would be very nice.

But you know what they say, wish in one hand....
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:59:41 AM

You also have to take into account the build quality of the Avalon gear over the Bitmain gear.

I did - as well as the "I hate BitMain" crowd.

9-)

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Clement Kaliyar

Activity: 1302
Merit: 532

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 06:47:09 AM

Yeah I have 5 s-9 cost me over 8k

I have 21 gpu's Mining ETH and XMR. I Spent less then 8k . I use 1/2 the power  and right now I am earning more by the gpus then by the asics.

I have a foot in both camps. And can shift either way.
good for you buddy for minning bitcoin as well as ETH and XMR, i wonder how much space you are allocating for both the equipments,i am not a miner so i have my doubts are you allocating ETH and XMR in the 21 gpu's simultaneously or you have seperate rigs for ETH and XMR. is it possible to mine multiple alt coins simultaneously
since there is only one bitcoin miner in the market the prices are really high and without a worthy competitor consumers wont get a reasonable price for the miners
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 08:47:34 AM

the only problem with mining ETH with GPU is the size of the DAG file
you already require a card with at least 2 gig memory on board and the file keeps growing with time
http://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/5426/a-bunch-of-2gb-cards-stopped-working-tonight-because-of-dag-file-size/p5
if it exceeds 2 gig,which it will eventually,you would have to switch to less profitable x11 coins or anything similar or buy 3 gig memory videocards

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 05:23:12 AM

16-14nm is going to be current technology for quite a while until we shift to 12nm or whatever the next step will be, power and performance gains will be very minor in the future, and ASICs should have a marginally longer life than they currently have. That said, it's your choice, and I actually don't recommend mining right now.

10nm pure silicon or 7nm silicon/germanium alloy/matrix, depending on if the Intel vision or the IBM vision makes it into mass production first.

BOTH have said "10nm is end of the road for pure silicon" - which implies a rather long gap to get the infrastructure built up to handle making wafers that are NOT pure silicon in sufficient quantity past 10nm.

The other issue with ETH mining the last month is that the profitability has gone back into "major drop" mode due to the huge number of folks moving into ETH mining + dag file size growth dropping hashrates a little across the board for existing rigs + price seems to be stagnating at best.
 I suspect there will be a short "bump" in a few months, when the DAG file gets so large that 2GB cards can't mine ETH any more, then back to dropping profitability 'till the big POS switch finally happens.

X11 is NOT a GPU option any more, can't even break even at 2c/KWH with ANY gpu due to the widespread deployment of multiple ASIC that handle X11. Baikal also handles X13/X15 and a couple other algorythms that don't have any "large scale" coins at all, write those off too.

XMR might be an option - but watch it tank on profitability hard if a bunch of ex-ETH mining cards suddenly shift when they can't do the DAG any more.

It does look like the ASIC wars are about to reopen, after too many months of BitMain having the only small-miner available new option. 8-)

Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 08:41:19 AM

XMR might be an option - but watch it tank on profitability hard if a bunch of ex-ETH mining cards suddenly shift when they can't do the DAG any more.

This is not an if but when.  POS for ETH might come sooner than expected if the China 0 fee "hacking" continues...in which case XMR difficulty would go through the roof.  I hope people enjoy playing video games...
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 11:41:01 PM

This is not an if but when.  POS for ETH might come sooner than expected if the China 0 fee "hacking" continues...in which case XMR difficulty would go through the roof.  I hope people enjoy playing video games...

There's a reason I've been building my recent rigs for what I've been doing with them - max flexibility and close to optimal for my PLANNED long-term usage of them (which the 1070 rigs have been doing for a month or so now, and the next 2 planned rigs will go straight into).

Up side - other than the 1070 rigs, I think pretty much all the hardware I've used on ETH is now paid for or VERY close.
 Down side - I'm having to scramble more than I'd prefer to keep enough income going with changes overall to cryptocoin mining the last few months *AND* my own move complicating things.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: