Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:05:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233947 times)
lerecidiviste

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 08:39:18 AM

For sure this is your thread and for now you are not getting much criticism over rewarding the super rich with the bulk of your coins since people kiss up to the devs in their own thread. However I can GUARANTEE you if this project takes off that will be the MAIN criticism that you will get going forward. All you will hear in later years is this was the coin that rewarded the already crypto rich. Unfaircoin.

Cry  i can agree on this IDEA S WHY FEED the one %

democracy try protect the weak against powerfull (it's not an easy job)

every choice, every line in the sand will generate loser and winners

the marketing side of it is maybe even more important = one question who is going to be your main user base ?

WHALES or tiny fish ?

(anyway if u feed tiny fish more, most of them are short of cash and will resell BYTEBALL very fast (flippers) in the hand of WHALES..... (democracy not easy job)

IF u think like a "bond issuer" you want stable user base that wont FLIP the byteball ........

not easy decision i must say

Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lerecidiviste

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 11:58:56 AM

The only fair criticism that I'd see as desirable to avoid is the exchanges and other ico wallets with 1000s of btc that aren't really 'theirs' suddenly having 'too much' to be beneficial for byteball.

Regarding ICO wallets, I reached out to James (jl777) who is currently running Komodo ICO.  He replied that keeping the received bytes for himself he considers unethical, and he will use the bytes as additional funding for Komodo.

I'm quite happy with this decision and hope other ICO founders will also use their funds responsibly.

I also contacted Christoph Hering, Founder & CEO of BlockPay, which had a pre-ICO not long ago.  His response was like I expected:
"As an ICO Startup, we would prefer option 3. and use the funds in the best interest of our investors. Holding Investor funds is a great responsibility and we need to act responsibly with the funds that do not belong to us."
Option 3 is receiving bytes and using them as additional funding for BlockPay.

Meaning every group holding significant BTC has only their best interests in mind?

Well its better than if they kept the funds for themselves personally.
Exactly my opinion.

Then again who will really bother to see if they keep to this?
Their investors have all reasons to bother, haven't they?

null the top 1 to 2 % of btc wallets from getting BB and do random day snapshot would solve all of these issues or not?
One issue is that exchanges and ICO fundraisers hold coins that don't actually belong to them.  So far it looks solvable.  Any other issues?

True the investors should take an interest in this. However not all ICO owners will stick to it like jl777 most will just pocket it and most other ICOs don't even have a ledger for how their BTC is spent? so why would they create any ledger for how their byte ball was spent or converted to BTC. You are putting a lot to trust when you have no need to.

Can you simply explain why you are reluctant to null the top 1 or 2 % of BTC wallets? I see no reason to go to all the hassle of asking exchanges and  ico devs to be fair and distribute the BB ...when we can just take them and BTC whales who already super rich out of the equation.

I mean if you are in the top 2% of BTC wallets can you really not afford to buy some BB if you choose? How many BTC do you have to be in the top 2% at this time??

You get the wide distribution but it will be seen as more fair to the crypto community.

For sure this is your thread and for now you are not getting much criticism over rewarding the super rich with the bulk of your coins since people kiss up to the devs in their own thread. However I can GUARANTEE you if this project takes off that will be the MAIN criticism that you will get going forward. All you will hear in later years is this was the coin that rewarded the already crypto rich. Unfaircoin.

I would even suggest nulling the top 5% of wallets or where ever has the most effect on the distribution curve.

Look at coins that can be seen in any way as being unfair lately... this could be seen as tantamount to a huge premine by BTC whales. It looks a great project I would just hate to see it tarnished with that brush. Imagine the manipulation accusations especially if exchanges don't play ball.

It just seems sensible to null the top x% of wallets and do a random snapshot.  Unless there is a good reason not to that I'm not seeing.
=========================================================================================

Smiley  my distribution idea =

your target = get the max users

your idea = free distribution to BTC owner

needed

1/CAP/filter to top out the "one percent" ( the max amt of BTC can be fixed quiet low in fact like 10 btc max)  *** see cryptohunter previous comment

2/cost of transaction/fees/commissions = my distribution idea

think it's the most important point to increase usage of the byteball's

*/most shop would dream not paying any fee to get payment (they will push byteball to their customers)====(fee payed only by the buyer)

*/ALL of us dream currency without transaction fees ( we pay fees on every payment method around )

so i get equivalent of 10 btc max of byteballs & get free transaction up to x % of that original amount  (best >100%)

so i now i can transact free for a long time ( x years depending of my speed of transaction )

this secondary DISTRIBUTION become your  MARKETING AGENT

BYTEBALL only currency with no transaction fee for the first 5 years .....

the entities recieving the "commissions" will of course resell it in the market, but the effect will be negligeable compare to the size of the "float"

THIS

yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2016, 12:06:22 PM

All you will hear in later years is this was the coin that rewarded the already crypto rich. Unfaircoin.

The problem is not just in rewarding crypto rich. The problem is that he is going to reward crypto rich who are his competitors, and he is going to give them his tokens because they keep huge amount of BTC which they don't really own.

lerecidiviste

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 01:36:07 PM

All you will hear in later years is this was the coin that rewarded the already crypto rich. Unfaircoin.

The problem is not just in rewarding crypto rich. The problem is that he is going to reward crypto rich who are his competitors, and he is going to give them his tokens because they keep huge amount of BTC which they don't really own.

agree 100 percent

meanwhile the ZCASH craze is going on full steem.....

https://www.bitmex.com/app/contract/ZECZ16
lerecidiviste

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 01:47:33 PM

Wink

let's test more the wallet app & build our LUCK

1/ send me 13 byteballs here = KEH3EVIQERUMB56ETUYTLM2AFIVKTFBK

2/ i send them back to you

3/ we can pair our wallets

4/ i send u 13 blackbytes

5/ u send them back to me

Tongue

anyone want try & test wallet pls Huh??
AltcoinScamfinder

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 03:51:33 PM

Sorry don't feel like reading full thread. Is distribution based on Bitcoin amount held in address?

FOR RENT.
zanzibar

Activity: 715

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 03:57:52 PM

And he's contacting the competitors to see what they will do, which is weird.
teletobi

Activity: 734

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 10:50:43 PM

Sorry don't feel like reading full thread. Is distribution based on Bitcoin amount held in address?

Maybe you read the OP at least.

Join the Elastic revolution!  Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC WEBSITE | NEW ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
tonych (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 964
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2016, 02:09:35 PM

null the top 1 to 2 % of btc wallets from getting BB and do random day snapshot would solve all of these issues or not?
One issue is that exchanges and ICO fundraisers hold coins that don't actually belong to them.  So far it looks solvable.  Any other issues?

Can you simply explain why you are reluctant to null the top 1 or 2 % of BTC wallets? I see no reason to go to all the hassle of asking exchanges and  ico devs to be fair and distribute the BB ...when we can just take them and BTC whales who already super rich out of the equation.

I mean if you are in the top 2% of BTC wallets can you really not afford to buy some BB if you choose? How many BTC do you have to be in the top 2% at this time??

You get the wide distribution but it will be seen as more fair to the crypto community.

I would even suggest nulling the top 5% of wallets or where ever has the most effect on the distribution curve.

Look at coins that can be seen in any way as being unfair lately... this could be seen as tantamount to a huge premine by BTC whales. It looks a great project I would just hate to see it tarnished with that brush. Imagine the manipulation accusations especially if exchanges don't play ball.

It just seems sensible to null the top x% of wallets and do a random snapshot.  Unless there is a good reason not to that I'm not seeing.

It is another issue you are raising.  Seems like you want to exclude (or significantly restrict) from the distribution all those who are rich, not just exchanges and ICO funds, but all those who are in the top x% percentile of BTC balance per address.  Your reasoning, it seems, is "just because they are already super rich".  While I do not agree it is enough of a reason, I also try to avoid a situation when a large percentage of bytes are owned by a single person, as this would be not a healthy decentralized financial system.  

Unfortunately all well-intentioned attempts to achieve a more even distribution by capping the balances per address or nulling the top x% are not only not bullet-proof, they can even have the reverse effect.  All these restrictions are gameable, one can simply split a big balance into many smaller ones and mix the coins in multiple steps.  It can be speculated how much they really want to go at such great lengths, many probably won't, but even if a few do game the rules, we'll arrive at a system with a few mega-whales (which are not readily identifiable because they hide behind thousands smaller addresses) when we could have a system with dozens of smaller whales if we didn't put the restrictions in place.  Is this what you want?

So, it seems, the best way to counter a big stake of a single whale, is with the stakes of other whales.

Simplicity is beauty
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2016, 02:29:42 PM

@tonych

Did you ever consider ways to issue tokens in decentralized manner, but without mining?

tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2016, 02:56:28 PM

@tonych

Did you ever consider ways to issue tokens in decentralized manner, but without mining?

We are talking about the eventual ownership, not issuance.
There is no problem with centralized issuance when it is a one-time event.

Simplicity is beauty
tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2016, 04:17:05 PM

BitcoinRush featured Byteball in his recent show:
https://twitter.com/bitcoin_rush/status/792108519436591104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxBCG9AbTdc
Enjoy Smiley

Simplicity is beauty
tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2016, 04:54:47 PM

Byteball v0.5.0 released https://github.com/byteball/byteball/releases

* Light wallet option for desktop wallets (the option is available only in new installs), now you don't have to wait that the sync completes and can start using the wallet immediately
* Show current percentage of sync
* Show more details in transaction history: unit and from address
* Multi-line input in chat
* On Windows and Mac, a badge is displayed on the app icon when a new chat message is received while the app is in the background, so you won't miss a message
* Fixed database locking issues on Android
* Fixed crashes when working with a multisig wallet that is not yet approved by all parties
* Better UI when trying to send private assets outside chat
* Protocol changed from byteball: to byteball-test: to allow future livenet wallet to co-exist with testnet wallet on the same device

Please upgrade desktop clients using the link above.  New version of android client was submitted to Google Play an hour ago, should update automatically unless you disabled autoupdates.

The next big step will be testnet-to-testnet linking, after which we'll launch a new testnet with distribution proportional to Bitcoin testnet balances.

Please retweet https://twitter.com/ByteballOrg/status/792410189966241793

Simplicity is beauty
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2016, 10:07:28 PM

@tonych

We are talking about the eventual ownership, not issuance.
There is no problem with centralized issuance when it is a one-time event.

I am talking about issuance in the first place. There are a number of problems with centralized issuance, which would not exist if the token was issued in decentralized way. So, you did not consider such possibility. Fair enough.

galaxiekyl
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1113

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 10:36:25 PM

* Light wallet option for desktop wallets (the option is available only in new installs), now you don't have to wait that the sync completes and can start using the wallet immediately
* On Windows and Mac, a badge is displayed on the app icon when a new chat message is received while the app is in the background, so you won't miss a message
* Fixed crashes when working with a multisig wallet that is not yet approved by all parties
* Protocol changed from byteball: to byteball-test: to allow future livenet wallet to co-exist with testnet wallet on the same device

Please upgrade desktop clients using the link above.  New version of android client was submitted to Google Play an hour ago, should update automatically unless you disabled autoupdates.

The next big step will be testnet-to-testnet linking, after which we'll launch a new testnet with distribution proportional to Bitcoin testnet balances.

wow good news..i see that you working in back door..so must save my bytes for update ? it work with old testnet ? 

congratulation bytesball will soon in the place  Smiley
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 07:55:10 AM

Just wow!  Grin

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2016, 08:32:04 AM

wow good news..i see that you working in back door..so must save my bytes for update ? it work with old testnet ? 

congratulation bytesball will soon in the place  Smiley

Back door?

Simplicity is beauty
grzem

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:51:51 AM

Nice package, but how to upgrade? (linux64)
I see some effort to make it user friendly, but how it should be installed to get desktop icon.

Since 2 years https://cryptox.pl low fees, no KYC.
pastapaska

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:54:35 AM

Good coin and concept, very innovative, but the distribution way is terrible, you only serve those btc whales. If someone has 10k-100k btc and verified his addy, so he will get most coins. Fair? It may kill the project.
tonych (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2016, 09:31:29 AM

Nice package, but how to upgrade? (linux64)
I see some effort to make it user friendly, but how it should be installed to get desktop icon.

Just unzip and overwrite the old version.
The app creates a .desktop file at ~/.local/share/applications (check that it exists), it should be automatically detected by the OS.

Simplicity is beauty
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: