Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:40:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233944 times)
barborrico

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 03:40:41 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 03:59:14 PM by barborrico

In fact, you have to change marketing seriously. Byteball it is not decentralized, and never will by design.

The cause is simply: when I want to become a witness, I have to ask EVERY NETWORK NODE (controlling byteball main hub would do this easier).  
Very different is the case when I want to become a miner, I DON'T HAVE TO ASK ANYONE.
Because of that, PoW is decentralized, and Byteball not.

Byteball is a DISTRIBUTED database with twelve high reputable nodes that help network to reach consensus.

That twelve nodes FORM a single point of failure, and the power those witnesses have over the network is not related to this fact.

Don't pretend to be what you are not.

Hi barborrico,

As I told previously to pineapple express, everybody can run a witness node and set it as its own permuted witness with the possibility of keeping the chain healty until the genesis unit with its own reality perception. Better, we can be the lighthouse of many. So, yes, you can be a non-official witness without asking permission to anyone and who knows if you'll not be one of official witnesses one day.

Bye
Of course, I can TRY to be a witness without asking permission. A witness node does not differ on a normal one. But why doing it? Only a big name can be witness in practice. It does not happen magically. It is related to have a reputation to lose if the witness starts to bad behaving (although only by colluding with another 5 or more). So, no, I can't be a non-official witness. Be elected by nodes is the same as asking for permission to all nodes for being on their witnesses list. I can only have that permission by having a reputation to lose.

I trust byteball.org/bb default hub, if it suggests me a witness change, I will accept.
In any case, I will change my witnesses list if it is incompatible with network.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meterse
Copper Member

Activity: 226
Merit: 8

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 04:17:07 PM

guys, the scalability of DAG supposed to be much, much better than blockchain?
Is this an advantage of BYTEBALL?

an advantage yes, but IMO the first crpto projects to get real world adoption will not do so because of scalability

100,000 TPS sounds great, but if the only thing it does is send money back and forth between wallets good luck getting people to use the network
CryptoUnicornRider

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 04:50:21 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 05:07:05 PM by CryptoUnicornRider

In fact, you have to change marketing seriously. Byteball it is not decentralized, and never will by design.

The cause is simply: when I want to become a witness, I have to ask EVERY NETWORK NODE (controlling byteball main hub would do this easier).  
Very different is the case when I want to become a miner, I DON'T HAVE TO ASK ANYONE.
Because of that, PoW is decentralized, and Byteball not.

Byteball is a DISTRIBUTED database with twelve high reputable nodes that help network to reach consensus.

That twelve nodes FORM a single point of failure, and the power those witnesses have over the network is not related to this fact.

Don't pretend to be what you are not.

Hi barborrico,

As I told previously to pineapple express, everybody can run a witness node and set it as its own permuted witness with the possibility of keeping the chain healty until the genesis unit with its own reality perception. Better, we can be the lighthouse of many. So, yes, you can be a non-official witness without asking permission to anyone and who knows if you'll not be one of official witnesses one day.

Bye
Of course, I can TRY to be a witness without asking permission. A witness node does not differ on a normal one. But why doing it? Only a big name can be witness in practice. It does not happen magically. It is related to have a reputation to lose if the witness starts to bad behaving (although only by colluding with another 5 or more). So, no, I can't be a non-official witness. Be elected by nodes is the same as asking for permission to all nodes for being on their witnesses list. I can only have that permission by having a reputation to lose.

I trust byteball.org/bb default hub, if it suggests me a witness change, I will accept.
In any case, I will change my witnesses list if it is incompatible with network.

Hi barborrico,

A witness node differs from normal nodes by its mandatory behavior. A witness node has to post periodically units on the chain to validate as fast as possible previous transactions (from normal nodes) by referencing them as parents.

True, be an official witness requires a high reputation within the Byteball community and the chance to have your witness unit selected as lighthouse is very low to not say inexistant. But this point can't stop you to run your own witness node and to set it in your main wallet to be your own witness and have your transaction confirmed faster. And if your friends trust you, you can be their permuted witness. And more people trust you, more chances you have to see your witness unit selected as a milestone of the main chain and even give you the hope to be elected as official in future.

In plus, running a non-official witness node will create an alternate version of history that could save all the chain integrity in case of unfortunate behaviors by one or more witnesses.

By the way, in my interpretation, the majority of witnesses means 6+1.

Bye
barborrico

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 05:07:49 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 05:31:24 PM by barborrico

Wild witness wasting bytes appeared!

A witness node differs from normal nodes by its mandatory behavior. A witness node has to post periodically units on the chain to validate as fast as possible previous transactions (from normal nodes) by referencing them as parents.
Hmmm afaik, a witness has no mandatory behavior. They post each 100 units or less in order to receive payload bytes from units referencing them, but they can no posting at all. Am I wrong? I do not remember reading that on the whitepaper.

True, be an official witness requires a high reputation within the Byteball community and the chance to have your witness unit selected as lighthouse is very low to not say inexistant. But this point can't stop you to run your own witness node and to set it in your main wallet to be your own witness and have your transaction confirmed faster. And if your friends trust you, you can be their permuted witness. And more people trust you, more chances you have to see your witness unit selected as a milestone of the main chain and even give you the hope to be elected as official in future.
Would you trust any individual? I dont know who to trust, so I let the hub/network restrictions decide.

In plus, running a non-official witness node will create an alternate version of history that could save all the chain integrity in case of unfortunate behaviors by one or more witnesses.
All chain integrity could be harm by unfortunate behaviors by one or more witnesses??!?!? Really??

ups
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 05:30:23 PM

Wild unknown witness wasting bytes appeared!
https://i.imgur.com/pt9JFMv.png

Hmmm afaik, a witness has no mandatory behavior. They post each 100 units or less in order to receive payload bytes, but they can no posting at all. Am I wrong? I do not remember reading that on the whitepaper.

Yes and no. I think it's a matter of interpretation. A witness who doesn't post frequently enough is, technically, useless for the network integrity and to assist normal nodes to have their transactions validated as fast as possible. So, that means this lazy witness is potentially a bad witness and should be exclude at term. A temporary lack of posting could be obviously tolerated when there are technical reasons but it should be limited in time.

So, in my opinion, a witness has a mandatory behavior to be selected/elected as a good witness.
barborrico

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 06:05:29 PM

Yes and no. I think it's a matter of interpretation. A witness who doesn't post frequently enough is, technically, useless for the network integrity and to assist normal nodes to have their transactions validated as fast as possible. So, that means this lazy witness is potentially a bad witness and should be exclude at term. A temporary lack of posting could be obviously tolerated when there are technical reasons but it should be limited in time.

So, in my opinion, a witness has a mandatory behavior to be selected/elected as a good witness.
A witness is incentivized to post frequently enough. This is not the same as having mandatory behavior.

Technically, if 7 witnesses stop posting, network halts. Due to a law enforcement, they could have to do it, who knows... Witnesses have to be very distributed over the world.

I think almost all users/all potential users don't care about witnesses selection, like me. They will accept whatever byteball foundation say. Or better said, what byteball.org/bb says regarding to witnesses list choices.
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 06:07:31 PM

Would you trust any individual? I dont know who to trust, so I let the hub/network restrictions decide.

All chain integrity could be harm by unfortunate behaviors by one or more witnesses??!?!? Really??

ups

Well, if you don't trust yourself barborrico, who can you trust ;-)

Honnest witnesses are here to warranty the chain integrity as lighthouses/milestones. And as I stated to pineapple express, bad behaviors can be detected by honnest witnesses. For instance, if dishonnest witnesses collude in an attempt to rewrite history, this foolish act will inevitabily generate orphan units and that breaks the chain integrity of these units until the genesis unit. Honnest witnesses will then select a parallel history to keep chain integrity.
barborrico

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 06:15:35 PM

Honnest witnesses are here to warranty the chain integrity as lighthouses/milestones. And as I stated to pineapple express, bad behaviors can be detected by honnest witnesses. For instance, if dishonnest witnesses collude in an attempt to rewrite history, this foolish act will inevitabily generate orphan units and that breaks the chain integrity of these units until the genesis unit. Honnest witnesses will then select a parallel history to keep chain integrity.

Oh, now I see it, thank you so much for all your responses, you sound like tony talking lol.
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 06:16:43 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 07:14:24 PM by CryptoUnicornRider

A witness is incentivized to post frequently enough. This is not the same as having mandatory behavior.

Technically, if 7 witnesses stop posting, network halts. Due to a law enforcement, they could have to do it, who knows... Witnesses have to be very distributed over the world.

I think almost all users/all potential users don't care about witnesses selection, like me. They will accept whatever byteball foundation say. Or better said, what byteball.org/bb says regarding to witnesses list choices.

As non-official witness, you definitely don't care about the incentives because you don't receive them.

No, network will not halt if 7 witnesses are down. But normal nodes will take more time to define their best chain until the genesis unit.

That's why, all people who care about Byteball network should honnestly consider to run a non official witness and set it as permuted witness for our own wallet and give our non official witness address to our friends.

Plan the worst to get the best.
barborrico

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 06:26:31 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 06:47:55 PM by barborrico

As non-official witness, you definitely don't care about the incentives because you don't receive them.

No, network will not halt if 7 witnesses are down. But normal nodes will take more time to define their best chain until the genesis unit.

That's why, all of people who care about Byteball network should honnestly consider to run a non official witness and set it as permuted witness for our own wallet and give our non official witness address to our friends.

Thank you again for your time

I am not saying that is not going to work, it is simply that I would call "distributed trust" instead of "decentralized trust", because anyone can easily see 12 witness as 12 central points.

Byteball is a distributed database with open access and distributed consensus amongst 12 high reputable witnesses.
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 06:37:52 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 07:13:30 PM by CryptoUnicornRider

That's why, all of people who care about Byteball network should honnestly consider to run a non official witness and set it as permuted witness for our own wallet and give our non official witness address to our friends.

Thank you again for your time

I am not saying that is not going to work, it is simply that I would call "distributed trust" instead of "decentralized trust", because anyone can easily see 12 witness as 12 central points.

Byteball is a distributed database with open access and distributed consensus amongst 12 witnesses.

You're welcome. And thank you for the previous compliment, that means my readings pay :-)
I'm just an admirator of the master creation ^_^;

And yes, the distinction is pretty subtile and the perception of witnesses true role is complex as you stated.

I think the consensus is more about the perception of who is honest or not than about the witnesses. Witnesses units are just milestones (and assistants to validate previous transactions as fast as possible) in the path until the genesis unit which allows normal nodes to select the best/main chain.  
barborrico

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 07:53:29 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2018, 08:23:30 PM by barborrico

And yes, the distinction is pretty subtile and the perception of witnesses true role is complex as you stated.

I think the consensus is more about the perception of who is honest or not than about the witnesses. Witnesses units are just milestones (and assistants to validate previous transactions as fast as possible) in the path until the genesis unit which allows normal nodes to selected the best/main chain.  

But, imo, you can't say "they are just milestones" when they are a key element. The referee of the match. The flow that makes transactions confirm and root them into reality. The path that all users follow to achieve finality of data they post.

Can you have a formal match without referee? No.

They are THE milestones.

Also I wanted to share another thing.

"well, we dont need to focus on tps because low usage...". But I see it differently:

Can be presented byteball to, for example, google, and ask them to be a witness, with a transaction platform which "only" achieves 15tps and clogs up at 20? NO.

Can be a good advertising the real tps amount after improvements? YES YES definitely yes.
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 19, 2018, 09:05:56 PM

I think the consensus is more about the perception of who is honest or not than about the witnesses. Witnesses units are just milestones (and assistants to validate previous transactions as fast as possible) in the path until the genesis unit which allows normal nodes to selected the best/main chain.  

But, imo, you can't say "they are just milestones" when they are a key element. The referee of the match. The flow that makes transactions confirm and root them into reality. The path that all users follow to achieve finality of data they post.

Can you have a formal match without referee? No.

They are THE milestones.

Also I wanted to share another thing.

"well, we dont need to focus on tps because low usage...". But I see it differently:

Can be presented byteball to, for example, google, and ask them to be a witness, with a transaction platform which "only" achieves 15tps and clogs up at 20? NO.

Can be a good advertising the real tps amount after improvements? YES YES definitely yes.

These milestones are key elements for normal nodes due to their reputation of honesty and because they immune the network against some kinds of attacks. But pathes choose by normal nodes don't need to cross all the witnesses (majority is enough) and in fact they can be parallel until the main chain jonction. In worst case scenario, the jonction will occur only at the genesis unit.

It's hypothetical, and deserves Tony confirmation, but I think that it could be possible to have a formal match even without "referees" because the normal nodes will choose the best path, from their own point of view, until the genesis unit. Unfortunately, the path could be pretty long and could cross the path of bad players. That's why Tony introduced the witnesses concept as a shortcut until the genesis unit and to immune the network against attacks.

Well, TPS is a complex question. I don't think to be able to give you a good answer because I agree at same time with the previous answer and with your position. I can just hope to be myself working on an improvement ^_^;

pineapple express

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 09:41:42 AM

wow nice pump today for gbyte on cryptox Shocked
tarmo888

Activity: 563
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2018, 02:59:22 PM

Nothing special about it, most markets for 24h are in green.
meterse
Copper Member

Activity: 226
Merit: 8

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 06:26:23 PM

www.mammon.app - The best app for cryptocurrency!

More Than 700+ Coins
Take a glance at the most popular crypto currencies' latest prices in your menu bar

Coin Prices In +30 Currencies
See coins' prices in more than +30 most traded currencies such as Dollar, Pound, Euro and more

Customizable Menu Bar View
Mammon is fully customizable and gives you the ability to manage your preferences

Reminders And Notifications
Target your aim and set up your reminder. Mammon will inform you when the price hits your target

Portfolio
Even if you are interested or invest in different coins, see how much money is in your pocket

YouTube
Steemit
Reddit
Medium

in Mexico mamon means 'dickhead, bastard' etc. its pretty offensive

mamon 4ever might be a good name
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 1708

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 11:18:03 PM

I am looking at it on Bittrex and there is a small 10% bump in price but nothing to be excited about. Currently the daily volume is only 6BTC so it basically means that the GBYTE market at the moment is very ill liquid.

I think until we break the 0.016 GBYTE/BTC rate then we are still in a bear market and we can still be making newer lows. Its unfortunate that we didn't get the Binance listing last month.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 01:01:52 AM

ups

Sorry barborrico and pinneapple express,

Small imprecision, it's not only honest witnesses that can detect bad behaviors and rupture of chain integrity but also normal nodes. So, normal nodes can change their path until older witness-authored units or worst until the genesis unit through alternate chains.
Thul

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 05:45:24 AM

I am looking at it on Bittrex and there is a small 10% bump in price but nothing to be excited about. Currently the daily volume is only 6BTC so it basically means that the GBYTE market at the moment is very ill liquid.

I think until we break the 0.016 GBYTE/BTC rate then we are still in a bear market and we can still be making newer lows. Its unfortunate that we didn't get the Binance listing last month.

Speculators don't put money in a coin with an association to a bite gag. Even a listing on Binance does not change this.

Marketing is still miserable, but in the end it's what the gamblers are into, because you can hardly actually apply a project so far.
CryptoUnicornRider

View Profile
October 21, 2018, 10:21:40 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2018, 10:36:12 AM by CryptoUnicornRider

Speculators don't put money in a coin with an association to a bite gag. Even a listing on Binance does not change this.

Marketing is still miserable, but in the end it's what the gamblers are into, because you can hardly actually apply a project so far.

Speculators put money where they want without care about immature opinions.

Your negativity is useless and most of your posts are irrelevants and irrespectuous.

Try at less to read carefully the whitepaper to avoid to look silly.
Pages: « 1 ... 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: