Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:35:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233954 times)
Simss

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 10:06:41 AM

Byteball doesn't need POW to work, the WCG distribution is a way among others to initially spread bytes. When a lot of rewards goes to mining pools whose the users don't even know they crunch for ByteBall, it s problem and we try to solve it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tarmo888

Activity: 563
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 11:51:51 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2018, 11:37:09 AM by tarmo888

Byteball doesn't need POW to work, the WCG distribution is a way among others to initially spread bytes. When a lot of rewards goes to mining pools whose the users don't even know they crunch for ByteBall, it s problem and we try to solve it.

Latest change to max 40 devices (per year) should take care of that kind of WCG workers.
barborrico

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 09:05:58 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2018, 12:17:32 AM by barborrico

Of course, you can slice their head, and you have sucessfully decentralized a witness.

Looks like you are still trying to make fun of the phrase "decentralized witness".  Maybe not the best way to say it, "independent witness" would sound better but I bet you understood it anyway.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Pinstripe

Activity: 35
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 05:27:46 AM
Merited by afbitcoins (5), LoyceV (2), tyz (1)

The Byteball Platform - Thoughts on a Rebrand

Greetings Byteball Community and Team.

My apologies for such a long post, and a re-post from our Reddit thread, but I felt some may not see it otherwise and that a full explanation was in order...

It's been a long time since I've posted any content on this thread, because, with a deep history in marketing and trading in various markets, I immediately realized the implications of the insensitive handling of the cancellation of the airdrops back in late Feb early March 2018. Yes, the old model was deeply flawed and needed a massive adjustment, but in my opinion, the goodwill and enthusiasm that the original distribution method generated was very strong and wonderfully price supportive over time, and promoted more everyday use of the assets. It encouraged more widespread adoption, through the energy and enthusiasm it created and it attracted new talent and new investors. It was very community friendly, and that is a good thing from any perspective. Very marketing friendly.

Now, with so many ID related distributions, things seem to have shifted somewhat in the opposite direction. There is not that much opportunity for those of us that prefer more anonymity to feel the excitement of getting an incoming transaction in the wallet. What a shame - I think Byteball is missing out Big Time!

The original distribution method was a very efficient & beneficial way to handle distribution of some of the remaining assets - over a long time into the future if done a bit differently - I believe it was a mistake to cancel them altogether, and a bit of a betrayal of those of us who did not participate in getting any free Bytes, instead, having to purchase them on the open market instead - I knew that the abrupt cancellation would cost the support of a large part of the community, and withdraw one of the pillars of price support in the marketplace. The rest is history.

So, after my appeal for a rethink (see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ByteBall/comments/7ylc73/dear_tonych/), and a more united community (see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ByteBall/comments/7zvigt/dear_fellow_byteballers/) got almost no response, in despair, I felt it was futile and began to retire from Byteball and the community, realizing that Byteball was in for a really rough ride with a greatly reduced community and a steady drop in value. However, I never lost my admiration and respect for what Tonych has created or the belief in the concept and infrastructure that has already been built with this amazing technology. I was no longer involved but continued to keep an eye on things.

However, in recent months, things began to change. I recognized that some profoundly new thinking and action plans have been implemented, and while not perfect, they are a huge step in the right direction. I'm extremely encouraged by what I see, and believe it is only a matter of time before this project takes it's rightful place among the top 10 crypto currencies, and so, I decided to re invest some of my time and energy.(almost immediately thereafter, took a 50% cut in terms of fiat :-) - shocking to say the least! The outside buying I expected just wasn't there in enough size to overcome the liquidation trend.

Which brings me to my latest concern:
From watching some of the latest video interviews, and reading team member comments, it seems the Team is considering a name change. If Byteball is to be re-named, it must be done with the utmost care, level thinking and fresh eyes. I do in fact believe we could do better when it comes to a name for the Platform. I have argued strongly against it in the past (see here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1608859.msg28035225#msg28035225), because I didn't think the name was so terrible (like the denomination issue) and it was not the most important thing to be addressed at that time . It would have been a huge amount of work and a huge waste of resources back then. But now, with some foundational elements in place (or in the works) and a more flexible attitude, it could be time to tackle this divisive "name thing".

There are many, many options for a new name, but I believe it should contain the word "Byte" if possible, to maintain some sort of continuity with the legacy product. My thoughts are that an easy way to do this would be to simply rename the platform to G-Byte (As in "the G-Byte Digital Asset Platform") I believe there could be value in leaving the "G" in G-Byte undefined and leaving it to the imagination, but it would be pronounced "G Byte". I like the ambiguity of the "G", because G could mean just "G" or Go or Gas or General or Great or Global or Gravity or Graph or Giga or Genuine or Genius or an endless multitude of different things. Leaving it to the imagination could be a good thing.

But there are many other possibilities as well - the question is how to choose one that lasts. A lot might depend on availability as well, but the name of the Core Platform is not the main reason for this post as I know others are working on it as well.

Above all, I believe the name of Blackbytes should change. It's not a great name in our increasingly politically correct world. I think a far better name for BlackBytes is CashByte. I think we should seize the name CashByte or CashBytes and push it like crazy. I have absolutely no doubt that CashByte could become a household name in a few years time.

In fact, There could be considerable advantages in re-orienting the marketing efforts and shifting to focus equally on the public "G-Byte" (or whatever name is decided) as well as the privacy focused CashByte. There is no reason for this to interfere with any of the current distribution methods or other offerings. It's really worth thinking about.

To test the concept and give the Byteball Community and Team a taste for what a G-Byte, CashByte combo might look and feel like, I will refer to CashByte & G-Byte for the remainder of this post. Old Byteball & Blackbytes = CashByte on the G-Byte Digital Asset Platform.

Here are just a few good reasons to consider this:
1. Everyone knows what cash is and just about everyone who uses a computer knows about Bytes. Ordinary people will immediately understand what CashBytes are.
2. There are twice as many Cashbyte in existence as G-Bytes (presumably the idea was for them to be used twice as much, eventually being the dominant currency), with regular Bytes powering a multitude of other digital assets & ICO's. Shouldn't we be pressing the privacy side much more? Question for Tonych: why were more than twice as many private currency units created? What was the intent?
3. Many of the current top 100 crypto currencies are highly focused on privacy, and clearly, privacy is extremely important in a world of constant and pervasive surveillance. G-Byte has a privacy option on DAG. It's is a vastly underappreciated aspect of the G-Byte platform. Imagine seeing "CashByte" on the G-Byte Digital Asset Platform climbing the ranks of the top 50 again. (if total capitalization includes "CashByte" as well)
4. Changing the marketing orientation from only G-Byte to both CashByte and G-Byte, opens up a whole new world of marketing opportunities, while not in any way interfering with the distribution methods currently in place for the non private currency - in fact, CashByte can be used to illustrate how the public asset is (like Etherium) used to enable transactions for all sorts of assets issued on the G-Byte network, not just CashByte. If you are involved in an ICO, you will need to acquire some G-Byte to enable your project, and if you're using CashByte, you also gonna need some G-Byte to make it happen.

An old idea revitalized:
With a bit of a marketing effort behind it, why not update and re-introduce the old airdrop program on the full moons at a vastly reduced rate. Along with everything that is already in place and on the way, this could give the project a reboot and the attention it deserves. It could be a very powerful growth engine for the decade to come.
Given that there are more than twice as many CashByte as G-Byte still to be distributed (quite a massive amount in fact), I think they can and should be used to create community enthusiasm and outside buying interest for G-Byte. This can easily be done with a vastly reduced airdrop campaign - ideally, a very small amount (say 1- 2% % per year, distributed monthly to G-Byte holders). It would be a fantastic way to repair a misstep of the past, create and maintain buzz and draw in additional development and investors. At this early stage, it could give the platform an automatic publicity and demand boost that it absolutely needs to have to be viable going forward. Seriously, ask yourselves, who is going to buy all of the remaining currency that must be sold to fund the operation without some kind of incentive to do so?

CashByte - Cash made for the Internet Age!

In full disclosure, I have gone to the trouble of registering some domains to try to protect the names I have mentioned. I was worried that they could be unavailable or fall into unsympathetic hands. Not all were available in the exact form desired, but enough of them were secured to make this a viable option if that is what the Team and Community desire.
If the Community, Team and Tony like the idea or a part of it, then it is my intention to transfer ownership of the relevant domain(s) at a nominal fee to the organization. I am asking for 10 GBYTE and 10 x 2.11 GBB (BlackBytes) as payment from the Community funds for my efforts. If no one cares, then I guess it's my loss and I'm ok with that.

P.S. Please bear with me if it takes me a little time to respond to any feedback this post might get - I'm absolutely swamped at the moment.

tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 10:27:40 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

In full disclosure, I have gone to the trouble of registering some domains to try to protect the names I have mentioned. I was worried that they could be unavailable or fall into unsympathetic hands. Not all were available in the exact form desired, but enough of them were secured to make this a viable option if that is what the Team and Community desire.
If the Community, Team and Tony like the idea or a part of it, then it is my intention to transfer ownership of the relevant domain(s) at a nominal fee to the organization. I am asking for 10 GBYTE and 10 x 2.11 GBB (BlackBytes) as payment from the Community funds for my efforts. If no one cares, then I guess it's my loss and I'm ok with that.

P.S. Please bear with me if it takes me a little time to respond to any feedback this post might get - I'm absolutely swamped at the moment.

While I don't have much to say about rest of your long post, this part just feels evil. Domains cost $10 and your trouble was worth 30 times of that + whatever the blackbytes are worth? You basically squatted the names to make a profit and then wrote a nice story around it. How many domains did you squatted? To me, it feels like these domains have already fallen into unsympathetic hands, but I guess it doesn't matter much because it hasn't been announced yet what the branding agency came up with.
PinchClock

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 12:43:13 PM

Did you know, that thanks to a huge team of 120 contributing translators, the Byteball wallet is available in 24 different languages?  Cool
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 12:56:03 PM

In full disclosure,

the embodiment of self serving dick move.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 01:50:27 PM

In full disclosure,

the embodiment of self serving dick move.

So true Cheesy

Here are some other great ways how to start a sentence:
"No offence, but ..."
"I am not racists, but ..."
im_not_dazzled

Activity: 325
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 02:03:31 PM

Hard year for Byteball, with dramatic drops of its price compared to its value early months this year.
Anyway, the Byteball project is a good one with so many innovative ideas, and strong community behind.
I believe about the future of Byteball next year.
Ribak1992

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 02:55:07 PM

the price fall is of course very strong. but if we take into account that many people got their money for free at that time and sold them when the growth went, think you should not be dissatisfied with the project. the project gave its profit to everyone who entered and left on time.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 03:59:56 PM

I can't participate, but I'd be interested to know if Byteball has any plans or plans to cooperate with larger companies, which I think would be the next step towards greater adaptation. The software and the features are - unlike many other distributed ledger projects -  ready for further adaptation in my opinion.

CryptoUnicornRider

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 06:22:57 PM

Hi everybody,

Last week, I sponsored a friend with a smartvoucher. Everything goes fine.

Then, I sent him few bytes to allow him to experiment the wallet and to validate his email address.

He validates it. Find the unit here : https://explorer.byteball.org/#7Lj+fRiMde1q9bZNbiUNAKo7EuWGs+CtNa5dLenAdbM=

Unfortunately, he never received the 10$ reward.

So, could the Byteball team assist my friend to get his reward ? And for my personal education, could you explain me what happens ? I have my idea on the question and it's the main subject of my next article, so your opinion could help me to be more precise.

Thank you very much
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2018, 10:43:26 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2018, 11:04:21 PM by afbitcoins
Merited by LoyceV (1)

My apologies for such a long post, and a re-post from our Reddit thread, but I felt some may not see it otherwise and that a full explanation was in order...

... ...

Thank you for sharing that post which I found to be an extremely interesting point of view. In fact the 5 merits I sent don't seem to do justice.

Disappointing I thought to see the very first response and others afterwards focusing on domain name and  accusing you of trying to profit from that. I didn't reach anywhere near that conclusion when I read through it. Rather I believe you have written from your heart how it is the state of the project as you see it.  I for one think it is good that you have held these domains for such a cheap price. (When Dash bought Dash.org it cost a lot lot more). Of course community might not agree with you anyway on choices of names...

I always considered the absolute top priorities for this project is to 1) become as decentralised as soon as possible by having a full list of independant witnesses and 2) to have the  supply distributed ASAP but some aspects of your post make me reconsider my view. Perhaps rebranding and some refocus might have more merit than I had considered.

I think bytecash is perfect for renaming blackbytes. I endorse that name totally. Tony have you seen this idea? Please consider. In fact I'd almost forgotten about blackbytes, they feel extremely neglected at this point like some unwanted skeleton in the closet.  Even though I was very intruigued by them when I first got into byteball. As you rightly point out they are a huge asset and should be promoted at the forefront. Is byteball so focused on proving ID on the DAG now blackbytes would rather be forgotten?

About  the name for bytes to G-Bytes I'm not so keen. Its very close to the symbol for the denomination, of G meaning 1,000,000,000 bytes. Could that not cause confusion? I think the platform could stay as byteball to me. Or maybe 'the byteball platform' HOwever I like that you have made such a clear reminder that bytes are for powering the platform and apps and stuff and that cashbytes (blackbytes) are there to be the cash.

As for the distribution I'm not going to go into it all again in detail I've had my say many times in many different ways earlier in the thread, basically I think I agree with you on that.
whotheff

Activity: 762
Merit: 35

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2018, 05:43:46 AM

Are there any translation bounties for wallet or website?
If yes, is there some limit for languages?

Pinstripe

Activity: 35
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 05:54:58 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

... ...

Thank you for sharing that post which I found to be an extremely interesting point of view. In fact the 5 merits I sent don't seem to do justice.

Disappointing I thought to see the very first response and others afterwards focusing on domain name and  accusing you of trying to profit from that. I didn't reach anywhere near that conclusion when I read through it. Rather I believe you have written from your heart how it is the state of the project as you see it....

Thank you afbitcoins! Your post captured my intention perfectly.

I thought long and hard how to approach this topic and realized that there is no pleasing everyone. Some will read my post with hostility and suspicion and some like you will see it for what it was - The fact is, I'm simply trying to do something positive for the project - as I have been trying to do (in my own way) ever since I first got involved.

I sincerely believe that the best possible replacement name for Blackbytes is CashByte and that a shift in focus a bit more to the privacy aspects on DAG could do the project a whole lot of good.

As someone who never got any free Bytes through full moon distributions, and who bought Byteball on the open market believing that I would receive a dividend, I think it's entirely reasonable to ask for a small payment from the community fund for my time, effort and money invested over time if the community likes the name(s) I suggested, and went to the trouble of registering to protect - it's not like I'm asking for a fortune - I'm quite sure the consultants working on a name change are getting paid at least ten times as much.

Anyways, I'm sure some will immediately jump to attack mode once again.

It's too bad that because of how things have played out for Byteball, a lot of negativity has developed on this forum. It's completely understandable, and spirited discussions are absolutely necessary, but if Byteball (or whatever it is to be called) is to thrive and prosper going forward, we must try to rebuild a community that works more harmoniously toward our common goal, instead of seizing the first opportunity to snipe at one another.

C'mon folks, let's all try to row together a bit more. A thriving community is essential if the Byteball platform is to succeed.

tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2018, 10:47:15 AM

Hi everybody,

Last week, I sponsored a friend with a smartvoucher. Everything goes fine.

Then, I sent him few bytes to allow him to experiment the wallet and to validate his email address.

He validates it. Find the unit here : https://explorer.byteball.org/#7Lj+fRiMde1q9bZNbiUNAKo7EuWGs+CtNa5dLenAdbM=

Unfortunately, he never received the 10$ reward.

So, could the Byteball team assist my friend to get his reward ? And for my personal education, could you explain me what happens ? I have my idea on the question and it's the main subject of my next article, so your opinion could help me to be more precise.

Thank you very much

Did they have @harvard.edu or @eesti.ee email address? Because at the moment, only those email addresses are rewarded and smart vouchers are only for real name attestation for now.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2018, 11:00:24 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2018, 01:43:35 PM by tarmo888

... ...

Disappointing I thought to see the very first response and others afterwards focusing on domain name and  accusing you of trying to profit from that. I didn't reach anywhere near that conclusion when I read through it. Rather I believe you have written from your heart how it is the state of the project as you see it....

Thank you afbitcoins! Your post captured my intention perfectly.

I thought long and hard how to approach this topic and realized that there is no pleasing everyone. Some will read my post with hostility and suspicion and some like you will see it for what it was - The fact is, I'm simply trying to do something positive for the project - as I have been trying to do (in my own way) ever since I first got involved.

I sincerely believe that the best possible replacement name for Blackbytes is CashByte and that a shift in focus a bit more to the privacy aspects on DAG could do the project a whole lot of good.

As someone who never got any free Bytes through full moon distributions, and who bought Byteball on the open market believing that I would receive a dividend, I think it's entirely reasonable to ask for a small payment from the community fund for my time, effort and money invested over time if the community likes the name(s) I suggested, and went to the trouble of registering to protect - it's not like I'm asking for a fortune - I'm quite sure the consultants working on a name change are getting paid at least ten times as much.

Anyways, I'm sure some will immediately jump to attack mode once again.

It's too bad that because of how things have played out for Byteball, a lot of negativity has developed on this forum. It's completely understandable, and spirited discussions are absolutely necessary, but if Byteball (or whatever it is to be called) is to thrive and prosper going forward, we must try to rebuild a community that works more harmoniously toward our common goal, instead of seizing the first opportunity to snipe at one another.

C'mon folks, let's all try to row together a bit more. A thriving community is essential if the Byteball platform is to succeed.

Obviously, you think that CashByte is the best replacement for the blackbytes because you have already squatted the domain name. I can already see at least 2 people (maybe just one, but can't tell if you have 2 usernames or not) who will be pissed off about the new name when the branding agency finds a different alternative for the privacy coin. And that has been my main concern with the name change from the beginning that there will always be somebody thinking that they had a better name for it. Even with the name change, there will be people who will still say that the new name is holding back the project because it is not what they were thinking is a best one.

I would have probably totally ignored your post if it would have not looked like a cash grab via domain squatting because it didn't add anything new to the discussion other than a nice story around the names that you squatted.

I have also squatted couple of domains and I am willing to give them away for the price of $10 each - that is the cost of trouble of registering a domain.
im_not_dazzled

Activity: 325
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 01:09:28 PM

Effects from bitcoin falls this time are terrible.
I can not deny this fact, and everyone too.
Nevertheless, we all might see the lights at the end of tunnel soon, like Roman said.
Byteball, in reality, is a good project, developed by energetic, efficient, and generous team.
I believe in Byteball.
CryptoRobert

Activity: 1015
Merit: 289

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 02:44:52 PM

While I don't have much to say about rest of your long post, this part just feels evil. Domains cost $10 and your trouble was worth 30 times of that + whatever the blackbytes are worth? You basically squatted the names to make a profit and then wrote a nice story around it. How many domains did you squatted? To me, it feels like these domains have already fallen into unsympathetic hands, but I guess it doesn't matter much because it hasn't been announced yet what the branding agency came up with.

Well, he had those names in mind, so it is not cypersquatting, it is a measure to AVOID cybersquatting, if his idea is accepted he fully deserves a little prize for the solution he has provided, if it is not accepted, then he'd make a little loss and nobody would care about these domain names anyway.
Since you don't understand what Cybersquatting is, check the definition given on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2018, 03:11:35 PM

Well, he had those names in mind, so it is not cypersquatting, it is a measure to AVOID cybersquatting, if his idea is accepted he fully deserves a little prize for the solution he has provided, if it is not accepted, then he'd make a little loss and nobody would care about these domain names anyway.
Since you don't understand what Cybersquatting is, check the definition given on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

That is just semantics. Yes, it is true that he didn't cybersquat existing trademark, but what he basically did was that bought a domains and then wrote a nice long post how the names he came up with were "best possible replacement name". If you want a known name for that behavior, that can be called as lobbying.

Anyways, this is not the proccess how Byteball gets a rebranding. There is a branding agency hired who will come up with the possible news names (and they will make sure it will not sound stupid in other languages). I think it has been said that community opinion will be taken account for selecting the final one, but I have no idea when that happens.
Pages: « 1 ... 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: