Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:21:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233916 times)
tonych (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 964
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2019, 11:01:41 AM

Hello!

Congratulations, but:

At least 12 hours the links for downloading the wallet from obyte.org do not work!
Authorization Required Error

Thanks for letting know, just fixed.

Simplicity is beauty

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nikolas.Glushe

Activity: 84
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 01:17:14 PM

Dear BYTEBALL community. We are pleased to inform you about our project https://bbchats.top/ which logs all important telegram chats related to BYTEBALL . We believe that BYTEBALL Chats will be a valuable addition to the BYTEBALL ecosystem. During the work of the site, we have already received a large number of positive feedback from community members. The project is under active development. The project has its own team of programmers, ready at any time to solve new technical problems and make new improvements.

What is implemented at the moment:
You can read your favorite sites in a convenient form for you through https://bbchats.top/
The site is optimized for work and on mobile devices. There is a search by keyword and date. It is possible to read the chat you want in your native language using Google Translate. The translation is not perfect, but it will allow you to receive the latest news as quickly as possible from the first sources.

In the near future, we plan to add the ability to share a specific telegram post in social networks. On the one hand, this will allow you to share interesting content with your friends and subscribers, and on the other hand, it will positively influence the development of BYTEBALL ’s popularity in general.

There is a lot of work ahead, we have planned a huge number of interesting and useful improvements. If you have any suggestions for improving our site, please write - we will try to take everything into account and use it in the further development of the site.

If you think that some important chat related to BYTEBALL is missing on our website, please write and we will add it.
CryptoRobert

Activity: 1015
Merit: 289

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 02:16:30 PM
Merited by tyz (1)

I like Obyte. Nice rebranding IMO.
There is currently a discussion on Reddit on the idea of Blackbytes being rebranded as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/obyte/comments/ah97m5/rebranding_rebranding/

As I've stated there, I like Blackbytes as a name, so I'd rather keep it. However if the team should decide to rebrand Blackbytes too, perhaps in the fear that "black" bytes could eventually be associated to black market, I’d suggest to perhaps go for Pbytes - Private Bytes, especially as P is the next alphabet letter after O - so we’d have Obytes and Pbytes.
Still, I prefer Blackbytes.
tarmo888

Activity: 563
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2019, 03:50:15 PM

There is currently a discussion on Reddit on the idea of Blackbytes being rebranded as well.

As I've stated there, I like Blackbytes as a name, so I'd rather keep it. However if the team should decide to rebrand Blackbytes too, perhaps in the fear that "black" bytes could eventually be associated to black market, I’d suggest to perhaps go for Pbytes - Private Bytes, especially as P is the next alphabet letter after O - so we’d have Obytes and Pbytes.

Pee bites.
julian071

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 04:33:57 PM

Pee bites.

Also, the token has not been renamed, it still is 'bytes'. There are no Obytes, just the Obyte-network.

Easy to get that wrong as Bitcoin signifies both the network and the token (tho one might argue that a satoshi is actually the token).

=P
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2019, 04:55:46 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2019, 06:17:34 PM by tarmo888

Pee bites.

Also, the token has not been renamed, it still is 'bytes'. There are no Obytes, just the Obyte-network.

Easy to get that wrong as Bitcoin signifies both the network and the token (tho one might argue that a satoshi is actually the token).

Yeah, Ethereum has it more clear than Bitcoin, SI base unit is Ether (ETH) and smallest unit on mainnet is wei.
Some say that Bitcoin (big B) is the platform and bitcoin (BTC) with small b is the SI base unit, satoshi is the smallest unit on mainnet. Ligtning network has even smaller unit.

Obyte is the platform, gigabyte (GBYTE) is the SI base unit, byte is the smallest unit on mainnet.
StandingTall

Activity: 81
Merit: 8

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 06:36:49 PM
Merited by tyz (2)

Honestly I'm not impressed because of this obsession with "byte" name. It would be better to come up with a more original name. This "byte" thing is pretty popular word and a number of cryptocurrencies already use it:

And now Obyte is supposed to catch people's attention? Nah.

The project is run too much like a company with Tony as CEO hiring some people for some positions and all important decisions are made with no feedback from community whatsoever. It's all behind the scenes during "board meetings" and community is just graciously struck with a "decision".

How about doing it this way:

Hey,

Dear Byteball Community, we listened to your suggestions and want to rebrand the project with a new name. Please give your proposition and we will put the most promising to a vote.  Byteball is cool and we can have voting via bot. After voting is completed we will decide the new name based on your votes and our preference.

Wouldn't that be a cool way to do it? Of course it would be. But instead we have this kind of "I'm in charge and I will decide" way of doing things. And here we are with another "Byte" cryptocurrency...

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2019, 06:46:52 PM
Merited by tyz (1)

Honestly I'm not impressed because of this obsession with "byte" name. It would be better to come up with a more original name. This "byte" thing is pretty popular word and a number of cryptocurrencies already use it:

And now Obyte is supposed to catch people's attention? Nah.

The project is run too much like a company with Tony as CEO hiring some people for some positions and all important decisions are made with no feedback from community whatsoever. It's all behind the scenes during "board meetings" and community is just graciously struck with a "decision".

How about doing it this way:

Hey,

Dear Byteball Community, we listened to your suggestions and want to rebrand the project with a new name. Please give your proposition and we will put the most promising to a vote.  Byteball is cool and we can have voting via bot. After voting is completed we will decide the new name based on your votes and our preference.

Wouldn't that be a cool way to do it? Of course it would be. But instead we have this kind of "I'm in charge and I will decide" way of doing things. And here we are with another "Byte" cryptocurrency...

Same can be said about all the cryptocurrencies with Bit in the name. I haven't looked into your examples, but you seem to forget that byte is a core thing about this platform and it is not part of the name just for fun or to be cool like other kids on the block.

Haters gonna hate, no matter what you do.

If you do the vote then you get names like Crypto McCryproface (google Boaty McBoatface - if you didn't get the reference).
StandingTall

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 07:03:42 PM

If you do the vote then you get names like Crypto McCryproface (google Boaty McBoatface - if you didn't get the reference).

But such name wouldn't win in the voting process. I don't think that the majority of the community would vote for such a stupid name. That's the point of voting - get rid of bad things that people don't like and see what people like.

The first thing that I thought about when seeing "Obyte" was: "What "O" stands for? Many people will ask themselves this question and nobody will have the answer because it apparently doesn't mean anything.

barborrico

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 07:55:53 PM

But such name wouldn't win in the voting process. I don't think that the majority of the community would vote for such a stupid name. That's the point of voting - get rid of bad things that people don't like and see what people like.
How would you do the votation?

The first thing that I thought about when seeing "Obyte" was: "What "O" stands for? Many people will ask themselves this question and nobody will have the answer because it apparently doesn't mean anything.
It is a ball. A ball is a core data structure on the protocol.

And byte is the core currency. It is very accurate, and without the association with lottery, like PowerBall, for example.
StandingTall

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 08:14:22 PM

How would you do the votation?

It doesn't matter anymore. Byteball is renamed to Obyte and we have to live with that. Only time will tell if this change will have any impact.

barborrico

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 08:32:30 PM

It doesn't matter anymore. Byteball is renamed to Obyte and we have to live with that. Only time will tell if this change will have any impact.
It matters.

To do the votation: or KYC (opinion of no KYC users is ignored)

or no-KYC (any form you would choose could be tricked, thus not representing community decision).

Fool, think before write, please.
sailthor

Activity: 276

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 09:46:44 PM

Haven't visited in awhile, whats the news on the rebrand? Has the new name been publicly announced?
It's finally happening  Grin good moves Tony

tarmo888

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2019, 11:46:52 PM

What do you mean, wouldn't win? Stupid shit wins regularly on public votes. Trump won, Brexit won. Boaty McBoatface won.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boaty_McBoatface

You think that O was picked randomly and added in front of byte? Did you even read the announcement? Do you even know why this project was called Byteball in the first place? Have you ever even read what is on the website? Kind of difficult to take you seriously when you still haven't figured it out.

There is no central entity that stores and processes all the payments. Instead, transactions created by users are cryptographically linked to each other, and once you add your new transaction, other users start adding theirs on top of yours, and the number of other transactions that link to your transaction grows like snowball (that's why the O in our name).
backdown00

Activity: 12
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 12:01:46 AM

What do you mean, wouldn't win? Stupid shit wins regularly on public votes. Trump won, Brexit won. Boaty McBoatface won.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boaty_McBoatface

You think that O was picked randomly and added in front of byte? Did you even read the announcement? Do you even know why this project was called Byteball in the first place? Have you ever even read what is on the website? Kind of difficult to take you seriously when you still haven't figured it out.

There is no central entity that stores and processes all the payments. Instead, transactions created by users are cryptographically linked to each other, and once you add your new transaction, other users start adding theirs on top of yours, and the number of other transactions that link to your transaction grows like snowball (that's why the O in our name).

merkel won.  trump is cool
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 07:04:27 AM

IMO Obyte is a good choice!

There were other proposals I liked more but the final result is what we can market internationally and which doesn’t sound bad or funny in any language, so I’m ok with it.

You can't please everyone, there'll always be some complaining.  Roll Eyes

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
ptrk

Activity: 137
Merit: 90

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 10:01:52 PM

What about the blackbytes? Is that still their name? Somebody propsed Pbytes (p as private). I like the proposal. Abytes (a as anonymous) could be an alternative.
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 11:05:45 PM

Whoa, so can someone walk me through how this new name was chosen?

I am glad "ball" was taken out of the name. rofl. But what does the "O" stand for now?

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 11:31:50 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2019, 11:45:50 PM by tarmo888

Whoa, so can someone walk me through how this new name was chosen?

I am glad "ball" was taken out of the name. rofl. But what does the "O" stand for now?

How is this still mystery?

Once a unit is broadcast into the network, and other users start building their units on top of it (referencing it as parent), the number of secondary revisions required to edit this unit hence grows like a snowball. That’s why we call this design Byteball (our snowflakes are bytes of data).
~ https://obyte.org/Byteball.pdf

Also, checkout Chapter 9. (Balls) and Chapter 10. (Last ball) in whitepaper.

~ https://obyte.org

So, basically, the O stands for a snowball that is made of bytes.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2019, 12:46:41 AM

Based on draw airdrop winner selection algorithm (https://gist.github.com/tonyofbyteball/99b5e5001dc81ed296a0525d5eb38cde) and its revisions, I wrote a Node.js script on Runkit that downloads the snapshot from http://draw.obyte.org/ and recalculates wheter it gets the same results, so here are all the draws so far:
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.6
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.5
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.4
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.3
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.2
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.1

I will keep creating new revisions for upcoming draws too, but you can clone this to your own Runkit account too, this will always download the latest snapshot
https://runkit.com/tarmo888/obyte-draw-airdrop-proof-of-randomness/1.0.0
Pages: « 1 ... 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: