Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:22:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233953 times)
pineapple express

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
September 02, 2019, 08:32:01 AM

You are both right about the skin in the game. Yes any value is the skin in the game. And not always equal value is of equal importance. Obviously, the value earned by one’s own hard work is more important than the value obtained without much effort (lottery, inheritance, high return passive investment)
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
September 04, 2019, 01:28:44 AM

The "skin in the game" issue is an instance of what the ancient Greeks called a "sorites" or heap paradox. They show up in all sorts of places. Corny example - you can't make a person rich by giving the person a penny, but if you do it again and again, eventually the person becomes rich. When, exactly, do they become rich? There is no clear answer, hence paradox. Skin in the game is still a useful concept, if not a precise measure of something. Side note - the penny story makes a nice proof by example that this old chestnut is false: "doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results is the definition of insanity." Life is sooooo complicated.    Wink

Anyway. Obyte is one of my faves as a candidate to replace fiat, but the magic hasn't happened yet. Ya never know when the moment might come though.

garyn
Copper Member

Activity: 154
Merit: 18

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 06:50:57 PM

Is there anyone here from the Byte ball Team or company to answer a quick question?
bibonix

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 10:04:42 PM

Is this thing minable? I have a farm running in China. Which algorithm do you guys use? PM me if you need this to be mined. I am open for suggestions.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 12:14:12 AM

Is this thing minable? I have a farm running in China. Which algorithm do you guys use? PM me if you need this to be mined. I am open for suggestions.

No. Coins are distributed at the whim of one guy named Tony.
barborrico

Activity: 111
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 03:37:19 PM

No. Coins are distributed at the whim of one guy named long term thinking.

Now it is better said.
tarmo888

Activity: 563

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2019, 05:38:11 PM

Nice FUD, but in order that to be true, he would need to have control of which transactions end up in Bitcoin block on Friday noon UTC.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 06:25:00 PM

Nice FUD, but in order that to be true, he would need to have control of which transactions end up in Bitcoin block on Friday noon UTC.

This week it's based on bitcoin txs, next week it's whoever posts a pic of something round on insta, following week it's whatever he feels like. This thing went to shit when the distributor decided that he would do away with the initial distribution social contact, and it's gotten shittier and shittier the further Lord Almighty distributor has veered away from it. You can call it FUD but the only metrics that matter, price and engagement, have objectively fallen off a fucking cliff. Happy Friday  Smiley
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2019, 07:46:25 PM

This week it's based on bitcoin txs, next week it's whoever posts a pic of something round on insta, following week it's whatever he feels like. This thing went to shit when the distributor decided that he would do away with the initial distribution social contact, and it's gotten shittier and shittier the further Lord Almighty distributor has veered away from it. You can call it FUD but the only metrics that matter, price and engagement, have objectively fallen off a fucking cliff. Happy Friday  Smiley

Aren't you advocating that this situation needs to be changed at the same time when you are saying it is changing too much? Which one is it then? Should a distribution be left unchanged if it doesn't archive it's goal and should the distribution be written in stone even if it turns out to be hurting the project? Where are all those initial distribution social contract people, was that really a good distribution? If it was, then where are they? They just sit on their balls and that's it, no use of them for the project at all.

Do you understand that Obyte would stick to one distribution if it would find the one that works and wherever it works, the #ophoto campaign reached people, which WCGrid distribution probably didn't reach. More varied people than just hard-core hodlers is better for the project in a long run.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2019, 08:21:22 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2019, 08:39:43 PM by tarmo888

We are still open for suggestions of better distribution methods. On paper, everybody would create a better cryptocurrency and better distribution, but in reality, people just like to whine. Be different, get creative.
https://medium.com/obyte/distribution-methods-revisited-we-need-you-b0a38800b722

If you could develop the distribution with Autonomous Agents then it will be even better because the distribution could be done even more transparent because all the data would be on public DAG,. As a developer, you would be helping to make Obyte more tested by the time of AA mainnet launch and while coming up with new distribution method, you could win prizes.
https://medium.com/obyte/obyte-autonomous-agents-developer-contest-6a67ae3dacd2

Even if your new distribution method sucks, but you are good at finding show-stopping bugs that crash the whole testnet network, you could still win a prize for helping to discover bugs like that.
https://medium.com/obyte/third-round-of-obyte-autonomous-agents-developer-contest-4a7df3d70b29

If your idea is to burn the whole distribution fund on Bitcoin holders then no need to apply, Obyte tried that already and it didn't work. Good distribution is not the one that burns the distribution fund faster, but the one that actually brings more people to Obyte who will stick around and actually use it.

jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2019, 09:24:11 PM

This week it's based on bitcoin txs, next week it's whoever posts a pic of something round on insta, following week it's whatever he feels like. This thing went to shit when the distributor decided that he would do away with the initial distribution social contact, and it's gotten shittier and shittier the further Lord Almighty distributor has veered away from it. You can call it FUD but the only metrics that matter, price and engagement, have objectively fallen off a fucking cliff. Happy Friday  Smiley

Aren't you advocating that this situation needs to be changed at the same time when you are saying it is changing too much? Which one is it then? Should a distribution be left unchanged if it doesn't archive it's goal and should the distribution be written in stone even if it turns out to be hurting the project? Where are all those initial distribution social contract people, was that really a good distribution? If it was, then where are they? They just sit on their balls and that's it, no use of them for the project at all.

Do you understand that Obyte would stick to one distribution if it would find the one that works and wherever it works, the #ophoto campaign reached people, which WCGrid distribution probably didn't reach. More varied people than just hard-core hodlers is better for the project in a long run.

No, I'm saying he fucked it up and you can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
StandingTall

Activity: 81
Merit: 8

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 11:11:57 AM

We are still open for suggestions of better distribution methods.

I think translators of the wallet app should be rewarded for their work. They spend time working and allow users to operate wallet in native languages which brings value to the network. Alas they get nothing in return. Instead funds are spent on random people with lottery.

The wallet app is translated 100% in only 10 languages. Some incentive wouldn't hurt.

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
CryptoRobert

Activity: 1015
Merit: 289

View Profile
September 08, 2019, 12:04:26 PM

I think translators of the wallet app should be rewarded for their work. They spend time working and allow users to operate wallet in native languages which brings value to the network. Alas they get nothing in return. Instead funds are spent on random people with lottery.

The wallet app is translated 100% in only 10 languages. Some incentive wouldn't hurt.

I second that. Bounties for HQ work would put bytes in the hands of people who really deserve them - which surely would benefit adoption. Indeed it's a nonsense NOT to pay translators while giving out tons of bytes to random lottery winners. I could myself do excellent translations in Italian, should they be needed and should there be a reward for that.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2019, 09:24:45 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2019, 10:35:28 PM by tarmo888

I second that. Bounties for HQ work would put bytes in the hands of people who really deserve them - which surely would benefit adoption. Indeed it's a nonsense NOT to pay translators while giving out tons of bytes to random lottery winners. I could myself do excellent translations in Italian, should they be needed and should there be a reward for that.

What are you guys talking about? The translators have always been rewarded for their previous translations and there was just week ago a translation campaign announcement on Discord to translate the GUI wallet again because lot of texts have changed since most of the languages were translated last time. Italian is already fully translated and will be released with new version.

We initially accepted only DaVinci and Utopian.io translators/proofreaders because the quality was higher there, but now we have extended it to community members too (people who actually use the app). Translations are funded from community fund (donations from Realname Attestation bot and fees from Username Attestation bot). There isn't that much to translate as there is funds in distribution fund, so your criticism on other distribution methods (draw airdrop is not the only one) doesn't make much sense.
StandingTall

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 05:31:56 AM

What are you guys talking about? The translators have always been rewarded for their previous translations and there was just week ago a translation campaign announcement on Discord to translate the GUI wallet again because lot of texts have changed since most of the languages were translated last time. Italian is already fully translated and will be released with new version.

We initially accepted only DaVinci and Utopian.io translators/proofreaders because the quality was higher there, but now we have extended it to community members too (people who actually use the app). Translations are funded from community fund (donations from Realname Attestation bot and fees from Username Attestation bot). There isn't that much to translate as there is funds in distribution fund, so your criticism on other distribution methods (draw airdrop is not the only one) doesn't make much sense.

What are the rules for these supposed rewards?

tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2019, 10:28:05 AM

What are the rules for these supposed rewards?

You need to signup on Crowdin, where all the translation are.
You translate all the strings, so the wallet is 100% translated.
You translate it so it actually makes sense and is not just a straight machine translation.
Somebody else needs to proofread all the strings.
Some chat bots can be translated too, but right now we translating wallet because it has had most changes, website probably will be translated again when the rebranding is finished.
layer1gfx
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1109

Graphic Design & Translation - BTC accepted here!

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2019, 11:19:45 AM

i remember translations have been handled on crowdin a year ago: https://crowdin.com/project/byteball

that was before translations have been handled via discord / davinci / utopian.io.
i can check what has been done around that time, maybe we could discuss a belated compensation for german translation work, since i didn't get paid.

i will also check on discord if any help is needed for the GUI translation.
CryptoRobert

Activity: 1015
Merit: 289

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 02:55:19 PM

i remember translations have been handled on crowdin a year ago: https://crowdin.com/project/byteball

that was before translations have been handled via discord / davinci / utopian.io.
i can check what has been done around that time, maybe we could discuss a belated compensation for german translation work, since i didn't get paid.

I remember clearly that a few years ago translations were not paid at all. I would have loved do the Italian translation then, which was missing, but then I didn't since there was no reward for that - while at the same time tons of Gigabytes where thrown at BTC holders. Perhaps you were not in Byteball community back then tarmo888.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2019, 03:38:38 PM

I remember clearly that a few years ago translations were not paid at all. I would have loved do the Italian translation then, which was missing, but then I didn't since there was no reward for that - while at the same time tons of Gigabytes where thrown at BTC holders. Perhaps you were not in Byteball community back then tarmo888.

Maybe there wasn't translations campaigns during the first year, but there has been rewards since 2018 March, but that mainly DaVinci and Utopian.io translators, so others were not even accepted to join Crowdin project back then, unless they were also Slack community member. Somebody called Robert got paid for Italian translations in 2018 June.

Translations are still handled via Crowdin, the community is just on Discord now.
StandingTall

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 06:05:17 PM

You need to signup on Crowdin, where all the translation are.
You translate all the strings, so the wallet is 100% translated.
You translate it so it actually makes sense and is not just a straight machine translation.
Somebody else needs to proofread all the strings.

And then who gets what?

Pages: « 1 ... 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 [1095] 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: