Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:50:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233953 times)
layer1gfx
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1109

Graphic Design & Translation - BTC accepted here!

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2019, 06:01:57 AM

We are still open for suggestions of better distribution methods.

I think translators of the wallet app should be rewarded for their work. They spend time working and allow users to operate wallet in native languages which brings value to the network. Alas they get nothing in return. Instead funds are spent on random people with lottery.

The wallet app is translated 100% in only 10 languages. Some incentive wouldn't hurt.

I second that. Bounties for HQ work would put bytes in the hands of people who really deserve them - which surely would benefit adoption. Indeed it's a nonsense NOT to pay translators while giving out tons of bytes to random lottery winners. I could myself do excellent translations in Italian, should they be needed and should there be a reward for that.

What are you guys talking about? The translators have always been rewarded for their previous translations and there was just week ago a translation campaign announcement on Discord to translate the GUI wallet again because lot of texts have changed since most of the languages were translated last time. Italian is already fully translated and will be released with new version.

We initially accepted only DaVinci and Utopian.io translators/proofreaders because the quality was higher there, but now we have extended it to community members too (people who actually use the app). Translations are funded from community fund (donations from Realname Attestation bot and fees from Username Attestation bot). There isn't that much to translate as there is funds in distribution fund, so your criticism on other distribution methods (draw airdrop is not the only one) doesn't make much sense.

i remember translations have been handled on crowdin a year ago: https://crowdin.com/project/byteball

that was before translations have been handled via discord / davinci / utopian.io.
i can check what has been done around that time, maybe we could discuss a belated compensation for german translation work, since i didn't get paid.

i will also check on discord if any help is needed for the GUI translation.

I remember clearly that a few years ago translations were not paid at all. I would have loved do the Italian translation then, which was missing, but then I didn't since there was no reward for that - while at the same time tons of Gigabytes where thrown at BTC holders. Perhaps you were not in Byteball community back then tarmo888.

same here, i remember discussing that with the main translation coordinator punqtured on crowdin. he got only a small gbyte donation to distribute, not worth mentioning. i also think the rewards should be paid more generously to translators. it should be at least the standard industry rate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tarmo888

Activity: 563
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2019, 03:33:00 PM

i remember translations have been handled on crowdin a year ago: https://crowdin.com/project/byteball

that was before translations have been handled via discord / davinci / utopian.io.
i can check what has been done around that time, maybe we could discuss a belated compensation for german translation work, since i didn't get paid.

i will also check on discord if any help is needed for the GUI translation.

I remember clearly that a few years ago translations were not paid at all. I would have loved do the Italian translation then, which was missing, but then I didn't since there was no reward for that - while at the same time tons of Gigabytes where thrown at BTC holders. Perhaps you were not in Byteball community back then tarmo888.

same here, i remember discussing that with the main translation coordinator punqtured on crowdin. he got only a small gbyte donation to distribute, not worth mentioning. i also think the rewards should be paid more generously to translators. it should be at least the standard industry rate.

Yes, the reward has been low, but what's the point of rewarding community translators at the same rate as industry if you could just hire a professional translator instead? Most cryptocurrency translators produce quite horrible quality translations, which is super difficult to verify because you need at least decent proofreader who would double-check if the translations make any sense. That's why Obyte initially focused on communities where there was already decent translators available and the reward was just a token of gratitude. The reward was not always low (around $5 in the beginning), it was just fixed in MB, not in dollars, so it just kept loosing value. The new campaign rewards also around $5 for 2400 words, fixed in MB again because the budget is in bytes.
layer1gfx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2019, 08:02:09 AM

i am offended by your statement. then, why hire translators at all? just use google translate. Tongue
i am in crypto since a long time and usually get paid properly for professional translations.

$5 for 2400 is a pittance - but you get what you pay for.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2019, 10:26:15 AM

i am offended by your statement. then, why hire translators at all? just use google translate. Tongue
i am in crypto since a long time and usually get paid properly for professional translations.

$5 for 2400 is a pittance - but you get what you pay for.

I think you missed everything I said.
Most crypto translators do machine translations, but it is difficult to verify the translation quality.
It doesn't make sense to pay industry standard rate for Google Translations because if you hire actual translator outside of crypto space at industry rate then you can be sure you get a good translation.
Obyte is not hiring translations, reward is just token of gratitude for contributing to open-source project.
layer1gfx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2019, 10:52:27 AM

maybe i didn't miss the point. anyway, i understand and it doesn't matter too much. cheers Cool
fuk

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2019, 12:41:43 PM

How much funding does Obyte have left?
What are the current operational costs?
StandingTall

Activity: 81
Merit: 8

View Profile
September 11, 2019, 06:04:50 PM
Merited by layer1gfx (1)

around $5 for 2400 words

In the meantime 800 GB ($16000) is spent every month on a silly lottery. Makes perfect sense, isn't it?

Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2019, 07:02:05 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2019, 11:56:36 AM by tarmo888

around $5 for 2400 words

In the meantime 800 GB ($16000) is spent every month on a silly lottery. Makes perfect sense, isn't it?

Is it silly just because you don't have any friends to invite to take part of it, so you could have higher chance of winning?
You do realize that there is just handful of things to translate? This means translators would be very limited audience who to distribute anything and most of the time they produce text that no native person would ever want to use. Basically, it makes sense to translate Obyte only into German, Spanish, Italian and Chinese. Adding some other obscure languages doesn't increase its adoption.
Draw Airdrop has over 1300 addresses linked that have more than 1MB and over 700 addresses with more than 1GB and over 900 unique attested users.
Get some perspective. Also, the average is 600GB per month, 800GB is the maximum.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16541

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2019, 05:32:40 PM

In the meantime 800 GB ($16000) is spent every month on a silly lottery.
I enrolled a long time ago, but got demotivated witht he bad odds if I refused KYC, so I never checked back. There's a very small chance I won, but since my wallets are in a VM and probably need an update, I didn't check anymore.

I'm just posting here to test Bumping changes on some boards.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2019, 07:58:22 PM

I enrolled a long time ago, but got demotivated witht he bad odds if I refused KYC, so I never checked back. There's a very small chance I won, but since my wallets are in a VM and probably need an update, I didn't check anymore.

I'm just posting here to test Bumping changes on some boards.

If you don't want to do the KYC then you still have an option to link 1000 GB and have the same odds on King of Goldfish draw as somebody else who did KYC with 10 GB balance.
U

Activity: 503
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 13, 2019, 04:51:43 AM

Where to trade BB now,any exchanges?
Or the current client support BB trading with bot?

Bitcoin Ethereum TERA
bobq

Activity: 1148
Merit: 307

View Profile
September 13, 2019, 11:20:47 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

I have to give my Iphone to Apple assistence for changing the battery, and I'm having an attested multisig wallet on the iphone - which of course I wouldn't like lo lose. Of course I'd empty that address containing bytes, but how to avoid that some rogue Apple employee makes a backup of the wallet for himself? One solution seemed to backup the wallet and erase Obyte entirely, but after I've made the backup I didn't find any way to restore it since iphone cannot locate the file.
Is therefore the Obyte app for Iphone actually useless, since you'll have to delete it with all its addresses first time you need to change the phone's battery?

tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2019, 01:30:50 PM

Where to trade BB now,any exchanges?
Or the current client support BB trading with bot?

Same exchange bot as before, just different name https://blackbytes.io
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2019, 01:36:44 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

I have to give my Iphone to Apple assistence for changing the battery, and I'm having an attested multisig wallet on the iphone - which of course I wouldn't like lo lose. Of course I'd empty that address containing bytes, but how to avoid that some rogue Apple employee makes a backup of the wallet for himself? One solution seemed to backup the wallet and erase Obyte entirely, but after I've made the backup I didn't find any way to restore it since iphone cannot locate the file.
Is therefore the Obyte app for Iphone actually useless, since you'll have to delete it with all its addresses first time you need to change the phone's battery?

You can set the "Request password" from "Spending Restrictions" section on Settings screen, then they can clone your wallet, but they won't be able to do much with it.
Restoring the backup should be in the same places where making the backup is, in the app on Settings screen. Make sure you have the latest version because earlier iOS versions didn't have fully fleshed out backup system, but it should work on recent systems. Try to save the backup in folder that can be accessed.
bobq

Activity: 1148
Merit: 307

View Profile
September 13, 2019, 02:44:44 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

You can set the "Request password" from "Spending Restrictions" section on Settings screen, then they can clone your wallet, but they won't be able to do much with it.
Restoring the backup should be in the same places where making the backup is, in the app on Settings screen. Make sure you have the latest version because earlier iOS versions didn't have fully fleshed out backup system, but it should work on recent systems. Try to save the backup in folder that can be accessed.

Thanks. Since by now my phone is already in their hands, with just emptied wallets, would it work all the same if I'll password protect the wallet later, before loading it again with coins? Would a backup of an unprotected wallet stay unprotected? IE is the password protection local or dag stored, affecting that address wherever it is?
As for the backup, we are talking about Iphone, not Android, I'm not aware of any folder you can access on Iphone. Before giving an answer you should have tried it successfully yourself. I have tried it for almost an hour, without any success. So either there is a way - in which case I'd like to read a precise tutorial - or there is no way, in which case you'd better remove the backup function from the Ios wallet.

tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2019, 04:27:42 PM

Thanks. Since by now my phone is already in their hands, with just emptied wallets, would it work all the same if I'll password protect the wallet later, before loading it again with coins? Would a backup of an unprotected wallet stay unprotected? IE is the password protection local or dag stored, affecting that address wherever it is?
As for the backup, we are talking about Iphone, not Android, I'm not aware of any folder you can access on Iphone. Before giving an answer you should have tried it successfully yourself. I have tried it for almost an hour, without any success. So either there is a way - in which case I'd like to read a precise tutorial - or there is no way, in which case you'd better remove the backup function from the Ios wallet.

If somebody clones your unprotected wallet then it doesn't matter if you add password-protection later, they would already have the copy, which is not protected.

Don't know how iPhones work, I know it offers you to "Save to files" or share it to email or Cloud Drive or what not. If it doesn't have folder or directories, does it have different locations? Like Documents, Download and so on? Try to save it to Cloud Drive and see if you can restore it from there. Full backups are password protected so, it should be safe to send it outside of the device.
tarmo888

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2019, 04:27:10 PM

User on Discord said that they tried to backup and restore on iPhone and it worked as it was suppose to work by either saving the backup to "files" or to cloud service (Dropbox).
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1706

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2019, 08:13:58 AM

I enrolled a long time ago, but got demotivated witht he bad odds if I refused KYC, so I never checked back. There's a very small chance I won, but since my wallets are in a VM and probably need an update, I didn't check anymore...

I keep watching Obyte from so long and don't know anything about these promotions mentioned above. How to find info about them?

What for promotions are ongoing for Obyte and how is the rest distributed now? I see discussion about this above but no facts.

jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 08:53:31 AM
Merited by wwzsocki (1)

I enrolled a long time ago, but got demotivated witht he bad odds if I refused KYC, so I never checked back. There's a very small chance I won, but since my wallets are in a VM and probably need an update, I didn't check anymore...

I keep watching Obyte from so long and don't know anything about these promotions mentioned above. How to find info about them?

What for promotions are ongoing for Obyte and how is the rest distributed now? I see discussion about this above but no facts.
Most likely they are talking about the Weekly Draw. It was announced here in the thread and on a Medium post last December 2018. If you are curious about the details, you are free to visit the given links.

They are actively posting updates on their social media accounts, you better follow them there too.
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1706

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2019, 09:10:07 AM

Most likely they are talking about the Weekly Draw. It was announced here in the thread and on a Medium post last December 2018. If you are curious about the details, you are free to visit the given links...

Thanks for this very fast and detailed answer. As always I am too late because Weekly Draw was planed only for 6 months and started in December 2018.

Weekly draw is a new distribution method that rewards Byte holders...

How long will this distribution last?

We plan to run these draws weekly. There is no specified end date but we hope to run the draws for at least 6 months. Needless to say, the weekly draws cannot last forever (only 1 million GB of Bytes and 2.1111 million GBB of Blackbytes will ever exist)... The first draw is on Friday Dec 14 at 12:00 UTC...

I thought it was for all holders but there was an additional requirement to whitelist the Obyte address to be eligible for the Weekly Draw.

So I understand that not much left to distribute?

Pages: « 1 ... 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: