Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:30:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reuse of pub key hashes in coinbase outputs  (Read 664 times)
No_2 (OP)

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 12:30:34 PM

I remember reading somewhere that at a certain block depth the network began enforcing that coinbase output addresses could not re-used because this was causing problems. Something to do with referencing the second coinbase with the same pub key hash, meaning the bitcoins in this second coinbase effectively became undependable.

Sorry to be so vague but is this correct and if so why? If not is it closely related to a similar constraint for coinbase outputs?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2016, 12:34:30 PM

No... Where did you hear that? There is nothing special about a coinbase output. It is still spent from in the same way.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 01:21:03 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2016, 01:37:20 PM by Foxpup

No... Where did you hear that? There is nothing special about a coinbase output. It is still spent from in the same way.
Actually, there's something very special about coinbase transactions: it's possible for two of them to be identical, if they have the same outputs. Normal transactions cannot possibly be identical as they must spend different inputs, but coinbase transactions have no inputs to distinguish them. Identical coinbase transactions are problematic because only one copy of the transaction can be spent; all others simply destroy the coins. Miners have indeed accidentally lost money this way. OP is asking about the soft-fork to make blocks with identical coinbases invalid, which I don't recall the details of.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2016, 01:25:00 PM

Actually, there's something very special about coinbase transactions: it's possible for two of them to be identical, if they have the same outputs. Normal transactions cannot possibly be identical as they must spend different inputs, but coinbase transactions have no inputs to distinguish them. Identical coinbase transactions are problematic because only one copy of the transaction can be spent; all others simply destroy the coins. Miners have indeed accidentally lost money this way. OP is asking about the soft-fork to make blocks with identical coinbases invalid, which I don't recall the details of.
But that's irrelevant now due to requiring the block height in the coinbase, which will thus make coinbase transactions unique. BIP 34: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0034.mediawiki

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 01:37:14 PM

But that's irrelevant now due to requiring the block height in the coinbase, which will thus make coinbase transactions unique. BIP 34: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0034.mediawiki
Yes, that must be what I was thinking of. (It seems I recall fewer details of it than I thought I did.)

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
No_2 (OP)

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 04:22:06 AM

Thanks, so have we hit the 75% threshold now as per BIP 34? I.e. are all blocks now numbered removing the ambiguity about referencing the coinbase if it uses a duplicate pub key hash in its output?

EDIT: Ah, yes. Missed it at the bottom of the BIP 34 description: "Block number 227,835 (timestamp 2013-03-24 15:49:13 GMT) was the last version 1 block."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: