Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:35:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: sr.member MasonIII scammed me for only $21 btc(SOLVED)  (Read 1701 times)
famiextrem

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 06:16:28 PM

Just want to confirm that when i saw his skrill offer,i visited his profile and there was no warning for changing/reseting password,then i check his trust.it seems fine.i was in a hurry thats why i am not asking for any escrow.if i got my btc back or skrill,i'll remove my feedback as well.if the community accept your apologize i have no problem to remove my tag.allthough i don't believed the account was hacked or whatever.if you willing to return the funds,I am ready to negotiate.
I just checked his profile and still i can't see any warning for changing password. so i can guess the account was not hacked actually. MasonIII should give a refund if he is want to prove his honesty.Hope this will never happen again in the near future.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imbest (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:12:56 PM

I would like to get refund my btc into this Addy: 1C7XRMUB2Mhn8ArK21X2R2ysg4aKNWFBu6
Once I see a incoming transaction,I'll remove my feedback from user MasonIII
Waiting for his confirmation ..
MasonIII

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:27:45 PM

Just going to make a reply to all the posts together.

He blocked me right after he received btc from me,a wrost scammer,

Username: MasonIII
Profile link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=23779

Proof that he received btc: https://blockchain.info/address/1PCSpQPgB1MvePN3zVTXMzr6uxvycDpPcj
His exchange thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1611707.msg16189107#msg16189107.
His Addy: 1PCSpQPgB1MvePN3zVTXMzr6uxvycDpPcj

He blocked me a few minutes later

What I beleieve MasonIII is right. Because Why would he do such a act for only 21$ using his own account.
Food for thought bro @imbest. May be someone has hacked into MasonIII account and as he is Sr. Member.

My message to @imbest:
For more assurance imbest can ask admin to MansonIII's location activity (IP address) and check whether his recent ip coming from the same location or another.

I am posting this because 2 weeks back somewhat same kind of thing happened to me when I did tried to login paypal then I checked recent location activity find that someone did try to logged into my account but thanks to paypal they blocked him from accessing it as that ip coming from other region (Pali).

Message to @Admin:
     It would make bitcointalk more secure if you provide a 2 step verification process so that these kind of activity don't occur in future.

Message to @MasonIII:
     You should have checked your mail immediately when you find suspicious activity to your account.
Why didn't you immediately tried to login and check the activity on your account because trading are not done at same time you could tell report this earlier. Now create a strong password and remember to to check the email notification whenever check your email.

You are correct in that. I don't actually know what happened to the email notification. Even after it is set to my email, all the PM's regarding this issue have not resulted in any email notifications. I've checked the spam but I do not know why and will try and figure out why after this is all settled.

Could someone share how I could best prove that I am back in control of my account? I haven't checked here often and only just noticed the transactions that have happened over the past few days. Going through the messages right now for damage control.

- Real MasonIII

What do you mean by "I am back in control of my account?", So now you are telling that your account got hacked and now you got back your account. Can you give more details about when your account got hacked and how did you claimed it.

If this is what you are meaning by the full reply you have posted here. Then think properly because in this forum if any account got hacked it is very hard to get back.

Equator,

I posted that quick reply immediately to try and stave off further concerns. I have just posted a more detailed accounting of my account's actions and the consequences that have resulted from the hacker's actions.

As to giving more details about my account being hacked. I do not know why the hacker did not change the password or anything, I just noticed that someone was logging into my btc-e account which sends me an email whenever there is a successful login. I also noticed that there were posts I did not make. In terms of claiming it, since neither the email nor the password was changed I just changed my password. If there are other methods of recovery and/or security, please let me know so that I can work towards fulfilling those steps and assuaging your concerns.

-Mason

What ever you are telling is not believable because if anyone hacked your account in the sense you did not operated your account for some days and in that mean time the hacker hacked your account, but did not changed your password,

What ever the story you are cooking, i think the food is not cooked properly, because no one can digest what ever you are telling the reason.

what ever the main reason for opening this thread was that OP has got scammed and right now you are ready to clear the deal. Then i think this thread should be locked by OP if he has got his payment or Bitcoin which ever.

Please let me know if there are any other things I can do to prove it to your satisfaction. I cannot claim to know why the hacker did not change my password. But if you or anyone looks into my account's history and its activity, it should be clear that there was a change in both the type of post and the contents of them. However, I do understand that from your perspective there is no reason to believe me since it isn't something I can prove.

I agree, the main reason was that OP got scammed and these are the things I am trying to clear up.

Just want to confirm that when i saw his skrill offer,i visited his profile and there was no warning for changing/reseting password,then i check his trust.it seems fine.i was in a hurry thats why i am not asking for any escrow.if i got my btc back or skrill,i'll remove my feedback as well.if the community accept your apologize i have no problem to remove my tag.allthough i don't believed the account was hacked or whatever.if you willing to return the funds,I am ready to negotiate.

Thank you for relying on my account as being trustworthy and I apologize that it resulted in this situation. I'm not sure what else there is to negotiate about but please let me know. Otherwise, could you post an address and I'll send 0.0342 BTC to it from my own funds. I believe that was the amount you were scammed out of (in btc).

On a separate note, if there is anything I can do to make you believe that my account was hacked, please let me know. In my eyes (which I understand is very biased obviously), it makes no sense that I would have a change of heart 5 years after opening my account (meaning I completely know the forum environment and the consequences of scamming) and then suddenly a few days later would decide to try and fix everything (which still leaves a damaged reputation and nothing to gain from it).

I look forward to settling this situation with you. Thank you for being understanding.

Better thought out version. (Leaving original for transparency since this is sensitive topic in general).

I have regained control of my account and have sent a PM reply to everyone in my inbox that the hacker messaged while using this account. For full transparency, it seems that there were three transaction type things that were completed over the past few days by the hacker. They are with imbest, HiringYou, and PokemonGoArena. I will be addressing each case below. Hopefully the actual individual can also chime in and we can settle these situations. I use the word "seems" below because I am only able to infer from the PM's and posts made by the hacker on this account as to what occurred.

PokemonGoArena:

The topic seems to stem from this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1612522.msg16200370#msg16200370

From the screenshot provided in the PM (included below) it seems that he/she sent $1 in BTC to the hacker for some service. Pokemon could you clarify whether that service was rendered along with some evidence if possible? There also seems to be some talk about servers which may be associated with task as mentioned above.

I will be happy to send the $1 in BTC upon your reply that this would be appropriate in rectifying the situation.

[1] Screenshot of PM of most relevant PM's. Can include rest if requested by anyone (bystander or otherwise)
https://gyazo.com/be4d3684aff3689d8149539050b023b5

HiringYou:

The issue seems to be a WTB amazon GC where I was sent amazon gift cards and no payment was made to HiringYou as seen a few posts above. However, it seems that the amazon gift card codes that were PM'ed to me are invalid and therefore there should be no claim to repayment. I am checking via the gift card balance checker online (link included). If anyone has thoughts as to how the two seemingly invalid codes could actually have been valid; please let me know (via a reply on this thread ideally so I can keep everything transparent).

Please let me know if you have issues with how this is being dealt given what information I can find in my account. If there is any other additional information, please do let me know.

[2] Screenshot of PM with HiringYou including the gift card code: https://gyazo.com/4f200878ef5cfd899545238faa91e2e5
*Given that there might be the thought that I have doctored the screenshot, is there any admin that could verify it in my actual account? Please PM me if you are highly trusted and willing to do so.

[3] Amazon gift code claim link (to verify it is invalid): https://www.amazon.com/gc/redeem/

imbest:

You started this thread and have provided your side of the argument which seems to be a Skrill for BTC transaction. The claim seems to be for 0.0342 BTC or approximately $22. I have included the PM's below.

I will be happy to pay you the same amount of BTC (0.0342) if you feel that that would rectify the situation to your satisfaction. After the situation is resolved, could you please remove the negative feedback on my account as well.

[4] Screenshot of PM with imbest: https://gyazo.com/cfce294be2090349b62e888c9f74d255

If there is anyone else that has had issues/concerns regarding my account, particularly over the past few days; please post here or PM me (or do both) and I will try my best to correct the situation.

Regards

MasonIII

Original Message Below:
Could someone share how I could best prove that I am back in control of my account? I haven't checked here often and only just noticed the transactions that have happened over the past few days. Going through the messages right now for damage control.

- Real MasonIII

Hello MasonIII,

I'm sorry but I don't think you know how Amazon GC's work. I checked both Amazon GC's before sending them to you and they were both valid.

Of course they're now both invalid. After they are redeemed they go invalid and your 'hacker' obviously redeemed them right after I sent them or else there would be no point in scamming the GC's.

I have proof of receiving these on my email and only on my email by clients from Reddit.

I can also get Amazon chat support to prove these were valid but unfortunately you or your 'hacker' redeemed them.

Right after sending the Amazon GC's I got blocked by your account and couldn't send any further PM's.

I will be adding negative reputation and I will be opening a scam report if this doesn't get solved.

Cheers.

I apologize, I only redeem Amazon GC's into my own account and after putting a used code into it it shows me that it was already redeemed so I assumed that is what happens. I have confirmed with amazon that they were valid and redeemed on the 9th.

Per the PM's in my inbox, the transaction was a $20 and a $5 AGC at 80% = $20. At a current bitstamp price of $623.32, this turns out to be 0.03208 BTC. If you are okay with this, could you confirm on this thread with your address and I will personally pay you out for the transaction.

Thank you for being understanding.

I just checked his profile and still i can't see any warning for changing password. so i can guess the account was not hacked actually. MasonIII should give a refund if he is want to prove his honesty.Hope this will never happen again in the near future.

This is a bit weird since I definitely did change my password last night when I discovered the incident and went on a damage control rampage. This was maybe 16 hours ago (from the time of this post). Same as above, please let me know if there is anything I can do to prove that my account was not hacked. I plan on giving out the refunds upon confirmation. I agree, I hope this will never happen again in the near future.
MasonIII

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:35:41 PM

I would like to get refund my btc into this Addy: 1C7XRMUB2Mhn8ArK21X2R2ysg4aKNWFBu6

I have paid out 0.0342 btc into the noted address.

The tx should be 60980380e64a5b1d141dc4f37da80938c46a28c85f2bd19f1917e8893503d5a5.

Thank you for being understanding and please let me know if there are any other concerns I can resolve.

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,

Mason
MasonIII

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:49:48 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2016, 09:06:09 PM by MasonIII

He/she sent me a PM stating that this was a mistake (wrong person), so this issue is resolved

Again, posting for transparency and in reply to KidRocks.

These are the 3 PM's in my inbox from KidRocks
[1] https://gyazo.com/1639f98c274d171586fcdf3e3a60e29c
[2] https://gyazo.com/5f5e2a48292a5164087128092b590945
[3] https://gyazo.com/d5b25621f4c41225cb11e00bcc3dcf4e

There are a number of inconsistencies with his claim and I am seeking further explanation before paying out to him/her. My reasoning is explained below.

1) The transaction seems to be MasonIII giving $110 skrill for KidRock's $100 BTC.
2) The 2nd PM indicates that he or she wanted me to send first rather than the other way around
3) KidRocks is now claiming that he or she sent me $30 BTC.

Points (1) and (3) are inconsistent since the original transaction was for $100 BTC, the number of $30 appears from no where.
From point (2) there does not seem to be a transaction or any understanding of a trade occurring so I do not understand why a payment would have been made.
The address quoted in the second PM [2] does not have any incoming transaction for the amount of $30. (Illustrated below).
https://blockchain.info/address/1JMAbxgaqcgRm6tWEA21nW8FvHokL9ad5f

Given the negative trust on KidRocks account & based on the evidence I currently have (which if anyone has arguments for or against, I would love to hear), I am inclined to believe that this is a scam or attempt to place a claim in order to take advantage of the situation. Therefore I am currently deciding to NOT pay out the $30 claimed. If anyone, whether involved or not, has issues with my logic or additional evidence or a correction on my understanding of the situation, please do chime in and correct me.

Regards,

Mason
imbest (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:57:45 PM

I have paid out 0.0342 btc into the noted address.

The tx should be 60980380e64a5b1d141dc4f37da80938c46a28c85f2bd19f1917e8893503d5a5.

Thank you for being understanding and please let me know if there are any other concerns I can resolve.

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,

Mason
I can confirm that I received a full refund of 0.0342 btc from MasonIII. Thank you for your quick attention to solve this problem.i suggest you to set a strong password,set your own email and enable the secret question by set your answer.Hope you'll be more careful about your account security.i am removing my feedback now and wish you all the best.thank you for your cooperation.this thread will remain active until you sorted out with the other people,but a solved mark will be added in the title and as well as in main op.
Regards
HiringYou

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 12:33:18 AM

Just going to make a reply to all the posts together.

He blocked me right after he received btc from me,a wrost scammer,

Username: MasonIII
Profile link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=23779

Proof that he received btc: https://blockchain.info/address/1PCSpQPgB1MvePN3zVTXMzr6uxvycDpPcj
His exchange thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1611707.msg16189107#msg16189107.
His Addy: 1PCSpQPgB1MvePN3zVTXMzr6uxvycDpPcj

He blocked me a few minutes later

What I beleieve MasonIII is right. Because Why would he do such a act for only 21$ using his own account.
Food for thought bro @imbest. May be someone has hacked into MasonIII account and as he is Sr. Member.

My message to @imbest:
For more assurance imbest can ask admin to MansonIII's location activity (IP address) and check whether his recent ip coming from the same location or another.

I am posting this because 2 weeks back somewhat same kind of thing happened to me when I did tried to login paypal then I checked recent location activity find that someone did try to logged into my account but thanks to paypal they blocked him from accessing it as that ip coming from other region (Pali).

Message to @Admin:
     It would make bitcointalk more secure if you provide a 2 step verification process so that these kind of activity don't occur in future.

Message to @MasonIII:
     You should have checked your mail immediately when you find suspicious activity to your account.
Why didn't you immediately tried to login and check the activity on your account because trading are not done at same time you could tell report this earlier. Now create a strong password and remember to to check the email notification whenever check your email.

You are correct in that. I don't actually know what happened to the email notification. Even after it is set to my email, all the PM's regarding this issue have not resulted in any email notifications. I've checked the spam but I do not know why and will try and figure out why after this is all settled.

- Real MasonIII

What do you mean by "I am back in control of my account?", So now you are telling that your account got hacked and now you got back your account. Can you give more details about when your account got hacked and how did you claimed it.

If this is what you are meaning by the full reply you have posted here. Then think properly because in this forum if any account got hacked it is very hard to get back.

Equator,

I posted that quick reply immediately to try and stave off further concerns. I have just posted a more detailed accounting of my account's actions and the consequences that have resulted from the hacker's actions.

As to giving more details about my account being hacked. I do not know why the hacker did not change the password or anything, I just noticed that someone was logging into my btc-e account which sends me an email whenever there is a successful login. I also noticed that there were posts I did not make. In terms of claiming it, since neither the email nor the password was changed I just changed my password. If there are other methods of recovery and/or security, please let me know so that I can work towards fulfilling those steps and assuaging your concerns.

-Mason

What ever you are telling is not believable because if anyone hacked your account in the sense you did not operated your account for some days and in that mean time the hacker hacked your account, but did not changed your password,

What ever the story you are cooking, i think the food is not cooked properly, because no one can digest what ever you are telling the reason.

what ever the main reason for opening this thread was that OP has got scammed and right now you are ready to clear the deal. Then i think this thread should be locked by OP if he has got his payment or Bitcoin which ever.

Please let me know if there are any other things I can do to prove it to your satisfaction. I cannot claim to know why the hacker did not change my password. But if you or anyone looks into my account's history and its activity, it should be clear that there was a change in both the type of post and the contents of them. However, I do understand that from your perspective there is no reason to believe me since it isn't something I can prove.

I agree, the main reason was that OP got scammed and these are the things I am trying to clear up.

Thank you for relying on my account as being trustworthy and I apologize that it resulted in this situation. I'm not sure what else there is to negotiate about but please let me know. Otherwise, could you post an address and I'll send 0.0342 BTC to it from my own funds. I believe that was the amount you were scammed out of (in btc).

On a separate note, if there is anything I can do to make you believe that my account was hacked, please let me know. In my eyes (which I understand is very biased obviously), it makes no sense that I would have a change of heart 5 years after opening my account (meaning I completely know the forum environment and the consequences of scamming) and then suddenly a few days later would decide to try and fix everything (which still leaves a damaged reputation and nothing to gain from it).

I look forward to settling this situation with you. Thank you for being understanding.

Better thought out version. (Leaving original for transparency since this is sensitive topic in general).

I have regained control of my account and have sent a PM reply to everyone in my inbox that the hacker messaged while using this account. For full transparency, it seems that there were three transaction type things that were completed over the past few days by the hacker. They are with imbest, HiringYou, and PokemonGoArena. I will be addressing each case below. Hopefully the actual individual can also chime in and we can settle these situations. I use the word "seems" below because I am only able to infer from the PM's and posts made by the hacker on this account as to what occurred.

PokemonGoArena:

The topic seems to stem from this topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1612522.msg16200370#msg16200370

From the screenshot provided in the PM (included below) it seems that he/she sent $1 in BTC to the hacker for some service. Pokemon could you clarify whether that service was rendered along with some evidence if possible? There also seems to be some talk about servers which may be associated with task as mentioned above.

I will be happy to send the $1 in BTC upon your reply that this would be appropriate in rectifying the situation.

[1] Screenshot of PM of most relevant PM's. Can include rest if requested by anyone (bystander or otherwise)
https://gyazo.com/be4d3684aff3689d8149539050b023b5

HiringYou:

The issue seems to be a WTB amazon GC where I was sent amazon gift cards and no payment was made to HiringYou as seen a few posts above. However, it seems that the amazon gift card codes that were PM'ed to me are invalid and therefore there should be no claim to repayment. I am checking via the gift card balance checker online (link included). If anyone has thoughts as to how the two seemingly invalid codes could actually have been valid; please let me know (via a reply on this thread ideally so I can keep everything transparent).

Please let me know if you have issues with how this is being dealt given what information I can find in my account. If there is any other additional information, please do let me know.

[2] Screenshot of PM with HiringYou including the gift card code: https://gyazo.com/4f200878ef5cfd899545238faa91e2e5
*Given that there might be the thought that I have doctored the screenshot, is there any admin that could verify it in my actual account? Please PM me if you are highly trusted and willing to do so.

[3] Amazon gift code claim link (to verify it is invalid): https://www.amazon.com/gc/redeem/

imbest:

You started this thread and have provided your side of the argument which seems to be a Skrill for BTC transaction. The claim seems to be for 0.0342 BTC or approximately $22. I have included the PM's below.

I will be happy to pay you the same amount of BTC (0.0342) if you feel that that would rectify the situation to your satisfaction. After the situation is resolved, could you please remove the negative feedback on my account as well.

[4] Screenshot of PM with imbest: https://gyazo.com/cfce294be2090349b62e888c9f74d255

If there is anyone else that has had issues/concerns regarding my account, particularly over the past few days; please post here or PM me (or do both) and I will try my best to correct the situation.

Regards

MasonIII

Original Message Below:

- Real MasonIII

Hello MasonIII,

I'm sorry but I don't think you know how Amazon GC's work. I checked both Amazon GC's before sending them to you and they were both valid.

Of course they're now both invalid. After they are redeemed they go invalid and your 'hacker' obviously redeemed them right after I sent them or else there would be no point in scamming the GC's.

I have proof of receiving these on my email and only on my email by clients from Reddit.

I can also get Amazon chat support to prove these were valid but unfortunately you or your 'hacker' redeemed them.

Right after sending the Amazon GC's I got blocked by your account and couldn't send any further PM's.

I will be adding negative reputation and I will be opening a scam report if this doesn't get solved.

Cheers.

I apologize, I only redeem Amazon GC's into my own account and after putting a used code into it it shows me that it was already redeemed so I assumed that is what happens. I have confirmed with amazon that they were valid and redeemed on the 9th.

Per the PM's in my inbox, the transaction was a $20 and a $5 AGC at 80% = $20. At a current bitstamp price of $623.32, this turns out to be 0.03208 BTC. If you are okay with this, could you confirm on this thread with your address and I will personally pay you out for the transaction.

Thank you for being understanding.

This is a bit weird since I definitely did change my password last night when I discovered the incident and went on a damage control rampage. This was maybe 16 hours ago (from the time of this post). Same as above, please let me know if there is anything I can do to prove that my account was not hacked. I plan on giving out the refunds upon confirmation. I agree, I hope this will never happen again in the near future.

Thank you for being so understanding and confirming it with Amazon.

My BTC addy is 1PXRsbefhaQ46uwV8fUGPMgAvxafjtNUSf

Thank you and cheers! Smiley
MasonIII

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 12:51:21 AM

I have paid out the agreed upon 0.03208 to the posted address.

The tx id is 60433e64a3c65767839c2df62687b05d4a312657fae4e8ec2a3956b92e986d3c. HiringYou, could you confirm that you have resolved it and the situation has been settled to your satisfaction.

For anyone else, this should conclude the 3 people with which there were legitimate (as far as I know) concerns regarding transactions with this account while it was under someone else's control.
famiextrem

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 01:29:56 AM

Nice to see that problem was solved by the both parties.I really feel sad for user MasonIII as he paid the penalty for being hacked.Finally we came to a conclusion and now i removed my red from his profile.
Thank you
HiringYou

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 04:26:41 PM

I have paid out the agreed upon 0.03208 to the posted address.

The tx id is 60433e64a3c65767839c2df62687b05d4a312657fae4e8ec2a3956b92e986d3c. HiringYou, could you confirm that you have resolved it and the situation has been settled to your satisfaction.

For anyone else, this should conclude the 3 people with which there were legitimate (as far as I know) concerns regarding transactions with this account while it was under someone else's control.

I can confirm I have received 0.03208 on my BTC address.

Thank you for being so quick solving the issue out.

Cheers!
gameristo
Legendary

Activity: 1398
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2017, 08:52:19 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2017, 09:15:04 PM by gameristo

MasanIII

I sent you some paypal funds as below

you have sent €52.00 EUR to XXXXX

My old btc wallet id: 1GmLs8e6VL5i9UcLmLypSKbyDHKjAtkg6g