Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are most influential pioneers and innovators in computer science history?  (Read 602 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 05:28:09 PM

I discussed with a friend of mine today about the five most influential pioneers and innovators in computer science history.
Here is my list.

• Konrad Zuse
  • John von Neumann
  • Alan Turing
  • Steve Jobs
  • Satoshi Nakamoto

What is your list?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 09:55:20 PM

I discussed with a friend of mine today about the five most influential pioneers and innovators in computer science history.
Here is my list.

• Konrad Zuse
  • John von Neumann
  • Alan Turing
  • Steve Jobs
  • Satoshi Nakamoto

What is your list?
I'd replace the last one with Nick Szabo and Hal Finney because Satoshi Nakamoto is only an pseudonym for the two. Smiley

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

tyz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 11:37:03 AM

Guys, this is a serious question  Grin

As long as it is not proven who Satoshi Nakamoto really is, I will let his name in my list. You could see it like a placeholder. I guess there is a consensus that Satoshi Nakamoto is just a pseudonym of someone else or a group.

Here is my list.

• Konrad Zuse
  • John von Neumann
  • Alan Turing
  • Steve Jobs
  • Satoshi Nakamoto

What is your list?
I'd replace the last one with Nick Szabo and Hal Finney because Satoshi Nakamoto is only an pseudonym for the two. Smiley
botija

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 05:48:19 PM

Steve Jobs is more a salesman and even ripoff artist. Does he even know how to code? You have true pioneers who did so many incredible things, and he's being put up there with them because of his ability to sell you a logo.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 06:19:15 PM

Steve Jobs is more a salesman

and all those super cool innovations go nowhere unless the rest of the world hears about them and starts using them. i'm totally bored of steve jobs and don't give a shit about him but he did push through a bunch of things that have made the modern world what it is today.
botija

Activity: 374

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 06:27:02 PM

Steve Jobs is more a salesman

and all those super cool innovations go nowhere unless the rest of the world hears about them and starts using them. i'm totally bored of steve jobs and don't give a shit about him but he did push through a bunch of things that have made the modern world what it is today.

He really didn't really, like the iPad. For so many years the computer industry had been talking about tablets, with components getting smaller. It was expected. Steve Jobs said that only use for something like that is for when you're on the toilet. A couple of years later the iPad was released with all day long media coverage from ALL network TV stations, the type reserved for when somebody like an Obama dies. And what in the tech websites that I visited the comments were basically, "What a disappointment, it looks just like the HP Slate." Fast forward a year later I decided to look up the HP Slate on YouTube, and now the comments from the casual user were, "HP is copying Apple." And the ignorance is just annoying. I really can't think of anything that would not be here because of Steve Jobs, all he did was take ideas that were there and made his cult followers feel good about buying them." He never invented any technological breakthrough.
bitcoinisbest

Activity: 1218
Merit: 557

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 06:36:35 PM

Satoshi , Bill Gates are sure to be their. Only thing Satoshi himself would have not expected that such a media boom would happen to search him
poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2016, 07:01:57 PM

I'm very surprised that nobody added this guy to the list.
In my mind this is single the most greatest MOFO in the history of computing science.
Check his brief history. Interesting person... to say the least.

In the near future he will be called a father of AI... think a bout that for a second on two.
AI in the 18th century... visionary.

tyz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:33:27 PM

Interesting! Although, I have got a computer science background, I have never heard about him. However, he is in the list of pioneers in computer science of Wikipedia  Smiley I definitely gonna read some more about him and his work.

In my mind this is single the most greatest MOFO in the history of computing science.

In the near future he will be called a father of AI... think a bout that for a second on two.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 04:57:51 PM

You read my mind!!! Cheesy

He was a great man.

Even used to have a chain of computer software stores named after him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameStop#Babbage.27s_.281984.E2.80.931994.29

thanks

I'd say that a BabbageCoin would truly epitomize PoW. There'll be no fear of a Chinese mining farm building a warehouse with banks of these babies. If you want a BabbageCoin, you must physically visit your nearest BabbageCoin miner and turn the handle umpteen times.
googie4

Activity: 300

View Profile
September 18, 2016, 03:12:29 AM

Ava Lovelace. She was the first person we learned about in Java class. Back in the day.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: