Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:06:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FACT CHECK: Bitcoin Blockchain will be 700GB in 4 Years  (Read 9278 times)
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 09:52:08 PM

My guess is that the Bitcoin Blockchain is growing at around 4% per month.

Is that assessment about right?

And what about the bandwidth each node will require each month if it's sharing data - 100 TB / month; 1,000TB / month?

What does this mean for the next halving?  All miners will be running SPV's?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 06:28:27 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2016, 04:40:56 PM by coins101

A chart from Blockchain.info from launch

Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 06:57:51 AM

this seems maybe a bit to much. could you include the data from the beginning until now? this would help.
also there updates in development that should result in smaler blockchainsize and bandwith requirement.
worst case scenario is, that you are right, but storage capacity will increase too and 700GB will not be much in 4 years.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 07:04:30 AM

Quantum Computers are advancing much faster in calc and storage capacity. In 4 years from now, QCs will have cracked the blockchain, and Bitcoin will be gone, or at least, residing on a QC.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 07:06:00 AM

Moore's Law.

I believe the devs are working on the size of the blockchain, but it's not at the top of their list, and rightly so. They have bigger matters which require their more immediate attention.

You're correct to point out the growing size of the blockchain, but it's a relatively small problem amongst others.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 07:12:07 AM

Moore's Law.

I believe the devs are working on the size of the blockchain, but it's not at the top of their list, and rightly so. They have bigger matters which require their more immediate attention.

You're correct to point out the growing size of the blockchain, but it's a relatively small problem amongst others.

100TB to 1,000TB bandwidth requirement for full nodes in just 4 years time is not a small problem. Who has a data plan that can allow that, even unlimited plans have a fair use cap?

There is very little the devs can do about the growing size of the blockchain. Data is data.

Multi sig, for example, will counter any voodoo by the devs to reduce the size of transactions.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2016, 07:23:48 AM

did you make this chart yourself or are you copying it from somewhere?
why is it rising exponentially instead of with a fixed rate:
https://blockchain.info/charts/block-size it has been an straight line so far according to this chart after 4 years block size should be ~240GB

and even if the block size is increased again the rise should be an straight line not exponential growth.

p.s. i think you should move this topic to New Posts Development & Technical Discussion otherwise it will get buried here and i really want to know how much of what i said is right and how much of it is wrong.

--looking for signature--
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 07:59:02 AM

https://blockchain.info/charts/block-size it has been an straight line so far according to this chart after 4 years block size should be ~240GB

and even if the block size is increased again the rise should be an straight line not exponential growth.

p.s. i think you should move this topic to New Posts Development & Technical Discussion otherwise it will get buried here and i really want to know how much of what i said is right and how much of it is wrong.

The blockchain has gained about 20GB in less than 12 months.

That's not straight line since Bitcoin was launched 6 years ago.

It's my chart.

The blockchain.info data seems to agree with me to some degree

https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size?timespan=all
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2016, 08:17:38 AM
Last edit: September 10, 2016, 08:33:29 AM by BTCLovingDude

It's my chart.

yes but blocks that were mined a long time ago were small size blocks and i don't think it is correct to use that data for extrapolation.

for example block
329100 was 99KB (2014-11)
229100 was 184KB (2013-4)
129100 was 13KB (2011-6)

and so on but if you change the timespan=2year you can see in the last two years it is an straight line which is because of the nearly full blocks. starting from end of 2014 ishi think it is mostly mid 2015!

so if you want to extrapolate you should only consider the data that is similar which means the same block size starting at end of 2014 ish (or find the original time) then with the fixed (800-900 KB) size blocks the increase is an stable rise (straight line)

let me just add that my logic will only work as long as we stick to the max 1MB block which is the current protocol. so it will rise following that straight line that i keep saying.
calculating the future would be something like this:
number of blocks mined each day * size of one block (1MB or 900 average)

but if block size increased then all these calculations would be wrong and depending on the size of blocks (1.1, 1.2, .... 1.9, 2+,...) it would be different.

--looking for signature--
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 08:28:46 AM

bitcoin core to double the size of blockchain in 2017 IIRC, that's why the bitcoin blockchain is gonna be more than ever. how horrible if we cannot expand what our capacity has/have.

at least a micro SD card does a 256GB.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 08:37:05 AM

bitcoin core to double the size of blockchain in 2017 IIRC, that's why the bitcoin blockchain is gonna be more than ever. how horrible if we cannot expand what our capacity has/have.

at least a micro SD card does a 256GB.

Hardware is not the rate limiting factor. It's just an added expense to get more space.

Bandwidth is the greater issue.
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 08:46:35 AM

It's my chart.

yes but blocks that were mined a long time ago were small size blocks and i don't think it is correct to use that data for extrapolation.

for example block
129100 was 13KB (2011-6)

and so on but if you change the timespan=2year you can see in the last two years it is an straight line which is because of the nearly full blocks. starting from end of 2014 ishi think it is mostly mid 2015!

so if you want to extrapolate you should only consider the data that is similar which means the same block size starting at end of 2014 ish (or find the original time) then with the fixed (800-900 KB) size blocks the increase is an stable rise (straight line)

let me just add that my logic will only work as long as we stick to the max 1MB block which is the current protocol. so it will rise following that straight line that i keep saying.

but if block size increased then all these calculations would be wrong and depending on the size of blocks (1.1, 1.2, .... 1.9, 2+,...) it would be different.

You are sort of right, but the evidence is not a straight line.

If you increase block sizes, they will not be full from the day the size limit is increased. But as adoption happens, the rise will not be a straight line.  You then hit another need to increase the blocks.

But what if there is a block size that is dynamic?  If adoption is allowed to continue towards Visa levels of transactions, then these factors combine to create exponential growth.

We are both making hypothetical claims, but the evidence so far points towards exponential growth.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:38:15 AM

It's my chart.

for example block
129100 was 13KB (2011-6)

You are sort of right, but the evidence is not a straight line.

If you increase block sizes, they will not be full from the day the size limit is increased. But as adoption happens, the rise will not be a straight line.  You then hit another need to increase the blocks.

But what if there is a block size that is dynamic?  If adoption is allowed to continue towards Visa levels of transactions, then these factors combine to create exponential growth.

We are both making hypothetical claims, but the evidence so far points towards exponential growth.

You just answered your own question.
It is a assumption depending on max blocksize and no fact.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 11:05:01 AM

Quantum Computers are advancing much faster in calc and storage capacity. In 4 years from now, QCs will have cracked the blockchain, and Bitcoin will be gone, or at least, residing on a QC.

your post is completely irrelevant here!
first of all we are talking about 4 years not 40 years. second of all even if QC becomes a thing available to public we can move to more complicated encryption to avoid them.

anyways i think as c789 pointed out, everybody has something more important in their minds rather than increase of blockchain size.
and maybe i am wrong but i think one of the reasons that some miners were against the block size increase was the similar reason.

also i don't think your 700GB is accurate because we don't know what will happen in the future. for now max block size is 1 and we don't know when it is going to be increased and even by then we don't know how much of it will be full. the number of unconfirmed transactions show that the current size is enough for the number of transactions and even if it was increased today the size of blocks will be the same unless someone starts spamming again.

so there are too many variables at play that we can't be sure about the 700GB the only thing that you can say is that it will be somewhere between 240 and 700

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 11:14:41 AM

Hardware is not the rate limiting factor. It's just an added expense to get more space.

Bandwidth is the greater issue.

Sssh. People don't want to hear that little fact. My bandwidth has been unchanged since 2004 and doesn't look like it's changing any time soon. Storage is a piece of piss. Bandwidth requires lumbering bureaucracies to slowly grind into motion.
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 01:16:48 PM

Cool

Its true that quantum computers are advancing fast but as far as i know until 2020 bitcoin is quantum computers resistant
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 03:30:02 PM

Cool

Its true that quantum computers are advancing fast but as far as i know until 2020 bitcoin is quantum computers resistant

They won't tell you when it's working.
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 04:20:32 PM

Would it not be possible to buy a harddrive with the blockchain already on it?
Downloading 700GB P2P, I guess that would take weeks or even months.
Every package sent around the globe usually is faster.
In 4 years, a 700 GB USB stick will be a normal thing.
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 04:37:49 PM

1TB usb is currently around $600. Plus, loading fees, plus delivery, plus taxes, lets say its around $400 $300 delivered to your door in 4 years. Would you buy one?

Don't forget that monthly bandwidth cost.
severaldetails

Activity: 959
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 05:41:44 PM

1TB usb is currently around $600. Plus, loading fees, plus delivery, plus taxes, lets say its around $400 $300 delivered to your door in 4 years. Would you buy one?

Don't forget that monthly bandwidth cost.

Ok, let's say we put it on a ssd. You get a 1TB ssd today for about 200$. In four years maybe 50$.
If you can spare somebody from downloading the blockchain for weeks, I can imagine that there are people who give you 150$ for it. In four years.
I really think that could work.
Do you have another opinion?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: