Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:16:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptos w/ integrated Tor or I2P  (Read 694 times)
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 05:13:10 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2016, 06:27:31 AM by EBK1000

I am trying to do some background research on cryptos w/ integrated Tor or I2P and that run the entire network within Tor or I2P and NOT as an option. Can we try to compile a list of coins running Tor only (or I2P only) and what are the weaknesses with such a system and how could it be improved.

ED:

I have so far found:

Cryptographic Triangles [TRI]
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=820103.0
https://github.com/wurstgelee/triangles
Only traded on Cryptopia and seems abandoned, no activity on GitHub for more than a year and dev not online since January 2016
This crypto appears to be running the entire network within Tor

Excluding the CryptoNote currencies: Monero (XMR), Bytecoin (BCN), Ducknote (XDN) etc.

Soooooooon...............

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 06:52:48 AM

I am trying to do some background research on cryptos w/ integrated Tor or I2P and that run the entire network within Tor or I2P and NOT as an option.

It would be somehow contradictory to run such a thing on Tor.  If the idea is to confine it to the network, then I only see I2P as an option, even though you *could* do it on TOR, but it would be a bad idea.   TOR is essentially meant to be an obfuscating proxy on the clearnet.  Even though you can have hidden services on TOR, it is not meant to be an "inside only" network, and hence compromises have been made on TOR that are not necessary if your goal is to stay inside the net.
I would even say that if you don't want to stick to I2P, Freenet is a better idea than TOR.  In other words, you take unnecessary risks by using TOR, because TOR is designed to exit back to the clearnet, and has to accept certain risks doing so.  I2P doesn't, and is hence IMO safer for an "inside only" network usage.
Priam

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 08:00:57 AM

If I remember well, Torrentcoin has such an option, but my memory could be bad and I might be saying bullshit.
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 08:46:30 AM

I am trying to do some background research on cryptos w/ integrated Tor or I2P and that run the entire network within Tor or I2P and NOT as an option.

It would be somehow contradictory to run such a thing on Tor.  If the idea is to confine it to the network, then I only see I2P as an option, even though you *could* do it on TOR, but it would be a bad idea.   TOR is essentially meant to be an obfuscating proxy on the clearnet.  Even though you can have hidden services on TOR, it is not meant to be an "inside only" network, and hence compromises have been made on TOR that are not necessary if your goal is to stay inside the net.
I would even say that if you don't want to stick to I2P, Freenet is a better idea than TOR.  In other words, you take unnecessary risks by using TOR, because TOR is designed to exit back to the clearnet, and has to accept certain risks doing so.  I2P doesn't, and is hence IMO safer for an "inside only" network usage.

The idea would be that the whole network, i.e. all the nodes, clients, masternodes etc. communicated through Tor and so no traffic would ever reach the clearnet, all transactions within Tor, exclude all clients not running Tor. No traffic would ever reach a Tor exit node.

BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 09:41:34 AM

I am trying to do some background research on cryptos w/ integrated Tor or I2P and that run the entire network within Tor or I2P and NOT as an option. Can we try to compile a list of coins running Tor only (or I2P only) and what are the weaknesses with such a system and how could it be improved.

ED:

I have so far found:

Cryptographic Triangles [TRI]
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=820103.0
https://github.com/wurstgelee/triangles
Only traded on Cryptopia and seems abandoned, no activity on GitHub for more than a year and dev not online since January 2016
This crypto appears to be running the entire network within Tor

Excluding the CryptoNote currencies: Monero (XMR), Bytecoin (BCN), Ducknote (XDN) etc.

StealthCoin [XST] is the first in the world to implemented TOR from started.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 05:48:14 PM

Well in a way Bitcoin is integrated. As far as I know since Bitcoin 0.12 was released, it has the ability to run as a hidden service in tor by simply opening the tor browser and the bitcoin core project at the same time.
dinofelis

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 06:20:55 PM

The idea would be that the whole network, i.e. all the nodes, clients, masternodes etc. communicated through Tor and so no traffic would ever reach the clearnet, all transactions within Tor, exclude all clients not running Tor. No traffic would ever reach a Tor exit node.

The point is that the network that has been designed for that, is I2P, and in a certain way, Freenet, not TOR.  TOR has this functionality also, but as an ad-on.  I2P was designed exactly with that in mind.    I was thinking about Freenet because maybe the ledger (block chain) could be a distributed freenet file itself.
dinofelis

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 06:21:54 PM

Well in a way Bitcoin is integrated. As far as I know since Bitcoin 0.12 was released, it has the ability to run as a hidden service in tor by simply opening the tor browser and the bitcoin core project at the same time.

You mean that you can configure your bitcoin core to use a TOR proxy (a local one, accessing your TOR gateway) ?
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 06:26:55 PM

The point is that the network that has been designed for that, is I2P, and in a certain way, Freenet, not TOR.  TOR has this functionality also, but as an ad-on.  I2P was designed exactly with that in mind.    I was thinking about Freenet because maybe the ledger (block chain) could be a distributed freenet file itself.

That's interesting, I will have a look at Freenet and I2P in some more detail and see what might be possible.

Do you know any cryptos using Freenet?

vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
September 11, 2016, 06:35:30 PM

why is this interesting? why do you want an blockchain that is only "inside" the TOR-network? where is the difference that you want to use / to be able to profit from?
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
September 12, 2016, 12:50:43 AM
Last edit: September 12, 2016, 05:35:07 AM by c789

It's still in development, but you may want to keep Kovri on your watchlist. It will allow Monero transactions to be conducted through I2P. It's being developed by the Monero developers:

https://github.com/monero-project/kovri

http://monero.stackexchange.com/questions/62/is-the-purpose-of-the-kovri-c-project-solely-to-benefit-monero

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: