Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:04:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bitcoin Lobbyist Firm to Represent Our Interests [Bounty: 4 BTC and growing]  (Read 4155 times)
MacFall

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 03:03:53 AM

Have you talked to anyone at the EFF? They're not exactly lobbyists, but they're in a similar class (it's a 501(c)(3) org) and have similar goals. Their advice would probably be useful. Their methods (i.e., fighting unjust laws and regulations in the courts) might be a more effective way to protect rights relating to Bitcoin.

I believe they have decided to eschew bitcoin, however.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1055

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 06:37:49 AM

Atlas,

I think your time would be better spent on agorist projects.  The great thing about bitcoins is that they don't need the state's permission for just about anything.

"Asking" politicians for permission is how we got to where we are now.

Maybe you can set up a gambling site where people can place bets on what will happen to the first politician who bans bitcoins.  I suspect that would be much more effective than any lobbying group.

sayrith

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:55:07 AM

Doesnt the EFF already do this sort of thing?
carlerha

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:03:08 AM

I must agree with MemoryDealers, lobbying is amoral and slow. Better spend the bounty money on building the economy; "attack is the best form of defence" and so forth…
Anonymous

June 07, 2011, 05:33:22 PM

I am planning to start a website with a tor hidden service. Hit me up if you are interested.
Anonymous

June 07, 2011, 05:34:35 PM

I must agree with MemoryDealers, lobbying is amoral and slow. Better spend the bounty money on building the economy; "attack is the best form of defence" and so forth…
I must disagree and say keeping Bitcoin legal has a notable amount of value.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 06:30:47 PM

I agree that it is a good thing to keep Bitcoin legal,  but lobbying won't do anything at all.  The politicians always do whatever they want anyhow.  Remember how many people were against the bailouts?
The most lobbying the USA has ever seen didn't stop them.  The same will be true for Bitcoins.

Anonymous

June 07, 2011, 06:31:45 PM

I will look into this further.
btclaw

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 05:37:56 AM

A Bitcoin legal defense fund is a better place to start.  Your OP addresses people's right to use their computers to participate in the bitcoin network, a la possessing, transferring, and mining bitcoin.  That right is not under any sort of imminent threat of regulation, so no lobbying is necessary. 

There soon will be a "poster child" case made out by a U.S. attorney or state D.A. somewhere when some stupid college kid buys an ounce of coke with bitcoin and gets busted.  A Legal defense fund could help pay for his defense.  But the mainstream public face of the bitcoin community will be "Hang him high"  Cry because it is in the best interest of bitcoin's survival in the mainstream as a real currency to appear cooperative with law enforcement.

However, lobbying certainly makes sense for a business like mtgox (Japanese-owned currency exchange) or silkroad that deals with exchanging bitcoin for other goods, services.  Now that the "press" has "hit the fan" and the word "Bitcoin" has publicly passed a prominent senator's lips, scrutiny and potential regulation will fall on these two organizations first.  These companies would do well to spend a significant portion of their profits on a lobbying firm to prevent legislation that would cripple their business model.
Sean

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 06:32:45 AM

A Bitcoin legal defense fund is a better place to start.  Your OP addresses people's right to use their computers to participate in the bitcoin network, a la possessing, transferring, and mining bitcoin.  That right is not under any sort of imminent threat of regulation, so no lobbying is necessary. 

There soon will be a "poster child" case made out by a U.S. attorney or state D.A. somewhere when some stupid college kid buys an ounce of coke with bitcoin and gets busted.  A Legal defense fund could help pay for his defense.  But the mainstream public face of the bitcoin community will be "Hang him high"  Cry because it is in the best interest of bitcoin's survival in the mainstream as a real currency to appear cooperative with law enforcement.

However, lobbying certainly makes sense for a business like mtgox (Japanese-owned currency exchange) or silkroad that deals with exchanging bitcoin for other goods, services.  Now that the "press" has "hit the fan" and the word "Bitcoin" has publicly passed a prominent senator's lips, scrutiny and potential regulation will fall on these two organizations first.  These companies would do well to spend a significant portion of their profits on a lobbying firm to prevent legislation that would cripple their business model.

I think Mt Gox and the like should spend some money on incorporating and getting a financial license if it already doesn't. Then get some Terms of
Service on the site. Sacrificing a bit of anonymity might be necessary to protect BitCoin.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 06:35:25 AM

Posting their source code on the internet in an encrypted file would be a good idea.
Then, if anything ever happens to them,  they can post the password,  so a bunch more exchanges can start up using their software.

eof

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:49:35 PM

Posting their source code on the internet in an encrypted file would be a good idea.
Then, if anything ever happens to them,  they can post the password,  so a bunch more exchanges can start up using their software.

I like this idea.  I really suspect that tradehill is using mtgox's codebase.

I hope it's true; at this point having more competitors is good for mtgox.  He already has the first mover advantage, and right now he is a huge target for any government intervention.  With a bunch of medium strength competitors there is less incentive for the government to attack him directly.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:25:32 PM

Since witnessing their abandonment of Bitcoin donations and practically stating that using 'legal tender' is the best way to defend online liberty

Seriously? I was not aware of this. Have they at least tried explaining this contradictory positon of theirs?
It's quite weird. They were among the first to accept bitcoin donations, back when bitcoins weren't worth that much, and now that it has proven its value, they don't want anymore?
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:29:17 PM

I was thinking on suggesting the same thing. Cheesy

Exchange owners, please, do this Wikileaks-like insurance!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 04:39:51 PM

Seems like our elected officials only listen to two words; votes and money. I think Atlas has a good idea who's time will come. But for the short term, how can we show politicians that there are votes on the line and donation money to be made.
Instead of asking them why they are so F%$#ing stupid? Ask them where their BTC address for donations is? Tell them about the bright spot in our otherwise crappy economy. About how JOBS are being created.  

Senator, your not going to kill my job are you? Angry

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 11:46:30 PM

bump

Also, donors feel free to ask for your money back at any time.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: