Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:17:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparison of the different 1070  (Read 1803 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 09:34:25 PM

For a 4-GPU no riser build like Phillip, you NEED to go with blower-style cards. Fan type won't cool well enough (except the one card of the 4 that does NOT have another card blocking it's fan, THAT card you could use a fan-type card on).

Don't go with "founder edition" cards, their overall cooling is widely reported to be fairly poor.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nikolaj

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 12:46:23 AM

Hi guys. I wrote an article about the gtx 1070 variants.

Have a look in my signature.

I would suggest you the following cards:

Nvidia founders edition (very nice balancement/capability)
Inno3D ichill x4 (a bit better than the founders in general)
Gigabyte g1 (nice one, well made)
Zotac amp extreme (5x rig, best stock hashrate without wasting time with the software)

Zotac vgas are one of the best option in the market. Gamerock, palit and gainward are variants of the same vendor, in terms of quality and warranty they are equal. I haven't tried the super jet stream version or the gamerock one but they seem particularly capable.

Some of you may ask why I suggested you to consider also the founders, the reason is quite clear: versatility. In terms of cooling -chip/ram/vrms-, if you insert them in a chassis like the one I am using (check my signature), and reselling soon even in the united states, they are capable of working up to 1980MHz (on average), which is the same of many other versions. In terms of compatibility they are dual slot; in terms of frequency they've got a lower chance of causing an hard reset due very high initial frequency with some kernels, so this means that they are more stable in a multigpu environment. In terms of noise they are excellent, and finally in terms of price, usually they are one of the most affordable version.

If you want the best stock 1070, the amp extreme it's a true beast, but you should be careful with the choice of psu's because you can reach also 200W+ scenarios.
Redrose (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 10:09:07 AM

For a 4-GPU no riser build like Phillip, you NEED to go with blower-style cards. Fan type won't cool well enough (except the one card of the 4 that does NOT have another card blocking it's fan, THAT card you could use a fan-type card on).

Don't go with "founder edition" cards, their overall cooling is widely reported to be fairly poor.

So in my case it would be better to go with MSI AERO or Asus Turbo ? And why can't I use cards with fans, if they are slim enough ? After all I should maybe finally stay on risers build, but since my two current ones do not have any structure, I'll need to build one since I'm out of Lego and plastic baskets Tongue...
bit815792215

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 10:40:29 AM

So in my case it would be better to go with MSI AERO or Asus Turbo ? And why can't I use cards with fans, if they are slim enough ? After all I should maybe finally stay on risers build, but since my two current ones do not have any structure, I'll need to build one since I'm out of Lego and plastic baskets Tongue...

Dont get either of those cards,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biostar-HI-FI-H81S2-H81S2 Motherboard-Socket/dp/B00I8IJOD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474713432&sr=8-1&keywords=biostar+h81s2

get this board 50$, dont get gigabyte g1 they have micron memory and are buggy. I would get asus strix, they are suppose to have samsung memory. I would recommend EVGA, but I dont know if they have samsung memory or not.

Redrose (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 11:02:13 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biostar-HI-FI-H81S2-H81S2 Motherboard-Socket/dp/B00I8IJOD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474713432&sr=8-1&keywords=biostar+h81s2

get this board 50$, dont get gigabyte g1 they have micron memory and are buggy. I would get asus strix, they are suppose to have samsung memory. I would recommend EVGA, but I dont know if they have samsung memory or not.

Very very interesting motherboard you linked here. I'll probably stay on my KFA2 1070 EXOC. They're cheap and powerful. I have a 970 and a 1070 of that brand and they run very nice. I'll probably order two more 1070 before the end of October.

PS : I corrected your link Wink !
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 12:10:47 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biostar-HI-FI-H81S2-H81S2 Motherboard-Socket/dp/B00I8IJOD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474713432&sr=8-1&keywords=biostar+h81s2

my g1 gaming have samsung, so it must be recent release with micron, in any case the best brand this time seems the palit
randomgenerated

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 12:20:43 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry to do intro in a subthread, but I'm very interested in subject, will be building my first rig soon.

a little about me/project:
it's my first post (as if you haven't notice!) Smiley Im lurking on the board since yesterday, reading and learning on mining.
Since I'm a bit late for easy bit coin mining I've decided to make a GPU rig rand experiment from there....
I'm located in London, UK and here the cost for electricty is $0,19 which is quite high.

The price of electricity is not a problem since:
- I want to mine coins and don't sell them straight away,
- I will be making a setup that works 24/7 so I will be using cards with low watt usage (after finding the right settings),
- If my setup will work more or less I have easy option to move rig/s to Russia or Ukraine.

I'm full stack developer (will be running on linux) so for me this is something like a hobby as well (some profit would be nice though lol).
Want to be able to mine different coins and that's why after a lot of comparing of rx480 and gtx 1070
I've decided for the second one (mostly based on what Ive read in here, all the blogs I could find and some other boards).

Intro's over, now the question:

How does gtx 1070 founders edition compare to the standard one? I'm asking since I've found two contradicting opinions in this thread.
As well I'm thinking about the Palit model since I've read it's good for overlock and read some bad comments about both msi and gigabit versions.
The price in UK for Palit GTX 1070 is around £390, and the founders edition of the same is around £450.
bit815792215

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 12:55:45 PM

my g1 gaming have samsung, so it must be recent release with micron, in any case the best brand this time seems the palit

how so? do you have one?

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 02:47:20 PM

how so? do you have one?

i have 7 and they are all samsung i bought them early, in july

Redrose (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 02:53:03 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry to do intro in a subthread, but I'm very interested in subject, will be building my first rig soon.

a little about me/project:
it's my first post (as if you haven't notice!) Smiley Im lurking on the board since yesterday, reading and learning on mining.
Since I'm a bit late for easy bit coin mining I've decided to make a GPU rig rand experiment from there....
I'm located in London, UK and here the cost for electricty is $0,19 which is quite high.

The price of electricity is not a problem since:
- I want to mine coins and don't sell them straight away,
- I will be making a setup that works 24/7 so I will be using cards with low watt usage (after finding the right settings),
- If my setup will work more or less I have easy option to move rig/s to Russia or Ukraine.

I'm full stack developer (will be running on linux) so for me this is something like a hobby as well (some profit would be nice though lol).
Want to be able to mine different coins and that's why after a lot of comparing of rx480 and gtx 1070
I've decided for the second one (mostly based on what Ive read in here, all the blogs I could find and some other boards).

Intro's over, now the question:

How does gtx 1070 founders edition compare to the standard one? I'm asking since I've found two contradicting opinions in this thread.
As well I'm thinking about the Palit model since I've read it's good for overlock and read some bad comments about both msi and gigabit versions.
The price in UK for Palit GTX 1070 is around £390, and the founders edition of the same is around £450.

Take the 1070 over the RX 480. Some people here says that the FE runs hotter, so avoid it. Palit is cool, but I can't buy myself so I don't know. I use KFA2 and I'm satisfied of them.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 10:43:11 PM

How does gtx 1070 founders edition compare to the standard one?

Founders edition on ANY Nvidia 1xxx series card costs more, clocks lower, and has inferior cooling to pretty much ANY aftermarket design.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Redrose (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 11:08:07 AM

How does gtx 1070 founders edition compare to the standard one?

Founders edition on ANY Nvidia 1xxx series card costs more, clocks lower, and has inferior cooling to pretty much ANY aftermarket design.

Here FE cards are cheaper, but that's not the question.

Just to tell you, my so hated KFA2 cards have Samsung memory and two huge fans, so a good card at a good price if you trust me Wink !
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: