Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:42:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferring bitcoin address to new wallet?  (Read 1232 times)
bitforms (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 11:32:10 AM

Sorry, New to this...

Can someone please help me. I downloaded Bitcoin Knots wallet as suggested here:

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

I have generated a wallet address in the software and had the bitcoins sent to that address from a local exchange.

Now the problem I have is that the software is taking ages to download the blockchain (as what I have been told) and my bitcoins are not showing up. Apparently it will take a week to sync.

Is there a way to transfer the wallet address to another client that doesnt have to sync the whole network?

Please go easy on me this is my first foray into bitcoins!

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 11:43:00 AM
Last edit: October 03, 2016, 11:56:02 AM by Jhanzo

Go to Help > Debug > Console and enter:

Code:
dumpprivkey "yourbitcoinaddresshere"

If your wallet have passphrase unlock it first before doing dumprivkey by entering:
Code:
walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase here" 600

You'll get your private key which you can then import/sweep to other wallets.  I'd recommend electrum and there's a guide to import or sweep here.

Edit:
Electrum 2.7.0 is already available.
it is not officially released yet, but here are the binaries (release candidate):
http://download.electrum.org/2.7.0/

It'll save you the trouble of upgrading later.  Up to you though.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
Digitalbitcoin

Activity: 1540
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2016, 12:20:26 PM

If you wish to go for web solution then I will like to recommend you to go for Blockchain.info. You can import your own wallet address private key to blockchain also and can use your wallet securely.

Blockchain give you service to send or receive bitcoins securely.
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 12:25:51 PM

If you wish to go for web solution then I will like to recommend you to go for Blockchain.info. You can import your own wallet address private key to blockchain also and can use your wallet securely.

Blockchain give you service to send or receive bitcoins securely.

I personally would't advice a web wallet to a new user... Sure the learning curve is smaller, but the security is a lot less...
When using a web wallet, you're not (the only one) in controll of your private keys, so you're not (the only one) controlling your funds.

I'd also go for electrum, like Jhanzo suggested, but i'd like to add you have to be 100% sure only one address was used. If you generated two addresses to receive funds, or if you sent any coins in the past, you have to be extra carefull because multiple receiving addresses or change addresses might have been generated!

bitforms (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:35:23 PM

Code:

If your wallet have passphrase unlock it first before doing dumprivkey by entering:
Code:

You'll get your private key which you can then import/sweep to other wallets.  I'd recommend electrum and there's a guide to import or sweep here.

Edit:
it is not officially released yet, but here are the binaries (release candidate):

It'll save you the trouble of upgrading later.  Up to you though.

Thanks for the advice, I have imported the bitcoins to Electrum. It shows the balance but says 'not verified'. Is this normal?
altcoinhosting

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:45:28 PM

Code:

Code:

You'll get your private key which you can then import/sweep to other wallets.  I'd recommend electrum and there's a guide to import or sweep here.

Edit:

Thanks for the advice, I have imported the bitcoins to Electrum. It shows the balance but says 'not verified'. Is this normal?

Electrum needs to download the block headers, this can take a couple of minutes... If the problem doesn't solve itself in 20-30 minutes, try to restart electrum. If that doesn't fix the problem, change servers (right click the green button in the right bottom corner). If this doesn't solve the problem, you can make a help thread in the electrum support subforum Smiley

bitforms (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:51:04 PM

That green button is red  Sad I have tried changing servers but still can't get connection.
altcoinhosting

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:54:07 PM

That green button is red  Sad I have tried changing servers but still can't get connection.

In that case, the problem is that you're not connected to any electrum server... Have you tried to manually enter the server details? Double click the red button, uncheck the 'select server automatically'-box, enter following details:

server: ELECTRUM.jdubya.info
port: 50002
Use SSL: selected

At this moment, i'm running version 2.7.0 on windows 7 with above settings, and i'm connected just fine... If this doesn't work, maybe you have a firewall/routing problem???

bitforms (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 02:04:25 PM

I just turned off my VPN and its green now but in history there is no evidence of my bitcoins.
Jhanzo

Thank satoshi

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 02:10:27 PM

I just turned off my VPN and its green now but in history there is no evidence of my bitcoins.

Restart electrum and if problem persists check your address in block explorers to see if the transaction is still there.  If it's still there then try importing to a new electrum wallet.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
smho_16

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 02:06:25 PM

Restart electrum and if problem persists check your address in block explorers to see if the transaction is still there.  If it's still there then try importing to a new electrum wallet.

No need to import. Take a shortcut, install electrum wallet in your PC and then from Bitcoin knots send all of your bitcoins to any address generated by the electrum wallet. This will cause you less trouble.

Edit: You should have done this instead of importing, as I see now you are having trouble.
Zosuda

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 02:23:59 PM

Code:

Code:

Edit:

thanks needed this code myself Smiley
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 02:25:13 PM

thanks needed this code myself Smiley
Well universal method is just export private key from your current wallet and import it in new wallet.
How to do it depends on wallet.
Jhanzo

Thank satoshi

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 02:43:21 PM

Restart electrum and if problem persists check your address in block explorers to see if the transaction is still there.  If it's still there then try importing to a new electrum wallet.

No need to import. Take a shortcut, install electrum wallet in your PC and then from Bitcoin knots send all of your bitcoins to any address generated by the electrum wallet. This will cause you less trouble.

Edit: You should have done this instead of importing, as I see now you are having trouble.

Uhh no.  The transaction have to show up in his history or he won't be able to send using it as input.  OP's transaction should be fairly new so that means downloading almost all of blockchain first.

You can create the transaction manually but that's no shortcut.

outatime1

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 12:46:41 AM

I think you can do this with blockchain.info. I know you can use it to sweep bitcoin off out of paper wallets as long as you have the private key.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 05:46:45 AM

I think you can do this with blockchain.info. I know you can use it to sweep bitcoin off out of paper wallets as long as you have the private key.

Don't recommend web wallets here. You don't want to encourage users to risk their security for the sake of convenience. By the way, Electrum also has this functionality.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║