Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:26:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinDesk hits a new low - publishing a pack of lies from NiceHash  (Read 926 times)
Wolf0 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 1002

It was only the wind.

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 02:24:57 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2018, 03:11:53 AM by Wolf0

NaN.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTCBusinessConsult

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

Active Trading on EPIC5k and Spectre.Ai

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 03:02:19 AM

Every time I open a link to your website I get strangely aroused.

Also yeah man... crazy

EPIC5k Trading on https://spectre.ai/?ref=PassiveIncome. Paying WEEKLY rewards in ETH since 2017. 100% FRAUD FREE Binary Trading Platform. $SXDT. Ask me about the ONLY smart options trading platform with 400% payouts, and their unique EPIC5000 trading system.
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 03:02:43 AM

Paid advertisers getting special press attention is common among marketers in journalists clothing.  I don't think it's that big of a deal though since nobody with a clue thinks much of CoinDesk to start with.  The only thing I ever use the site for is the bitcoin price history charts.

As for the NiceHash stratum implementation, the extranonce is an interesting idea, but I don't see how it protects against duplicate shares from the same miner.  So the pool still has to save each miner's shares for the last 5 blocks (assuming stale shares are accepted) to be sure they don't send dups.

Someone at NiceHash clearly has enough intelligence to come up with changes to the protocol and write pool code to support it (Ken?), but they're in that dangerous zone where they're still too stupid (or full of themselves) to realize when their ideas aren't so hot shit.

I know for myself at least half of my "great" ideas turn out to be not so great by the time I get to implementing them...
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 03:27:31 AM

I did not read the entire article but I can say that someone is probably getting screwed on hash looking at this pic.  I know that on my rigs I have very few invalid or rejected shares but purchasing hash it is a bit different.

Could it be someone sending bad shares?  If so why are they allowed to keep selling hash?

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
OhGodAGirl

Activity: 199
Merit: 108

Look, I'm really not that interesting. Promise.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 08:48:34 AM

Let me clear up a few things:

- Press Releases are not written, nor created by the publishing entity. They are created by the company.
- CoinDesk, and other sites, post the press release unedited - because that is the service they pay for.
- They not only have a disclaimer under the press release, but also one when you go to submit a press release.
- All press releases are like this. All. Of. Them. They are created by the company, and then the company pays websites to publish them.

Don't start raging at CoinDesk because of NiceHash's fuckup. NiceHash is the one solely to blame here. CoinDesk offers a service - a press release for $200 USD - that let's a company share their words with CoinDesk's userbase.

Press releases are also not on the main news page. They're kept buried away. As they should be.

Also, pet, please, don't ever call a press release an article. That's just wrong. Articles are well crafted linguistic labyrinths with facts or opinions riddled throughout. A press release is just a company polishing it's knob to get attention.
OhGodAGirl

Activity: 199
Merit: 108

Look, I'm really not that interesting. Promise.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 09:55:52 AM

Let me clear up a few things:

- Press Releases are not written, nor created by the publishing entity. They are created by the company.
- CoinDesk, and other sites, post the press release unedited - because that is the service they pay for.
- They not only have a disclaimer under the press release, but also one when you go to submit a press release.
- All press releases are like this. All. Of. Them. They are created by the company, and then the company pays websites to publish them.

Don't start raging at CoinDesk because of NiceHash's fuckup. NiceHash is the one solely to blame here. CoinDesk offers a service - a press release for $200 USD - that let's a company share their words with CoinDesk's userbase.

Press releases are also not on the main news page. They're kept buried away. As they should be.

Also, pet, please, don't ever call a press release an article. That's just wrong. Articles are well crafted linguistic labyrinths with facts or opinions riddled throughout. A press release is just a company polishing it's knob to get attention.

Fair to say. Still, NiceHash didn't even bend the truth here - they straight up lied about competing software and accused competing pools of basically theft, all to get attention and more miners.

Yes. NiceHash is at fault. I'm not even contesting that. Just the title ruffled my feathers. CoinDesk doesn't fact check because that's not what a press release is. 

NiceHash needs to hire a good, proper technical writer. Shit like this happens when you let people who don't know what they're doing write press packets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: