Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:48:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It Possible To Run ASIC on Old Windows Vista Laptop?  (Read 591 times)
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2646
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2016, 01:52:09 AM

I have two Gridseed Orbs and I hoping to get one to mine a different coin.  I'm having a virtual com port problem using this otherwise fine old laptop that's running windows vista.  I've reinstalled the same driver several times and tried another one from a different company.  I have been starting and so on and I still get "No Device Detected."  Is there any reason why Vista won't be able to run cgminer or something similar? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3522

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 11:51:04 AM

i have run cgminer on vista.

cgminer needs zadig to communicate to asics. did you install that?

http://zadig.akeo.ie/
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2016, 02:58:56 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2016, 04:17:10 PM by paramind22

Thanks.  I have gotten farther with it now that I turned automatic updates back on and updated.  There must have been something I didn't have and turned it off at one point to speed it up.  I  haven't spent a lot of time with it yet and I am still not able to run a script successfully, but there is a chance that might have been because of the state of a pool I was using at the time.  I'll find out soon. 

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 08:51:49 PM

Thanks.  I have gotten farther with it now that I turned automatic updates back on and updated.  There must have been something I didn't have and turned it off at one point to speed it up.  I  haven't spent a lot of time with it yet and I am still not able to run a script successfully, but there is a chance that might have been because of the state of a pool I was using at the time.  I'll find out soon. 

I highly suggest looking into a RPI.  They are not to much money normally around 30 bucks.  But check around and I think you will even find images, or you can set up the software yourself.

But you then have a very very low power controller vs a entire PC.  You will lose money running two of the old gridseeds on a full size pc, assuming you pay electricity.
BTC_ISTANBUL

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2016, 08:57:44 PM

You can use almost any computer by installing cgminer.However you will either cpu or gpu mining for BTC, just don't.If you are going to use SHA 256 to mine 888 or other promissing coins , it is a big 'PERHAPS'.
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2016, 09:28:37 PM

I highly suggest looking into a RPI.  They are not to much money normally around 30 bucks.  But check around and I think you will even find images, or you can set up the software yourself.

But you then have a very very low power controller vs a entire PC.  You will lose money running two of the old gridseeds on a full size pc, assuming you pay electricity.

That sounds like the way to go.  Thanks.

Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 10:40:39 PM

I would definitely not stop there, use custom OS's for it and you will definitely save yourself a headaches. I suggest Minera for these.

Looking at the Minera webpage right now. (I've heard of it before but never used)
Very cool that they have a Raspberry PI image.
Would be very interested to see how running the image compares in performance to running it on top of a already installed Linux OS.

Second time today I'm looking at things that have to do with Raspberry Pi. Maybe its time to finally buy one...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: