Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:07:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex hacked?  (Read 2933 times)
BasementMiner! (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 11:43:51 PM

I'm a user of Bitfinex. I noticed a huge amount of sells on ClarkMoody's Bitcoin app. I then tried to go to Bitfinex to go with the ride, however it seems it is currently down.

Could a cracker have gotten into Bitfinex's code base, and sold all the coins through MtGox's API?

As a Rails developer, I was aware of zero-day Rails vulnerabilities released to the public 2 days ago. Could Bitfinex be suffering the same fate as Bitcoinica?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jomplox

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 11:57:48 PM

The site is down for me. I hope this is just some downtime.  Undecided
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:06:43 AM

the minutes before being unreachable, the site became slow

My guess would be that just a lot of people tried to benefit from the price swing.
Maybe also a huge load of stop loss orders were fired

The site was operative just while the first sell broke to 24.8 -- thus I think the selloff was not initiated from bitfinex itself

Ichthyo

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:37:56 AM

plese note that it's well possible that the owner/operators of Bitfinex are asleep right now and we'll have to wait untill tomorrow
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:39:06 AM

Aw, shit.  It would suck if they got hacked Sad.

nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:45:25 AM

community.bitfinex.com is up.  Server probably overloaded.

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 12:53:08 AM

Not liking the looks of this... huge dump on gox at the same time the site goes down, reminds me too much of another hack

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:53:34 AM

The site was operative just while the first sell broke to 24.8 -- thus I think the selloff was not initiated from bitfinex itself
yep after 24.8 did not respond anymore

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:59:58 AM

Not liking the looks of this... huge dump on gox at the same time the site goes down, reminds me too much of another hack
i have a read only API key and the money is there @3k BTC and 76k USD

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
Ichthyo

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 01:05:03 AM

....the money is there @3k BTC and 76k USD

Ah thanks, good to know.
So lets just lean back and relax and watch the BTC rate and consider how to deal with the situation when the smoke has cleared up a bit....
myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 01:14:18 AM

also seams orders got executed (last trade was at 00:51 UTC, 5BTC @21,72USD) so i expect that ppl who got stop loss are out of the market more details will be needed from Raphael

myself
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 07:54:27 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2013, 08:08:34 AM by myself

you can see here https://bitfinex.com/pages/public_log that orders got hedged and nobody hacked the site or run whit your money

also here you can see the orders and forced executed orders https://i.imgur.com/G8kYb9t.jpg

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: