Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:13:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is POS better than POW?  (Read 566 times)
Goms (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 03:22:31 PM

I read somewhere that POW coins are mined while POS coins are bought and can not be mined.

People claim that POW is getting outdated fast, so why do people prefer POS to POW?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1709

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 05:37:09 PM

Its better for the environment and better for the coin itself since it won't be mined by huge mega farms that dump the coins for profit.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 05:58:17 PM

Its better for the environment and better for the coin itself since it won't be mined by huge mega farms that dump the coins for profit.

That's all conjecture until we have a widely-tested coin using PoS for a reasonable amount of time.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 07:23:10 PM

It's not better, it's different like apples and oranges.

PoS coins also have the equivalent of "huge mega farms" they just called whales who own and stake a large amount of the total supply.
Which brings me to my problem with pure PoS coins that it's going against good distribution because it's basically a rich gets richer scheme.
Users are incentivized to hoard and hold their coins to stake instead of using them and pushing them back to circulation. Staking is basically a method for creating artificial scarcity in order to try increasing the price - instead of natural growth.

The more you hold, the more you earn. But since every staker earns coins at the same rate, nobody really earn any value over other holders (their slice of the cake is the same in relation to the whole cake) unless the value of the coin increases.

Sure, PoS has its advantages and PoW has its disadvantages but I believe PoW is superior for crypto especially now that we're rushing towards renewable electricity.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Bakery

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2016, 05:17:09 PM

PoS coins also have the equivalent of "huge mega farms" they just called whales who own and stake a large amount of the total supply.
Which brings me to my problem with pure PoS coins that it's going against good distribution because it's basically a rich gets richer scheme.
Users are incentivized to hoard and hold their coins to stake instead of using them and pushing them back to circulation. Staking is basically a method for creating artificial scarcity in order to try increasing the price - instead of natural growth.

The more you hold, the more you earn. But since every staker earns coins at the same rate, nobody really earn any value over other holders (their slice of the cake is the same in relation to the whole cake) unless the value of the coin increases.

Sure, PoS has its advantages and PoW has its disadvantages but I believe PoW is superior for crypto especially now that we're rushing towards renewable electricity.
Thank you for your insightful and wise thoughs!
I'm glad that my own (incomplete) knowledge was at least going towrds the right direction!
Cheers! Wink
Mugatu

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 01:21:39 AM

I agree 100% with this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: