Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:05:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated passphrase then my hard drive died before being able to update backups  (Read 498 times)
navelgazer (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 09:51:28 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2016, 11:03:48 PM by navelgazer

Hi,

It's just I simple question I have while my wallet is syncing.

Downloaded the entire blockchain just to see if my Bitcoins were still OK, recovered an old wallet that I had backed up on Dropbox. Entered my passphrase, so far so good. Figured it would be a good practice to change my passphrase to a different one (I generate random passwords with KeePass so no chance of brute force it) and didn't updated my keepass database backup online, next thing I know when I try to do that is that that hard drive isnt responding and then puff it was dead.

Question is, I got an old wallet with a password that I know worked back then but then I changed it. Can I recover my old wallet with the old password???

Thanks!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 09:53:44 PM

Hi,

Downloaded the entire blockchain just to see if my Bitcoins were still OK, recovered an old wallet that I had backed up on Dropbox. Entered my passphrase, so far so good. Figured it would be a good practice to change my passphrase to a different one (I generate random passwords with KeePass so no chance of brute force it) and didn't updated my keepass database backup online, next thing I know when I try to do that is that that hard drive isnt responding and then puff it was dead.

Question is, I got an old wallet with a password that I know worked back then but then I changed it. Can I recover my old wallet with the old password???

Thanks!

Yes.

The password is used to encrypt the backup file, so the new password will never work on the old backup (it was encrypted with your old password).  It will only ever work on the new backup (which was encrypted with the new password, but which you didn't get a chance to backup yet).

Notice that changing your password didn't increase your security at all as long as that old backup was still sitting around.  If someone got a hold of that old backup and knew your old password, then your new password will have accomplished nothing.

If you are concerned that your old password is compromised and you want your bitcoins to be secured with a new password, what you should do is:

• Create a new empty wallet
  • Set a new password for this new wallet
  • Create a secure backup of this new wallet
  • Send all your bitcoins from your old wallet to this new wallet
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 6505

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2016, 10:07:30 PM

Hi,

Thanks!
As Danny said above, it will work. However, one caveat is that you will only be able to recover your Bitcoin so long as you did not happen to spend any after you changed the password. This is because the pregenerated keypool is changed with every password change so the keypools of your backup and the wallet after the password change are different. This affects change addresses and new addresses for receiving Bitcoin.

navelgazer (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 10:16:58 PM

All right! seems like I can save them! thanks for you fast replies! I'll wait until it finishes the re-scan and I'll let you guys know what happened! :fingerscrossed:
navelgazer (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 10:59:53 PM

YAY!!!  Grin passphrase successfully changed!!! thanks dudes Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: