Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:07:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Government vs Bitcoin ?  (Read 5899 times)
farmer_boy

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 09:17:32 PM

We do _not_ have a working self-replicating 3D printer yet. reprap.org is often marketed as one, but you still have to do lots of human labour to replicate one. When the day comes that you can replicate the original in a day without human effort, can use more materials than currently supported, have a lot less variance (this is manufacturing!), that will be the day where you can think about printing cars, etc.

Currently, we have hyped technology that can create plastic items (that cannot even contain all liquids without leaking). It's a great project, but to think it will be "done" in 5-10 years is a mistake. If anything, major advances could come from increases in processing power, but they have to be enormous (kind of like how GPUs have been growing in capability in a limited domain of computations), but I don't see it happening. I used to, but progress has been too slow over the past 5 years in this area.

For example we really should have been able to buy memristor based technology by now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tyler

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 09:23:00 PM

We do _not_ have a working self-replicating 3D printer yet. reprap.org is often marketed as one, but you still have to do lots of human labour to replicate one. When the day comes that you can replicate the original in a day without human effort, can use more materials than currently supported, have a lot less variance (this is manufacturing!), that will be the day where you can think about printing cars, etc.

Currently, we have hyped technology that can create plastic items (that cannot even contain all liquids without leaking). It's a great project, but to think it will be "done" in 5-10 years is a mistake. If anything, major advances could come from increases in processing power, but they have to be enormous (kind of like how GPUs have been growing in capability in a limited domain of computations), but I don't see it happening. I used to, but progress has been too slow over the past 5 years in this area.

For example we really should have been able to buy memristor based technology by now.

Portland Oregon is working on a community owned laser project
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:10:50 PM

How is one going to buy let's say a car underground? Cars have to be registered, etc. Transactions above certain amounts have to be registered, etc. How is Bitcoin or an alternative system going to get around that? For digital goods one could use Bitcoin, but most  interesting goods are not digital.

Well, if you want a new Mercedes Benz or something like that, then you will need to buy it in the old economy.  However, I could envision a resourceful agorist buying an old clunker with some national currency and restoring it to like new condition and then selling it for Bitcoins.  When you register the car, which would already have a title, you would only have to pay taxes on its old, unrestored value. 

In the future, there will be a greater availability of desktop manufacturing devices and eventually molecular manufacturing machines, so the percentage of the world economy that can be delivered digitally is only going to increase.

So commodity markets will be even bigger in the future. Imagine buying exotic matters so that you could print them with your machine.

Watch out for copyrights! "You wouldn't copy a car would you?" ;-)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:11:46 PM

Was anybody here talking about reprap being finished in few years ?
Reprap is probably decades from "completion" meaning when it will be possible to print something complex with it, without the need of any human intervention...

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:14:52 PM

Reprap is probably decades from "completion" meaning when it will be possible to print something complex with it, without the need of any human intervention...

Rerap made possible makerbot. Makerbot make more makerbot operators, who are hacker type. More hackers mean more effort. More effort mean more inventing and innovation.

Currently, you can basically mass produce on a small scale plastic objects.

tyler

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:52:54 PM

Rerap made possible makerbot. Makerbot make more makerbot operators, who are hacker type. More hackers mean more effort. More effort mean more inventing and innovation.

Currently, you can basically mass produce on a small scale plastic objects.

mass produced small plastic objects. exactly what the world needs more of
farmer_boy

View Profile
November 29, 2010, 10:56:30 PM

I sensed a strong suggestion by some people before me that 3D printing technology is already a miracle technology. Your prediction is closer to what I would predict.

FYI, in various videos they claim literallly "within 5 to 10 years you will all have your own RepRap and you can then just print another one for a friend by pressing a button". That's the marketing I am talking about. That time duration is a unfounded number. As a wise man said "Making predictions is hard, especially about the future".
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
November 30, 2010, 12:26:36 AM

Watch out for copyrights! "You wouldn't copy a car would you?" ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg
amzadabir

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:43:59 PM

Bitcoin can improve the country's government. Most people who own cryptocurrencies think that it is a movement against the government and it's cruel regulations but also keep in mind that,
Both Cryptocurrencies and Government are here to stay
So rather than dissing government, the whole cryptocurrency community should work together in government and help them learn the benefits it will bring.
What we all do can?
ostrovagaly

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:57:31 PM

Yes, in some countries that are at the stage of not even developed infrastructure, it makes no sense to think about bitcoin. And there are such countries.
ilyashpakin2015

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 04:50:04 PM

It's very cool to invest now at Bitcoin and because this is the only stable currency on the market.
katarina007

Activity: 32

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 09:46:04 AM

I think the government has an influence on the bitcoin and whether the bitcoin is allowed to exist in that country.
previouslyabused

Activity: 59
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 07:57:01 AM

I like this idea, I think there will be some experts here who can help you improve it
beliveinsomeone

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 11:02:07 AM

Everyone downloading and starting the bitcoin will automatically strenghten the network as it affects the network and is often recommended. 75% of people will not even notice such a message and 3% will want to help the network or the miners.
EffahTom

Activity: 30

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 01:38:21 PM

Governments should even stay out of bitcoin
asadbd1

Activity: 155

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 03:31:43 AM

Most people who own cryptocurabicca, they think that this is a movement against the government and it's cruel rules, but keep in mind that cryptococcinosis and the government are both here to stay here. Instead of confusing the government, the entire cryptoornance community will have to work with the government and Will help to learn the benefits of profit which is not only to the people but the groom Government will bring.
Ava Duvall

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 07:43:47 AM

Yes, in some countries that are at the stage of not even developed infrastructure, it makes no sense to think about bitcoin. And there are such countries.
Sadly it's true. countries need to improve and develop more to even look into bitcoin.
GreatGEEK

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 01:52:02 PM

If think the government is interested in Bitcoin because it still isn't much regulated. Imagine how huge are the money flows – undoubtedly, the governments want to be able to track all the transactions.
kalstarzz

Activity: 770
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 02:11:55 PM

Maybe this is something that has been discussed before, but, what if a government, any government really, for any reason, decided to take down the bitcoin network or simply DOS the hell out of it ?

My calculation might be incredibly naive, but if I take the figures from bitcoinwatch[1], and fiddle a bit with the bitcoin calculator[2] :
 - Right now (block 88894), 180 blocks generated during last 24h
 - that's a block every 8 minutes on average
 - average of 8 minutes for block generation would require 25 ghashes/s

So if my logic isn't flawed, the network as a whole crunches at approximately 25,000 mhashes/s

So, that's 42 Radeon 5970 graphic cards if i take the advertised figures here[3].

So anyone with a little spare money (let's say 100k$) can successfully :

1. generate at full speed with tweaked client,
2. stop right after difficulty increase, significantly slowing down the block generation and transaction handling
3. repeat after difficulty decrease,
4. sell generated coins,
5. increase crunching power
6. finish by undermining trust in bitcoins, (advertise your attack, refuse to include transaction in generated blocks etc.)

I don't think there's much incentive for regular people to donate CPU time which would make such an attack really hard :
 - On regular computers, with most widespread OS, generating gets the fan to be really noisy (might seem like nothing, but I personnally hate loud computers)
 - Generation rate is really slow unless you know how to get your GPU to do the work

I think bitcoin security could come from millions of people donating a few khashes/s and not a few people giving a bunch of mhashes/s. My point is that I don't really see an incentive for regular people to generate.

Is my logic completely flawed or should I just dump my wallet on mtgox and run ? =)

calm down, now cryptocurrency users have a lot, if we strong users maintain it, then the government will give permission to all of us, I am sure that can happen, depending on how our efforts are.
TropicalResource782

Activity: 59

View Profile
August 31, 2018, 05:16:38 PM

Bitcoin is not the enemy of government neither government but there is a big misunderstanding and that is government want to regulate it but bitcoin is beyond regulation.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: