Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:26:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Create a Chain from Scratch in Python??  (Read 489 times)
Greentext (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 07:57:46 PM

I have an idea I'd like to transform into code, particularly a blockchain very similar to Bitcoin created from scratch, with different consensus and mining rules.  Essentially a distributed ledger, just functioning differently.  However, I can't program well in C++, I'd be spending months learning compiler directives and what's going on in the code.  I've already tried figuring out the Litecoin source, and it's essentially meaningless to me.  I have a basic understanding of C, but large Cpp projects are literally foreign to me.  I come from a strong Python/web development background (I'm a beta programmer, stuck to interpreted languages) but need a blockchain, so I was wondering whether or not it would be impossible to create a chain from scratch on a scripting language?  I know Cpp is better for numerous reasons, but do you at least think it's possible so I'm not wasting my time?  Those with experience, is there any merit to creating a blockchain with an interpreted language, or are there reasons for which this is destined to be an absolute failure?  I understand all the theory of blockchains and how they work, but I don't have the programming skills to apply those concepts in anything more complicated than Python.  I can write Bitcoin transactions, work with API's, etc. in Python, but the actual Cpp source for whole projects, along with creating genesis blocks and what have ypu is currently exponential degrees of magnitude out of my league.

I've become obsessed and depressed stressing over recent global affairs, and because of this I can't think about anything besides this idea in my mind, my productivity has been reduced to zero.  I've thought about getting a partner to write the chain portion of the project, but I can't rely on other people for all the actual work so I figure if my last option is learn Cpp I will strap down and learn it.  If Python is not an option and I must learn a compiled language, where should I start?  Any essential reading?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThatRandom8543

Activity: 1330
Merit: 307

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 05:49:18 PM

I have an idea I'd like to transform into code, particularly a blockchain very similar to Bitcoin created from scratch, with different consensus and mining rules.  Essentially a distributed ledger, just functioning differently.  However, I can't program well in C++, I'd be spending months learning compiler directives and what's going on in the code.  I've already tried figuring out the Litecoin source, and it's essentially meaningless to me.  I have a basic understanding of C, but large Cpp projects are literally foreign to me.  I come from a strong Python/web development background (I'm a beta programmer, stuck to interpreted languages) but need a blockchain, so I was wondering whether or not it would be impossible to create a chain from scratch on a scripting language?  I know Cpp is better for numerous reasons, but do you at least think it's possible so I'm not wasting my time?  Those with experience, is there any merit to creating a blockchain with an interpreted language, or are there reasons for which this is destined to be an absolute failure?  I understand all the theory of blockchains and how they work, but I don't have the programming skills to apply those concepts in anything more complicated than Python.  I can write Bitcoin transactions, work with API's, etc. in Python, but the actual Cpp source for whole projects, along with creating genesis blocks and what have ypu is currently exponential degrees of magnitude out of my league.

I've become obsessed and depressed stressing over recent global affairs, and because of this I can't think about anything besides this idea in my mind, my productivity has been reduced to zero.  I've thought about getting a partner to write the chain portion of the project, but I can't rely on other people for all the actual work so I figure if my last option is learn Cpp I will strap down and learn it.  If Python is not an option and I must learn a compiled language, where should I start?  Any essential reading?

It doesnt always have to be done in C/C++. It can be done in python too. If python isnt your type, you can try Go, Rust, D, Ocaml, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: