Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:55:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit bloom filters  (Read 763 times)
nezhurin (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 06:23:38 PM

From what I understand in this case it wont matter that the user IP is exposed since when multibit will try to get balance of your address it will in the sametime try to get balance of other addresses that dont belong to you is my understanding of bloom filters good? and are they enabled by default

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 07:26:34 PM

How Bloom filters for Bitcoin work are defined at https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0037.mediawiki. They must be used by default with Multibit otherwise the wallet wouldn't be an SPV client.

nezhurin (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 08:06:06 PM

How Bloom filters for Bitcoin work are defined at https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0037.mediawiki. They must be used by default with Multibit otherwise the wallet wouldn't be an SPV client.

So if I understand correctly it doesnt make a request with only the address that is personally being used but it downloads the entire last block(?) and it check if the transaction is found?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 09:30:30 PM

So if I understand correctly it doesnt make a request with only the address that is personally being used but it downloads the entire last block(?) and it check if the transaction is found?
No. It tells the peer to set a specific bloom filter. That filter means that if any part of a transaction (hash, outputs, inputs, etc) matches that filter (i.e. do some operations with the filter and if it matches one thing should return and if not, a different one). If there is a match, it will relay that transaction to multibit, otherwise it will not. Multibit then has to check the transaction itself to see if it pertains to the wallet. Bloom filters have the effect of having false positives but no false negatives. That means that every transaction that the peer relays to Multibit may not actually pertain to the wallet, but the wallet will receive every transaction that pertains to it.

nezhurin (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 09:03:53 AM

No. It tells the peer to set a specific bloom filter. That filter means that if any part of a transaction (hash, outputs, inputs, etc) matches that filter (i.e. do some operations with the filter and if it matches one thing should return and if not, a different one). If there is a match, it will relay that transaction to multibit, otherwise it will not. Multibit then has to check the transaction itself to see if it pertains to the wallet. Bloom filters have the effect of having false positives but no false negatives. That means that every transaction that the peer relays to Multibit may not actually pertain to the wallet, but the wallet will receive every transaction that pertains to it.

So does it offer any privacy at all?
The guy running multibit node for getting balances of address is he able to see what IP address looked up which address or no?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2016, 12:18:43 PM

So does it offer any privacy at all?
The guy running multibit node for getting balances of address is he able to see what IP address looked up which address or no?
A person running a peer that multibit connects to is able to see which transactions are relayed to which peer. So, it is possible for that person to know which transactions were sent to your multibit wallet. However, because bloom filters include false positives, it is not possible for him to know exactly which transactions actually belonged to you. He just knows that some of the transactions relayed to you are actually yours.

Goms

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 11:09:22 PM

So essentially, Multibit offers more privacy than Electrum. How much is the Multibit fees?
Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: