Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2018, 05:39:33 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [General] Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why?  (Read 83180 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CryptoEnthused

Activity: 174
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 07:40:01 PM

I have a question about Electrum. Can't understand one thing. After every transaction, Electrum generates new receiving address. What if I use the same address? And the second question: when I hit send, it only offers me to fill in the amount I want to send but I don't see where it says from which address I want to send it. How can I choose from which address do I want to spend by BTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1065

Hire BOUNTYPORTALS>Bounty management goo.gl/XKv9TK

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:45:07 AM

I have a question about Electrum. Can't understand one thing. After every transaction, Electrum generates new receiving address. What if I use the same address? And the second question: when I hit send, it only offers me to fill in the amount I want to send but I don't see where it says from which address I want to send it. How can I choose from which address do I want to spend by BTC?

It's for privacy reasons so someone can't link multiple transactions to you. You are free to use the same address over and over. As from sending from specific address then you should head to your receiving addresses, Right click the address and choose "Spend from".

CryptoEnthused

Activity: 174
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:11:37 AM

It's for privacy reasons so someone can't link multiple transactions to you. You are free to use the same address over and over. As from sending from specific address then you should head to your receiving addresses, Right click the address and choose "Spend from".

Thanks. And if I don't choose it specifically, Electrum determines address from which to spend randomly?

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:20:41 AM

Thanks. And if I don't choose it specifically, Electrum determines address from which to spend randomly?

It's not random. If you go to Preferences => Transactions => Coin Selection, you will see that you have two options (Priority and Privacy). By default, It's "Priority".

MNBen

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:05:40 PM

I have read a lot but cannot find an answer to my question. It seems like the term "bitcoin" is used as a general name for all crypto currency. Kind of like Kleenex is for facial tissue. Which causes misconception and confusion looking for wallets.
Does Blockchain . info / wallet hold any type of coin or only bitcoin? I am looking for a wallet to hold XRP ETH OMG and others preferably all in one wallet.
Is it common to have multiple wallets (online or off) based on which coin is being held?
I am thinking bitaddress. org may be my best option.
Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1505

GUNBOT Licenses -15% with ref. code 'GrumpyKitty'

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 02:08:48 PM

It seems like the term "bitcoin" is used as a general name for all crypto currency.
No. There is only one Bitcoin (BTC), and it is the first crypto-currency, and the only one massively adopted/the only digital gold.

Does Blockchain . info / wallet hold any type of coin or only bitcoin?
Don't use online wallets.

I am looking for a wallet to hold XRP ETH OMG and others preferably all in one wallet.
Avoid multiple coin wallets.

Is it common to have multiple wallets (online or off) based on which coin is being held?
Yes.

No. Download the wallet that is designed for each currency.

.FORTUNE.JACK.
      ▄▄███████▄▄
   ▄████▀▀ ▄ ██████▄
  ████ ▄▄███ ████████
 █████▌▐███▌ ▀▄ ▀█████
███████▄██▀▀▀▀▄████████
█████▀▄▄▄▄█████████████
████▄▄▄▄ █████████████
 ██████▌ ███▀████████
  ███████▄▀▄████████
   ▀█████▀▀███████▀
      ▀▀██████▀▀

█
...FortuneJack.com                                             
...THE BIGGEST BITCOIN GAMBLING SITE
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██
█████████▀███████████▄
██████████▀   ▀██████████
█████████▀       ▀█████████
████████           ████████
████████▄   ▄ ▄   ▄████████
██████████▀   ▀██████████
 ▀██
█████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
#JACKMATE
WIN 1 BTC
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀░░▀░░░░░▀░░▀███████
██████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████░░░░██░░░██░░░░██████
█████▌░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄░░▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

▀█████████████████████████▀
MNBen

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 02:32:37 PM

No. Download the wallet that is designed for each currency.
[/quote]

So, Bitaddress . org is only for bitcoin?

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 04:39:13 PM

So, Bitaddress . org is only for bitcoin?

It's clearly written on the site "Bitcoin Wallet Generator". Bitaddress is used for making paper wallets most of the time (for long term storage). If you want to spend on a regular basis, use something like Electrum (yes, for BTC only).

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 05:29:02 PM

Will there be problems if I use several bitcoins of wallets?

If you're using a different software for each one then not really as each wallet create its own folder in AppData (e.g Multibit, Electrum etc.) so it won't overwrite the old wallet.dat you already had from another software and as for creating multiple wallets using the same software (e.g Electrum) then the answer is no too as It will ask you to name the wallet so you should just name it differently.

Midoucha

Activity: 58

Sofía Maria Malagueña

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 08:55:13 PM

Electrum is the best wallet in my opinion. However, I think that will be awesome to create a Multisig wallet Desktop.
investing101

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 10:30:33 PM

Electrum is the best wallet in my opinion. However, I think that will be awesome to create a Multisig wallet Desktop.

Noob here:  Say I buy a currency with Cryptopia, the secure thing to do is to move the coin to a wallet and not keep it at Cryptopia? I have a Mac and iPhone what wallet should I use and how would I transfer from Cryptopia to that wallet?
landuvour

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 12:55:30 AM

Noob here:  Say I buy a currency with Cryptopia, the secure thing to do is to move the coin to a wallet and not keep it at Cryptopia? I have a Mac and iPhone what wallet should I use and how would I transfer from Cryptopia to that wallet?

Mobile wallets on Android are the easiest to use and very well maintained. I would recommend Mycelium. On a desktop system, Electrum is very good. But, best option is to use a hard wallet. It means your bitcoins or other tokens are physically stored there, for example, I advise you to use Ledger Nano S.
mr.garant

Activity: 63
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 03:18:00 PM

Can I ask you guys why you dont let your money on exchange sites. ?like bittrex and binance and so. Arent they safe enough with authenticator

FIXYNETWORK // Cryptocurrency for day to day life
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 03:29:07 PM

Can I ask you guys why you dont let your money on exchange sites. ?like bittrex and binance and so. Arent they safe enough with authenticator

An exchange doesn't give you control over your private keys. 2FA is to protect you from someone trying to hack your account only but not from a hacker trying to hack the exchange hot wallets because the balance you see in your account is just 1's and 0's, when you request a withdrawal, funds will move from the exchange addresses.

ChiBitCTy

Activity: 336
Merit: 370

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:50:33 PM

This is a fantastic thread!  I really wish that I had taken more time as newbie on this site to learn the basics.  I've lost BTC in to the "abyss", and I still don't know exactly what I did wrong because at the time..I had no clue what I was doing!  

Couple wallet tips that really need to be driven home-

Exchanges /Hot-wallet sites/apps .. ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS HERE.  They don't care about you they care about your BTC!  Keeping BTC on a hot wallet goes against what BTC stands for (decentralization)  and in all reality makes your coins more so theirs than yours (you don't own a private key).   Move to cold storage! Listen to Lauda and staff here trying to help you.  They don't have ulterior motives.   They are here to truly help you.  I didn't understand that when I first arrived.  Use paper-wallets and set them up correctly. Take your time!

Cold storage hardware- BUY FROM MANUFACTURER ONLY!  This is HUGE.  There are now reports of Ledger Hardware wallets having been compromised and people loosing all of their coins out of no where seeminly.  If you think about it..A Chinese factory that fakes everything (and they do damn good jobs of it) can easily buy up a bunch of wallets, take them out , hack them somehow and put them back in and seal them up perfectly and you'd never know.  Or simply make their own that is 100% identical looking.  Then off to Ebay, Amazon etc.  You would never know the difference.  

https://www.ledger.fr/2018/02/05/man-middle-attack-risk/

FORTUNEJACK
      ▄▄███████▄▄
   ▄████▀▀ ▄ ██████▄
  ████ ▄▄███ ████████
 █████▌▐███▌ ▀▄ ▀█████
███████▄██▀▀▀▀▄████████
█████▀▄▄▄▄█████████████
████▄▄▄▄ █████████████
 ██████▌ ███▀████████
  ███████▄▀▄████████
   ▀█████▀▀███████▀
      ▀▀██████▀▀

█
...FortuneJack.com                                             
...THE BIGGEST BITCOIN GAMBLING SITE
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██
█████████▀███████████▄
██████████▀   ▀██████████
█████████▀       ▀█████████
████████           ████████
████████▄   ▄ ▄   ▄████████
██████████▀   ▀██████████
 ▀██
█████████████████████▀
  ▀██
███████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
#JACKMATE
WIN 1 BTC
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀░░▀░░░░░▀░░▀███████
██████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐██████
██████░░░░██░░░██░░░░██████
█████▌░░░░▀▀░░░▀▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄░░▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄░░▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
Oneandonlydl

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 09:47:47 AM

This is a fantastic thread!  I really wish that I had taken more time as newbie on this site to learn the basics.  I've lost BTC in to the "abyss", and I still don't know exactly what I did wrong because at the time..I had no clue what I was doing!  

Couple wallet tips that really need to be driven home-

Exchanges /Hot-wallet sites/apps .. ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS HERE.  They don't care about you they care about your BTC!  Keeping BTC on a hot wallet goes against what BTC stands for (decentralization)  and in all reality makes your coins more so theirs than yours (you don't own a private key).   Move to cold storage! Listen to Lauda and staff here trying to help you.  They don't have ulterior motives.   They are here to truly help you.  I didn't understand that when I first arrived.  Use paper-wallets and set them up correctly. Take your time!

Cold storage hardware- BUY FROM MANUFACTURER ONLY!  This is HUGE.  There are now reports of Ledger Hardware wallets having been compromised and people loosing all of their coins out of no where seeminly.  If you think about it..A Chinese factory that fakes everything (and they do damn good jobs of it) can easily buy up a bunch of wallets, take them out , hack them somehow and put them back in and seal them up perfectly and you'd never know.  Or simply make their own that is 100% identical looking.  Then off to Ebay, Amazon etc.  You would never know the difference.  

https://www.ledger.fr/2018/02/05/man-middle-attack-risk/

This is a way to verify the security of the Ledger Nano S. "For advanced hardware savvy users only"

https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005321449-How-to-verify-the-security-integrity-of-my-Nano-S-
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.