Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 06:47:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Narcotics Control Bureau is trying to freeze which Indian Bitcoin exchange?  (Read 1206 times)
Johny Depp (OP)

Activity: 211
Merit: 125

busting the bastards

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 04:09:57 PM

I just read the following in CoinTelegraph as stated by Sudhir Chaudhary in Zee News...

“We're also making this segment because an Indian agency is trying to freeze a Bitcoin exchange. Drug sellers are using Bitcoin, and a division of the Indian government, the Narcotics Control Bureau, has seized 500 Bitcoins. As one bitcoin is 45k rupees, the amount frozen is around 2 crores and 25 lakhs.”

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/largest-indian-news-network-bitcoin-will-reach-us10000

Which Indian Bitcoin Exchange Zee News Business Head and Senior Editor Sudhir Chaudhary is referring to?

Exposing frauds since 2014
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 05:19:48 PM

I just read the following in CoinTelegraph as stated by Sudhir Chaudhary in Zee News...

“We're also making this segment because an Indian agency is trying to freeze a Bitcoin exchange. Drug sellers are using Bitcoin, and a division of the Indian government, the Narcotics Control Bureau, has seized 500 Bitcoins. As one bitcoin is 45k rupees, the amount frozen is around 2 crores and 25 lakhs.”

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/largest-indian-news-network-bitcoin-will-reach-us10000

Which Indian Bitcoin Exchange Zee News Business Head and Senior Editor Sudhir Chaudhary is referring to?

I think no exchanges were closed actually.

an Indian agency is trying to freeze a Bitcoin exchange.

The key word here is " trying" so no worries. This is just the way journalists like to present their news, to attract more attention.
Johny Depp (OP)

Activity: 211
Merit: 125

busting the bastards

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 07:17:07 PM

The key word here is " trying" so no worries. This is just the way journalists like to present their news, to attract more attention.
I dint say anyone has been closed. I asked which one they are trying to close? I think there are ~4 exchanges in India and all operators are on this forum. So, the operator might tell us which one is under scrutiny by Narcotics Control Bureau. If any one is under scrutiny, operator must have been intimidated by now.

Exposing frauds since 2014
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 01:59:36 PM

I dint say anyone has been closed. I asked which one they are trying to close? I think there are ~4 exchanges in India and all operators are on this forum. So, the operator might tell us which one is under scrutiny by Narcotics Control Bureau. If any one is under scrutiny, operator must have been intimidated by now.

The other news items mentioned the Narcotics Control Bureau trying to 'seize' bitcoins, not freeze them.
You can read about the other articles here -
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1658684.0
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 04:56:02 PM

Is this anyhow related to this ? http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/drugs-worth-rs-3-000-crore-seized-in-udaipur-bollywood-producer-arrested-1620431

If not, then I don't see why they would waste their time on something which isn't even the big game.

just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 06:27:01 PM

I'm sorry if my reply wasn't what you were expecting but I couldn't find the information about any Bitcoin exchange in India which are closed or going to be closed by police. That's why I thought it was most likely an exaggeration of danger made by press.
Rotten Egg

Activity: 172
Merit: 22

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 10:46:43 AM

I found ZebPay was aggressively promoting this video. So, may be NCB is investigating ZebPay. But, whether it is ZebPay or any other exchange, I dont see why they should be shut down because of this. If criminals keep money in bank, do they shut down banks itself?

Cleaning BitcoinTalk community since 2014.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: