Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:23:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin hasten the collapse of the US dollar?  (Read 2870 times)
Brutus I

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:28:26 PM

Gimpy I agree with you in principle but keep in mind that right now bitcoin is still a drop in the bucket that doesn't present any real threat to the current order. If that changes then it will be attacked. Most seem to be focused on network resiliency. But I don't see that as the attack point. What do you think would happen to the value of BTC if MtGox were to be shut down? And then go after every company within the system that accepts bitcoin? It's value would plummet. I don't see it being eliminated as a black market currency but gov could certainly go a long way toward driving it's use out of the on record business environment and into the black market. I won't make predictions as to how that would play out but I can tell you it wouldn't be as straight forward as the scenario in the OP.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StephenJH

Activity: 1442
Merit: 521

No more Rekt and Bust

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:37:34 PM

bitcoin is still a drop in the bucket that doesn't present any real threat to the current order.
-brutus

I'm not so sure..., The people could adopt it en masse and how is that not a threat? Just because there is a certain low total number of bitcoins to be 'minted' does not mean the economy of the world is not divisible by that number. Each bitcoin would just be worth a helluva lot and people would be buying houses and cars with fractional amounts of btc.

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FortuneJack.
  ▄█▄        █           ▄
 ▄████▄▄ ▄▄▀▀██▄▄      ▄███
█▄███████▄▄██████▄▄▄█████
 █▄██████▌▀▄▄███▀▄▄▄▀▀██
  ▄▀████ █▄██▄██▄▄▄▄▀██
   ▀▀▄▀███▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀█████▀▄
     ████▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▄█
    ▐▌▄█████▀   ▄▄▄█▄▄  ███
     ▀█▄▀█▀▀▄  ████▀███▄▀
       ▐▌▄ ▄█▄█▀██▌ ▀▄
       █▄████▀▀    ▄▄▄█▄
        ▀▄▄▀▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
           ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ BY
HACKSAW
G  A  M  I  N  G
          ▄▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▀▀██▄▄█▄▄
   ▄█▀████████▄▀▀██▄
▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄█████▐███▄
▀██▄▀█▀▀▀▀███▀▀▐▌
█▄██▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▄██▐▌
▐▀▀▄▀▀▀▀  ▀  ▀█▀████▀
 ▀█▀  ▐▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄▀██▄
 █  ▄██████████▄  ▄█▄
▐▌▀▀█████████████████
▐▌ ▐  ▀▌   ▀  ▀██▀▄█
 ▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄▄▀▀
   ▀▀▄▄█▀▀█▄▄▄▄█▀▀
|
....OVER $2,000,000!....
ALREADY GIVEN AWAY
IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS
....PLAY NOW....
john_acton

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:38:05 PM

I do not believe the US dollar will collapse any time soon.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:38:50 PM

But then you gotta explain how you've come to this conclusion Tongue

Brutus I

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:47:24 PM

bitcoin is still a drop in the bucket that doesn't present any real threat to the current order.
-brutus

I'm not so sure..., The people could adopt it en masse and how is that not a threat? Just because there is a certain low total number of bitcoins to be 'minted' does not mean the economy of the world is not divisible by that number. Each bitcoin would just be worth a helluva lot and people would be buying houses and cars with fractional amounts of btc.

What could be in the future and what is at the present time are not one and the same.
john_acton

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:48:19 PM

But then you gotta explain how you've come to this conclusion Tongue

The global economy would collapse along with the US dollar. China needs US consumers to buy what they are producing. China will keep on buying US treasury bills to make sure that the US can keep borrowing for the foreseeable future and make sure that China keeps growing.
GimpyPrime (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:48:38 PM

Gimpy I agree with you in principle but keep in mind that right now bitcoin is still a drop in the bucket that doesn't present any real threat to the current order. If that changes then it will be attacked. Most seem to be focused on network resiliency. But I don't see that as the attack point. What do you think would happen to the value of BTC if MtGox were to be shut down? And then go after every company within the system that accepts bitcoin? It's value would plummet. I don't see it being eliminated as a black market currency but gov could certainly go a long way toward driving it's use out of the on record business environment and into the black market. I won't make predictions as to how that would play out but I can tell you it wouldn't be as straight forward as the scenario in the OP.

Of course there is alot of wishful thinking in the OP, as I said this is hypothetical only.

Here is something to consider though. The majority of Bitcoin transactions are currently to exchange illegal goods/services, most of which are totally untraceable because the websites are only available through the TOR network. A significant number of Bitcoin purchases are done through cash in person, and is actually still a very strong network.

The services which you are concerned the government may attack could only scratch the surface and likely remove the only investors who aren't participating in organized crime(Minus Counterfitting of course, lol). Drug dealers continue business as usual, but now you can't buy DVDs online with Bitcoins. I hope that isn't what qualifies as a win for the US government.

Everytime the government tries to suppress freedom it backfires. Decentralized websites already exist and perhaps that will be the future. They remain forever out of reach from authorities.

The final play the government could make would be shutting down the internet. How likely is that to happen?
No 1

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:53:15 PM

the dollar is fucking dead.

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
Brutus I

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:57:54 PM

Of course there is alot of wishful thinking in the OP, as I said this is hypothetical only.

Here is something to consider though. The majority of Bitcoin transactions are currently to exchange illegal goods/services, most of which are totally untraceable because the websites are only available through the TOR network. A significant number of Bitcoin purchases are done through cash in person, and is actually still a very strong network.

The services which you are concerned the government may attack could only scratch the surface and likely remove the only investors who aren't participating in organized crime(Minus Counterfitting of course, lol). Drug dealers continue business as usual, but now you can't buy DVDs online with Bitcoins. I hope that isn't what qualifies as a win for the US government.

Everytime the government tries to suppress freedom it backfires. Decentralized websites already exist and perhaps that will be the future. They remain forever out of reach from authorities.

The final play the government could make would be shutting down the internet. How likely is that to happen?

I would consider that a win for the powers that be if bitcoin were restricted to being a black market currency and private cash trade. It would mean the vast majority of the economy remains dominated by the currency they dictate and can control. Consider groceries, utility bills, mortgage payments, payroll, petrol, hospital bills, investments in stocks and bonds, etc all still largely being done in dollars while bitcoin is used for Craigslist transactions and buying weed over TOR. Yes, I'd call that a win for .gov if the goal is for bitcoin to supplant the dollar.
Brutus I

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:03:24 PM

Anyway I'm not making predictions on how everything will play out because I don't know. It is going to be interesting though. My only point was that the two greatest powers of government are the power to tax and the power to counterfeit. Those in power are not going to see either of those undermined without a fight. Shut down the internet? Nope, I don't see that. There are other options though that I think will at least be tried. Will be interesting to see how the market responds. It is a struggle that is as old as mankind.
StephenJH

No more Rekt and Bust

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:04:33 PM

Point taken.

.FortuneJack.
  ▄█▄        █           ▄
 █▄██████▌▀▄▄███▀▄▄▄▀▀██
  ▄▀████ █▄██▄██▄▄▄▄▀██
   ▀▀▄▀███▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀█████▀▄
     ████▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▄█
    ▐▌▄█████▀   ▄▄▄█▄▄  ███
     ▀█▄▀█▀▀▄  ████▀███▄▀
       ▐▌▄ ▄█▄█▀██▌ ▀▄
       █▄████▀▀    ▄▄▄█▄
        ▀▄▄▀▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
           ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ BY
HACKSAW
G  A  M  I  N  G
          ▄▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▀▀██▄▄█▄▄
   ▄█▀████████▄▀▀██▄
▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄█████▐███▄
▀██▄▀█▀▀▀▀███▀▀▐▌
█▄██▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▄██▐▌
▐▀▀▄▀▀▀▀  ▀  ▀█▀████▀
 ▀█▀  ▐▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄▀██▄
 █  ▄██████████▄  ▄█▄
▐▌▀▀█████████████████
▐▌ ▐  ▀▌   ▀  ▀██▀▄█
 ▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄▄▀▀
   ▀▀▄▄█▀▀█▄▄▄▄█▀▀
|
....OVER $2,000,000!....
ALREADY GIVEN AWAY
IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS
....PLAY NOW....
GimpyPrime (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:07:04 PM

I would consider that a win for the powers that be if bitcoin were restricted to being a black market currency and private cash trade. It would mean the vast majority of the economy remains dominated by the currency they dictate and can control. Consider groceries, utility bills, mortgage payments, payroll, petrol, hospital bills, investments in stocks and bonds, etc all still largely being done in dollars while bitcoin is used for Craigslist transactions and buying weed over TOR. Yes, I'd call that a win for .gov if the goal is for bitcoin to supplant the dollar.

We also need to keep in mind that Bitcoin exchanges occur at an international level. So the USA makes it a black market currency, then they need every other country on board. Probably starting with Canada and the UK.

If a single country anywhere decided to adopt Bitcoin as their nations currency that means the USA would need to sanction that country to prevent legal trades from occuring. A sanction is an act of war and currently I can only think of 3 countries who they could do that to... Cuba, Iran and North Korea. In short that basically means Bitcoin needs some countries to sponsor it.

The USA can try all it wants to regulate purchases internally if it goes that far, but they can't shutdown international trade without collapsing themselves.
StephenJH

No more Rekt and Bust

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:18:42 PM

US could always start mining with some 'under the mountain' gear.

.FortuneJack.
  ▄█▄        █           ▄
 █▄██████▌▀▄▄███▀▄▄▄▀▀██
  ▄▀████ █▄██▄██▄▄▄▄▀██
   ▀▀▄▀███▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀█████▀▄
     ████▄▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▄█
    ▐▌▄█████▀   ▄▄▄█▄▄  ███
     ▀█▄▀█▀▀▄  ████▀███▄▀
       ▐▌▄ ▄█▄█▀██▌ ▀▄
       █▄████▀▀    ▄▄▄█▄
        ▀▄▄▀▄▄▄▀▀▀██▄▄
           ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀
|
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ BY
HACKSAW
G  A  M  I  N  G
          ▄▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▀▀██▄▄█▄▄
   ▄█▀████████▄▀▀██▄
▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄█████▐███▄
▀██▄▀█▀▀▀▀███▀▀▐▌
█▄██▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▄██▐▌
▐▀▀▄▀▀▀▀  ▀  ▀█▀████▀
 ▀█▀  ▐▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀ ▄▀██▄
 █  ▄██████████▄  ▄█▄
▐▌▀▀█████████████████
▐▌ ▐  ▀▌   ▀  ▀██▀▄█
 ▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄▄▀▀
   ▀▀▄▄█▀▀█▄▄▄▄█▀▀
|
....OVER $2,000,000!....
ALREADY GIVEN AWAY
IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS
....PLAY NOW....
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:06:32 PM

US could always start mining with some 'under the mountain' gear.

I've suggested this as well, better to use prison labor.  Also municipalities and gov's have free electricity and tech money (paid for by taxes and bonds and pension stealing) which will defeat common miners I guess.

China could do it even easier, since their employees cost nothing, and they are closer to Taiwan (chips)

What if they have a mining pool of some 1^16 terahashes per second?  Something outrageous?  I suppose once this happens, the blockchain will have correct data as to who and where is operating this 'killer mining force'?

Hmmm, another note here, since it seems that US Marshalls/Homesec/Treasury and local city cops/SWAT are going to eventually combine with the US military and arrest all county sheriffs and deputies in the US (at least the non-gun-grabbing sheriffs that is), maybe some counties will want to start paying their sheriffs and deputies in bitcoin?  Probably society will break down once the sheriffs feel pushed, and they might have to find other ways to be funded if the Treasury shuts down their payment avenues.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: