Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.15 BTC Bounty] 3 Simple Linuxcoin Questions  (Read 3069 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:52:30 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 03:59:26 AM by gigabytecoin

How do I:

a) install the very latest version of phoenix miner to my persistent linuxcoin usb flash drive?

b) install (and switch between) sdk 2.1 (since it is 2.4 by default and poclbm favors 2.1) to my persistent linuxcoin usb flash drive?

c) pop open all 6 of my poclbm or phoenix command line miners on persistent linuxcoin startup? It is such a pain to open up 6 miners using the start_mining script...

Please leave your Bitcoin address in your answer post.

The first person to leave a competent answer that is linux-noob-friendly for any question will receive 0.05 BTC sent to their Bitcoin address. Answer all 3 and you get 0.15 BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:54:58 AM

I do not think you can have both 2.1 and 2.4 together on the same machine since the runtimes would conflict, but I might be wrong.

Why not just roll your own version?

Download LiveUSB http://www.pendrivelinux.com/liveusb-install-live-usb-creator/
Be sure to select the Persistence option.

Grab the image for whatever version of linux you want, then download SDK 2.1 and Phoenix.

http://developer.amd.com/membership/licenseagreement.aspx?id=0e3aeb6e-5ef7-4104-a98a-cf719e3b9bd5&ReferUrl=http%3a%2f%2fdeveloper.amd.com%2fsdks%2fAMDAPPSDK%2fdownloads%2fpages%2fAMDAPPSDKDownloadArchive.aspx

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 03:59:05 AM

I do not think you can have both 2.1 and 2.4 together on the same machine since the runtimes would conflict, but I might be wrong.

Why not just roll your own version?

Download LiveUSB http://www.pendrivelinux.com/liveusb-install-live-usb-creator/
Be sure to select the Persistence option.

Grab the image for whatever version of linux you want, then download SDK 2.1 and Phoenix.

http://developer.amd.com/membership/licenseagreement.aspx?id=0e3aeb6e-5ef7-4104-a98a-cf719e3b9bd5&ReferUrl=http%3a%2f%2fdeveloper.amd.com%2fsdks%2fAMDAPPSDK%2fdownloads%2fpages%2fAMDAPPSDKDownloadArchive.aspx

I have been looking into that yes, but was hoping for a quick fix (remove 2.4 and install 2.1) to speed me along.

I will end up doing so eventually.

Thanks for the suggetsion!
supa
Copper Member

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:37:21 AM

How do I:

a) install the very latest version of phoenix miner to my persistent linuxcoin usb flash drive?

b) install (and switch between) sdk 2.1 (since it is 2.4 by default and poclbm favors 2.1) to my persistent linuxcoin usb flash drive?

c) pop open all 6 of my poclbm or phoenix command line miners on persistent linuxcoin startup? It is such a pain to open up 6 miners using the start_mining script...

The first person to leave a competent answer that is linux-noob-friendly for any question will receive 0.05 BTC sent to their Bitcoin address. Answer all 3 and you get 0.15 BTC.

Never used linuxcoin, so here's some generic instructions -

a) wget http://svn3.xp-dev.com/svn/phoenix-miner/files/phoenix-1.48.zip
b) Download the SDK, extract to /opt/

Export the following for 2.4 -

AMDAPPSDKROOT=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32
AMDAPPSDKSAMPLESROOT=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32/lib/x86:

sudo ldconfig

There are similar settings for 2.1 - replace AMD with ATI and point to the correct path.

c)

for i in {1..5}
do
   start_miner.sh $i
done
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 05:32:36 AM

b) I didn't know this about poclbm. I run 6990 (needs sdk 2.4) on LinuxCoin and get better results on poclbm than Diablominer (close second) or phoenix (less close third). Are you sure poclbm prefers 2.1?

c) I'm way from LC atm but if you post this in the LinuxCoin thread someone will tell you the correct /etc file to put your startups in. I can write you a quick Bash script to go in the correct file, although if you've had any CLI experience in setting up LinuxCoin you might be able to do it yourself.

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted, but I hope it helps.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:00:51 AM

How do I:

Never used linuxcoin, so here's some generic instructions -

a) wget http://svn3.xp-dev.com/svn/phoenix-miner/files/phoenix-1.48.zip
b) Download the SDK, extract to /opt/

Export the following for 2.4 -

AMDAPPSDKROOT=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32
AMDAPPSDKSAMPLESROOT=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32/lib/x86:

sudo ldconfig

There are similar settings for 2.1 - replace AMD with ATI and point to the correct path.

c)

for i in {1..5}
do
   start_miner.sh $i
done

Looks pretty good... so phoenix does not require any sort of "install" process? Just download and run?

Can you show me answer b) for sdk 2.1??? That is what I am after because apparantly poclbm is better at reconnecting to downed pools than phoenix.

Thanks!
supa
Copper Member

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:14:45 AM

Ya, phoenix goes wonky when the pool connectivity gets weird, but it's been a lot faster for me than poclbm.  I switched to 2.4+phoenix a while ago.  I don't have the stale share problem other people complain about.  Here are some recent stats from my local miner:

[394.30 Mhash/sec] [1537 Accepted] [41 Rejected] [RPC (+LP)]

2% is either equal to or lower than what I had with poclbm last I checked.

Anyway, so I think this is what you need for v2.1 x32:

export AMDAPPSDKROOT=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/
export AMDAPPSDKSAMPLESROOT=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/lib/x86:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ldconfig

Also, for C), I forgot to include the #!/bin/bash line... so I hope you see that is supposed to be a shell script that launches start_miner.sh with a 1, then 2, then 3, etc.  I was under the impression that LinuxCoin's start_miner.sh had a numeric parameter that started miner 1, miner 2, etc.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 06:32:12 AM

Code:
Also, for C), I forgot to include the #!/bin/bash line... so I hope you see that is supposed to be a shell script that launches start_miner.sh with a 1, then 2, then 3, etc.  I was under the impression that LinuxCoin's start_miner.sh had a numeric parameter that started miner 1, miner 2, etc.

The start_miner script in LinuxCoin is sort of an interactive gui, lets you enter flags and parms without going CLI. I think OP means a startup script that just switches everything on as the computer turns on, and I've forgotten which /etc file in LinuxCoin you need to add it to.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
supa
Copper Member

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:35:17 PM

Code:

The start_miner script in LinuxCoin is sort of an interactive gui, lets you enter flags and parms without going CLI. I think OP means a startup script that just switches everything on as the computer turns on, and I've forgotten which /etc file in LinuxCoin you need to add it to.

I dunno where I saw it, but something had a miner script that took an arg that it passed to aticonfig -i$1 and poclbm -d $1.

I thought it was LinuxCoin.  Clearly, I was mistaken.  Oops. Smiley
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:17:40 PM

Code:

I dunno where I saw it, but something had a miner script that took an arg that it passed to aticonfig -i$1 and poclbm -d $1.

I thought it was LinuxCoin.  Clearly, I was mistaken.  Oops. Smiley

Could I not simply use your shell script to open up individual ./poclbm.py instances in separate terminals?

That is my ultimate goal... to open up the computer and have 6 terminals pop up and start mining right away.
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:05:18 AM

Ya, phoenix goes wonky when the pool connectivity gets weird, but it's been a lot faster for me than poclbm.  I switched to 2.4+phoenix a while ago.  I don't have the stale share problem other people complain about.  Here are some recent stats from my local miner:

[394.30 Mhash/sec] [1537 Accepted] [41 Rejected] [RPC (+LP)]

2% is either equal to or lower than what I had with poclbm last I checked.

Anyway, so I think this is what you need for v2.1 x32:

export AMDAPPSDKROOT=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/
export AMDAPPSDKSAMPLESROOT=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx32/lib/x86:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ldconfig

Ok well I THINK I have sdk 2.1 installed on all of my mining rigs now.. so 0.05 BTC coming your way supa if you will post your btc address.

I entered all of that code (changed it for 64 bit version where needed) and received no errors. And poclbm was able to run properly, albeit a few mhash/s slower than poclbm but that is expected.

How can I be sure I am running 2.1 instead of 2.4? And how can I be sure that 2.1 is running when the compute re-starts?

Thanks for all the help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: