Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:33:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell if an ASIC is faulty  (Read 618 times)
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2618
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2016, 10:11:09 PM

I am having issues with a low end ASIC that was shipping to me with virtually no packing.  I was hoping that this thread wouldn't be limited to this particular ASIC (A gridseed Orb) but be a good way to tell in general if any ASIC might be faulty.  I realize there will be differences.   I am using my Windows machine to run several programs at once, one being cgminer for this device.  I have a duplicate item sent by the same person with a lot of packing after I suggested he should because of the possibility of solder shock damage.  I get the following errors: the cgminer occasionally quits on me, but more often I see the ASIC read back it's name and then options/specs all in one line across the screen, in the same basic rhythm as is I was getting Accepted lines....ocassionally seeing also the "stratum connection to pool 0 interrupted" message.  The other one stays connected the whole time, to the same pool as the first one, and give much problem.  What goes?  He offered me to send me another as he has a few, but it occasionally stays connected. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 11:31:28 AM

I am having issues with a low end ASIC that was shipping to me with virtually no packing.  I was hoping that this thread wouldn't be limited to this particular ASIC (A gridseed Orb) but be a good way to tell in general if any ASIC might be faulty.  I realize there will be differences.   I am using my Windows machine to run several programs at once, one being cgminer for this device.  I have a duplicate item sent by the same person with a lot of packing after I suggested he should because of the possibility of solder shock damage.  I get the following errors: the cgminer occasionally quits on me, but more often I see the ASIC read back it's name and then options/specs all in one line across the screen, in the same basic rhythm as is I was getting Accepted lines....ocassionally seeing also the "stratum connection to pool 0 interrupted" message.  The other one stays connected the whole time, to the same pool as the first one, and give much problem.  What goes?  He offered me to send me another as he has a few, but it occasionally stays connected. 
I am wondering if your devices are getting enough power.

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2618
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2016, 03:56:56 PM

I am having issues with a low end ASIC that was shipping to me with virtually no packing.  I was hoping that this thread wouldn't be limited to this particular ASIC (A gridseed Orb) but be a good way to tell in general if any ASIC might be faulty.  I realize there will be differences.   I am using my Windows machine to run several programs at once, one being cgminer for this device.  I have a duplicate item sent by the same person with a lot of packing after I suggested he should because of the possibility of solder shock damage.  I get the following errors: the cgminer occasionally quits on me, but more often I see the ASIC read back it's name and then options/specs all in one line across the screen, in the same basic rhythm as is I was getting Accepted lines....ocassionally seeing also the "stratum connection to pool 0 interrupted" message.  The other one stays connected the whole time, to the same pool as the first one, and give much problem.  What goes?  He offered me to send me another as he has a few, but it occasionally stays connected.  
I am wondering if your devices are getting enough power.

I think it was mostly incompatibility with another piece of mining software, a Pascalcoin CPU miner.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: