Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:16:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scarcity has been achieved  (Read 1686 times)
rocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:44:13 PM

There are practically no BTC offers above $110.

Now if this was fiat FED funny money, the FED would increase the amount of funny money to create "stability" (and give it to bankers and polititins in the process). And if this was gold the FED would "lend" it out in mass quantities (effectively creating fractional gold out of thin air)

But since the supply of BTC is FIXED, I guess we will finally get to see what happens when an item is in high demand, but supply is forced to behave by well defined rules....
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Newscastix

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:48:34 PM

$ ∞/BTC   Shocked

This is gonna be interesting to watch...
Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:53:19 PM

The Bitcoin Singularity is near.
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:59:01 PM

halfpasthuman.com predicted it
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:19:35 PM

not to worry sellers will come...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:32:59 PM

This is like a black hole, suck in everything valueable. If anyone ever sold, they will seldom have a chance to buy it back at the same or lower price, due to extremely demand and supply imbalance

This is the only thing that have a clearly defined fixed supply on the planet, and it is reachable for everyone in matter of seconds, very dangerous

tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:30:00 PM

At my current supply of btc (small) I'm personally waiting to sell a bunch if it ever hits $10k ea.  I have a mortgage to pay off.   If, however, it looks like it'll easily climb through $10k, I'll put in a buy at $10k once it surpasses it, hoping to catch it on the decline, but otherwise will see where it goes.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 11:33:15 PM

There are practically no BTC offers above $110.

Now if this was fiat FED funny money, the FED would increase the amount of funny money to create "stability" (and give it to bankers and polititins in the process). And if this was gold the FED would "lend" it out in mass quantities (effectively creating fractional gold out of thin air)

But since the supply of BTC is FIXED, I guess we will finally get to see what happens when an item is in high demand, but supply is forced to behave by well defined rules....

Well said. I think the result is that the price goes to the moon!!!
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:34:04 PM

Thank the apparent benevolence of a handful of early adopters.  As soon as things turn, the order book will look completely different, and we could easily see more than 200k BTCs pile up on the sell side as the price comes crashing down.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
icellan

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:35:14 PM

At my current supply of btc (small) I'm personally waiting to sell a bunch if it ever hits $10k ea.  I have a mortgage to pay off.   If, however, it looks like it'll easily climb through $10k, I'll put in a buy at $10k once it surpasses it, hoping to catch it on the decline, but otherwise will see where it goes.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but missed the boat when BTC was at euro 35. My bank money transfer didn't work :-(  eventually bought at 47.

A few days ago I tried again, wanting to buy some more BTC. Price was at euro 74, but bank failed me again. They blocked my account. Eventually managed to buy at euro 85.

So, lost a few euro's due to bank failings, shouldn't complain, others lost a lot more. Hope to recoupe with BTC's skyrocketing.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:44:54 PM

Thank the apparent benevolence of a handful of early adopters.  As soon as things turn, the order book will look completely different, and we could easily see more than 200k BTCs pile up on the sell side as the price comes crashing down.

I have a feeling this type of plan (the selling now part) could go terribly wrong for the dumpers. What percent of money is actually shown in those buy orders? 200k btc at $100 is $20 million. Is it unreasonable that only 1/3 of the USD on gox is being shown? There are simply so many more dollars with nowhere good to go compared to number of bitcoins for sale. I also suspect that millions of the early coins are gone but we will always be left with that uncertainty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: