Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:47:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: my new service books-kabuki  (Read 1272 times)
books_kabuki (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2010, 10:58:22 PM

Hey guys!

I've just launched a new service called books-kabuki:
http://5wmhmrueflqo4yus.onion
(this is an address in the tor network)

As you can guess from the title, my service concerns books. It is means for storing lists of books that you read, are reading, or are going to read. You can arrange marks for books. Also, you can choose whether your readlist will be public or not.
In short, my service is something remotely resembles the famous librarything.

The service is still experimental, so I hope to test and improve it. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Currently, the service is free, although donations are welcome. Smiley
I am thinking of switching to a paid scheme (of course, using bitcoins) after maybe some improvements.

So, what do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 01:53:19 AM

Books are for everyone and it should stay like that making it a pay service in this case I think will discourage users.
It would be better to have VIP accounts or something along the lines.

Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 02:05:16 AM

It sounds like Google Books. You can store your books on different "shelves" like "To read" "reading" "have read" and "favorites". I don't think I would pay for a service like that when they are plentiful all over the net.

books_kabuki (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 06:46:04 AM

Books are for everyone and it should stay like that making it a pay service in this case I think will discourage users.
It would be better to have VIP accounts or something along the lines.
Yes, that's exactly what I am going to do.

It sounds like Google Books. You can store your books on different "shelves" like "To read" "reading" "have read" and "favorites". I don't think I would pay for a service like that when they are plentiful all over the net.
Well, not quite like Google Books, but has something in common, yes. As far as I understand, Google Books primarily concerns with providing content of books or at least extracts from content. You indeed can store books on different shelves, but as far as I grasp, you can choose the books only from existing set, you can't add your own book to Google Books (or I am not right?).

My service is going to develop more toward the direction of librarything or IMDb (the last is for movies, not books, but the concept is the point). Both these services have free ordinary accounts and also paid VIP accounts with some additional content/functionality. And that's axactly what I am going to do with my service, so the basic functionality would be free. So, you wouldn't need to pay for something what is all over the internet. Anyway, at the moment my service is completely free for everyone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: