Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:48:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Atlas Shrugged  (Read 3146 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 06:46:53 PM

Atlas Shrugged is a good story, but It was written by a Russian, which means that it's way longer than it needs to be to get the point across. Lots of preaching and monologue.

Maybe the only goal wasn't to get a point across, but to provide a novel for people to read? Novels wouldn't exist if their only goal was to get a point across. Power Point presentations can do that.

If all of Atlas Shrugged's would be fans think it was too long, then it must have been boring. If it was boring, then perhaps it just wasn't enjoyable. If it wasn't enjoyable, then I suppose all one was looking for was to have someone make a point. If you just wish to be the recipient of a point, look elsewhere.

I certainly wasn't bored at any point during the novel. Science fiction (and this definitely qualifies) is the fiction of ideas. The medium itself exists to get ideas across whilst entertaining. She (like you, at times) used excess verbiage. This is neither good, nor bad. It simply is. Some people may not like her writing style, some enjoy it. I enjoyed the story, but am not a very big fan of her writing style.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 06:49:45 PM

Welcome back Atlas! Did they finally let you out of the mental institution, or did you escape?
What ever happened to the hunting Atlas thread?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:52:22 PM

Ayn Rand had some great ideas, but wasn't perfect. Unfortunately nobody around her was allowed to point that out because she exiled anyone who expressed the slightest disagreement with her from her inner circle.

Atlas Shrugged could have been a lot better if she would have allowed a competent editor to give her some constructive criticism.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 06:54:21 PM

Atlas Shrugged could have been a lot better if she would have allowed a competent editor to give her some constructive criticism.

This.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 07:11:08 PM

I read it a few years ago - its about 1000 pages too long! Wink

So it was a bad book? I never read it myself, nor do I have any interest to.

As Roger Ebert said, no good movie is too long, and no bad movie is too short.

Therefore, if you thought it was too long, then it was a bad book. Fiction is to enjoy. If you think the book was too long, then you didn't enjoy it, clearly. Which begs the question, why did you bother finishing it? Life is short. Spend it on books you might enjoy.

I despise the idiot movie critics (or book critics) who claim a movie or book needed editing - i.e needed to be trimmed, cut, etc. Such individuals are not writers or filmmakers. What they mean to say, is not that the movie or book was too long, but that it was simply bad and unenjoyable.

For if you were enjoying a book or movie, why would you not want it to continue?

Your response shows why you may be intelligent, but are not educated! Wink

Reading a book all the way through is how books are meant to be read. I guess the same is true for movies. If you stop half way through, you are disrespecting the author who put a lot of effort into the work for my enjoyment. Plus, as has been pointed out, you can only review a work once you have it all.  I enjoyed the book, I was glad I read it all, but in my opinion, I think I would have been able to rewrite the book, keep the story complete and still make it enjoyable for the reader in about 300 pages!

For anyone interested in what its all about, its basically an explanation of the free market through the story of a world becoming too regulated over time, through the eyes of regulators, inventors and business people.  Its summarized as what would happen if all the inventors disappeared from society?

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:10:43 AM

I've heard extraordinarily bad things about this book; anyone care to explain what it's about in a couple of sentences?

Think for yourself. Be yourself.

That sounds like a good premise for a book.  So that only leaves the question: why's it getting so much hate?

For the same reason that many people seem to hate Bitcoin, I guess.
Truer words have never been spoken.

I challenge you that:
Truisms are true.

Now truer words have never been spoken.
Gordonium (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 02:31:35 PM

Not exactly from Atlas Shrugged, but from Ayn Rand nevertheless. When I read/listen this speech of Howard Roark I think that it applies very well for us Bitcoiners. We are the ones who move the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7oZ9yWqO4
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:15:10 PM

Has anyone else noticed how much we are living now in a world of Atlas Shrugged? Satoshi Nakamato is John Galt and Bitcoin is Galt's Gulch. And the political environment in novel is almost identical to what's happening right now around the world.

Bitcoins are also pretty similar with Rearden Metal. We early adopters are like Dagny Taggart when she used Rearden Metal even when the whole world was against it.

Whatever we are, it's we who move the world and it’s we who’ll pull it through.
Certainly. Whenever I describe Bitcoins to someone who doesn't know anything about them I throw in an Atlas Shrugged reference somewhere. Glad other people see it the same way. And if you haven't read Atlas Shrugged...read it! or at least a summary ; )
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:34:40 PM

Has anyone else noticed how much we are living now in a world of Atlas Shrugged? Satoshi Nakamato is John Galt and Bitcoin is Galt's Gulch. And the political environment in novel is almost identical to what's happening right now around the world.

Bitcoins are also pretty similar with Rearden Metal. We early adopters are like Dagny Taggart when she used Rearden Metal even when the whole world was against it.

Whatever we are, it's we who move the world and it’s we who’ll pull it through.
Certainly. Whenever I describe Bitcoins to someone who doesn't know anything about them I throw in an Atlas Shrugged reference somewhere. Glad other people see it the same way. And if you haven't read Atlas Shrugged...read it! or at least a summary ; )
I'd recommend the summary first. You know, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:56:25 PM

I'd recommend the summary first. You know, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

A lot of time is not enough. We drove from Maryland to Florida and back, 900miles and 16 hours one way, while listening to Atlas Shrugged as audio book. Those 32 hours were not enough to finish it.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 10:57:45 PM

So is it a case of "I have a lot to say" or is it a case of "I have a lot of fluff" Tongue

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 10:58:59 PM

So is it a case of "I have a lot to say" or is it a case of "I have a lot of fluff" Tongue
"I have a lot to say, and I'm going to say it over and over again to make sure you get it."

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:04:39 PM

"I have a lot to say, and I'm going to say it over and over again to make sure you get it."

Yeah, that. Or even
"I have a lot to say, and this story will cover a lot of twists and turns and things and concepts, and and OH HAI HERE'S A 100 PAGE SUMMARY OF IT ALL JUST SO YOU REMEMBER WHAT I TALKED ABOUT THE LAST 800 PAGES!!!"
Followed by, "Ending? Who gives a shit."
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:07:23 PM

Yeah, that. Or even
"I have a lot to say, and this story will cover a lot of twists and turns and things and concepts, and and OH HAI HERE'S A 100 PAGE SUMMARY OF IT ALL JUST SO YOU REMEMBER WHAT I TALKED ABOUT THE LAST 800 PAGES!!!"

An in-book summary?  Lawdy Grin

Is there a summary of the summary?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:11:52 PM

Yeah, that. Or even

An in-book summary?  Lawdy Grin

Is there a summary of the summary?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 11:14:10 PM

No, as in an unnecessary 50+ page chapter that is quite literally a monologue speech given by John Galt about all the concepts and ideas that were drilled into your head already by the actual story from the previous 800 pages. It was quite unnecessary (unless that was supposed to be the "cheat" cliff notes for those who were required to read it in school, as in, "Hey man, just read from page 800. That's all you need to know for the test.")
vladxp300

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2015, 01:34:02 PM

Has anyone watched the Atlas Shrugged trilogy that was based on the book? I have realized that the Bitcoin logo appeared in the Part 3 of Atlas Shrugged movie at 1:10:00 during the scene of the people's revolution against the government (Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2t6tkh/bitcoin_logo_appeared_in_atlas_shrugged_movie/). Very interesting stuff happening. And we the early adapters of bitcoin are the scientists, inventors, dreamers, etc. who John Galt in the story envisions to keep our society running. So, this is what we should ask now: "Who Is Satoshi Nakamoto?"
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 03:39:38 PM

I've heard extraordinarily bad things about this book; anyone care to explain what it's about in a couple of sentences?

Think for yourself. Be yourself.

That sounds like a good premise for a book.  So that only leaves the question: why's it getting so much hate?

For the same reason that many people seem to hate Bitcoin, I guess.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Here's what it is about... from the movie Easy Rider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyaUtnWr8Gw.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 08:17:55 PM

http://www.echan.jp/RainbowJag/lfcity.htm

And the four travelers all decided to put their money where their mouths were by becoming founding grantors of  Laissez Faire City and two of them leapt off a bridge just to seal it in style. As I hung there dangling above the river still 100 feet below I reflected that an existing founder had jumped FIRST. Now how many businesses have that kind of chutzpah? Look at what they have to offer and decide for yourself....

In case you're wondering who the other two founders were, Sonny Vleisides of BFL and his Daddy-O, James Ray Houston, the Silver King of Nevada.

http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=5158

The scheme, advertised in The Economist, is to lease 100 square mile
of territory and build Laissez Faire City.  If Tony Blair takes over
Britain, the nation's lost Thatcherites will be able to flee to a place
dedicated to the open market and free of all government for 50 years.
        "It is an amazing adventure, aimed at freeing the potential of the
world's entrepreneurs from the vice of collectivism," said Sonny Vleisides,
a computing consultant who is among the founders. "If you want to dig a well
on your property and provide yourself with water, then you dig a well.
There's nobody to tell you your well is too deep, too wide, or interferes
with the water table."
        The project's Costa Rica-based trustees hope to begin building
within three years.  Last week the post brought an enthusiasic response from
Britain:  business people, students, pensioners, a trainee surgeon and a
barrister were among those who could see their future in a libertarian
Utopia without taxes, customs regulations or red tape.  The aim is to
emulate Hong Kong, an area of barren rocks when China granted a lease to a
British consortium in 1898.

http://seasteading.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/lfc_economist_ad.jpg

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 09:55:22 PM

Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead was made into a Gary Cooper movie in 1949.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83deqmHuAU

http://putlocker.is/watch-the-fountainhead-online-free-putlocker.html

http://www.hulu.com/watch/354342

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: