Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:21:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Instawallet/Bitcoin-Central Security Breach  (Read 85265 times)
hous

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:10:33 PM

I rang this number and he answered  +33.668242163

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:11:35 PM

For the first 90 days we will accept claims for individual Instawallets. Your wallet's URL and key will be used to pre-populate a form to file the claim.

After 90 days, if no other claim has been received for the same url, your Instawallet balance under 50 BTC will be refunded. If several claims have been filed for the same url, we will process those claims on a case by case basis, under the presumption that the claim we received first belongs to the legitimate balance holder.

Claims for wallets that hold a balance greater than 50 BTC will be processed on a case by case and best efforts basis.

well, this means losses.  Angry

no information how much coins the hacker(s) were able to take.
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:11:59 PM

They are hacked and lost bitcoin!!They will close this this business and go the "claim" process!!

Source?
the website now updated with the notice.
Joost

Activity: 68

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:13:08 PM

They are hacked and lost bitcoin!!They will close this this business and go the "claim" process!!

Source?

I'm not seeing it. If you're trolling, this is not a good time. If you're not, do post a screenshot.
psilos

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:14:37 PM

I rang this number and he answered  +33.668242163

and?Huh did you talk to anyone??

For the first 90 days we will accept claims for individual Instawallets. Your wallet's URL and key will be used to pre-populate a form to file the claim.

After 90 days, if no other claim has been received for the same url, your Instawallet balance under 50 BTC will be refunded. If several claims have been filed for the same url, we will process those claims on a case by case basis, under the presumption that the claim we received first belongs to the legitimate balance holder.

Claims for wallets that hold a balance greater than 50 BTC will be processed on a case by case and best efforts basis.

well, this means losses.  Angry

no information how much coins the hacker(s) were able to take.

Where did you quote this message from? Are there any information about bitcoin-central Huh?
twolifeinexile

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:14:38 PM

Source?

I'm not seeing it. If you're trolling, this is not a good time. If you're not, do post a screenshot.
INSTAWALLET SERVICE NOTICE

The Instawallet service is suspended indefinitely until we are able to develop an alternative architecture.

Our database was fraudulently accessed, due to the very nature of Instawallet it is impossible to reopen the service as-is.

In the next few days we are going to open the claim process for Instawallet balance holders to claim the funds they had stored before the service interruption.

Important information on claims submission:

1.For the first 90 days we will accept claims for individual Instawallets. Your wallet's URL and key will be used to pre-populate a form to file the claim.
2.After 90 days, if no other claim has been received for the same url, your Instawallet balance under 50 BTC will be refunded. If several claims have been filed for the same url, we will process those claims on a case by case basis, under the presumption that the claim we received first belongs to the legitimate balance holder.
3.Claims for wallets that hold a balance greater than 50 BTC will be processed on a case by case and best efforts basis.

From http://notice.instawallet.org/
Kotcha

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:14:57 PM

Good news, looks like we can claim our funds back... looks like the process is gonna take 90 days though, no other option than to hold  Cool

The Instawallet service is suspended indefinitely until we are able to develop an alternative architecture.

Our database was fraudulently accessed, due to the very nature of Instawallet it is impossible to reopen the service as-is.

In the next few days we are going to open the claim process for Instawallet balance holders to claim the funds they had stored before the service interruption.

twolifeinexile

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:18:23 PM

Good news, looks like we can claim our funds back... looks like the process is gonna take 90 days though, no other option than to hold  Cool

To be honest, I don't feel good at all, they didn't say will refund 50BTC or larger fully, (which means they lose money, truely hacked). Secondly, due to the nature of Instawallet, apparently the hacker could claim the money as well if they got access to the database of the URL. Thirdly,that is 90 Days and you know those "delay" tatics a lot of scammers use, first 90 days, then another 90 days, then partial refund, then....
Not saying they are, but this is not good news at all.
psilos

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:19:54 PM

still no update for bitcoin-central
hous

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:24:35 PM

How much did davout pay for instawallet?
steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:25:15 PM

Well an update at last

Here is my issue

Lets assume the worst that its an inside job. Maybe the team do not have access to the individual urls.

By making us give them to them we are effectively handing over our bitcoins.

By making it a first come first serves it makes you want to give it to them straight away. Just saying.

What do you think?
twolifeinexile

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:26:47 PM

Well an update at last

Here is my issue

Lets assume the worst that its an inside job. Maybe the team do not have access to the individual urls.

By making it a first come first serves it makes you want to give it to them straight away. Just saying.

What do you think?
But to claim, you almost have to present that to prove ownership, because that is the only evidence.
Joost

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:28:31 PM

They obviously have access to the individual urls - how else could they serve you a web page on those? By sending your bitcoins to them in the first place you handed them over. They have the private keys. Well, they did at least.

Still no update with regards to Bitcoin Central though. That's what I'm really worried about. That volume was twice as large as well.
twolifeinexile

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:29:34 PM

Well an update at last

Here is my issue

What do you think?
You have bigger than 50? Otherwise, I think you should be able to get back fully, given their current tone.
HighInBC

Activity: 85

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:38:11 PM

My lord. I was very close to being effected by this. Thankfully my fund went out prior to the issue.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:40:28 PM

Hope you learnt an important lesson: NEVER TRUST ONLINE WALLETS WITH MORE THAN POCKET MONEY.

And remember that what's pocket money today, can be retirement money tomorrow Wink

Kotcha

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:43:50 PM

To be honest, I don't feel good at all, they didn't say will refund 50BTC or larger fully, (which means they lose money, truely hacked). Secondly, due to the nature of Instawallet, apparently the hacker could claim the money as well if they got access to the database of the URL. Thirdly,that is 90 Days and you know those "delay" tatics a lot of scammers use, first 90 days, then another 90 days, then partial refund, then....
Not saying they are, but this is not good news at all.

Yeah I get what your saying, I think if your funds went to cold storage though you must be safe? Maybe not good news, but at least it's something... looks alot brighter than it did yesterday anyway
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 5996

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:10:40 PM

Update for Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia (only showing on paytunia.com, seems they are a bit confused with the many URLs they have):

[Apr-03 7:00PM CET]

We are still working on bringing the service back up: we expect to resume operations within the next 48 hours.

A lot of people have asked about the state of orders currently pending. Due to the recent and important price fluctuations we will cancel some outstanding orders before reopening. For example if the average price stays above 100 EUR/BTC we will cancel all asks below 110 EUR/BTC. No trades will be reversed.

We also don't want to take anyone by surprise and as such will give a 24h notice before trades start to get executed again.

During these 24 hours you will be able to place and cancel orders. When the trading engine gets restarted they will be executed in the order they were placed.

Your account balances (EUR, USD, GBP and BTC) were not affected by the service interruption.

The deposits received while the service was interrupted will be added to your balance during the 24h notice time.

----

Doesn't look that bad for this services, defitively the problem was with Instawallet. Should we split the threads because there are different problems?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Joost

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:15:06 PM

Update for Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia (only showing on paytunia.com, seems they are a bit confused with the many URLs they have):

Oddly enough, Bitcoin-Central is down at the moment. Not showing anything.
HATA28

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:31:06 PM

Oddly enough, Bitcoin-Central is down at the moment. Not showing anything.
I guess you are not using firefox.

The problem with bitcoin-central and paytunia is this:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to bitcoin-central.net.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: