Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:42:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Offering PayPal for Bitcoin? You're likely to be labeled a scammer - Read why  (Read 28794 times)
Boelens

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:34:45 PM

This is really annoying as my only ways of payment are either Paypal,Creditcard or bank transfer(however outside the Netherlands this is quite expensive with fees), or meeting someone however he'd need to be close to Leeuwarden. Is it safe to offer payment in things such as a paysafecard? Seeing as you buy these retail, send the code, they can use it, and you get BTC.

On the other hand, does anyone know of any places that sells BTC and accepts paypal?
I see a logo on BTC-E, that i can adds fund by paypal, but doesn't seem to be working atm.

Try on Virwox.com

Is this site safe? Basically I just buy the amount in Linden dollars (SL currency), and trade those on that site for bitcoins?

Yes and yes to both of your questions. Please note you can only buy whole bitcoins, btw, don't freak out if they leave you withdrawal request pending for 48h max, is their safeguard against paypal troublemakers.

Oh, that sucks. I don't have the money for a whole BTC :/.

Try it out and report back, because this was the rule a year ago. I didn't even note how the time passed by  Smiley

Will check this out!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:58:24 PM

As a general rule of thumb never EVER deal with anybody with a forum account less than 6 months old.  You WILL get scammed eventually... it's not even a matter of "if".

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:05:58 PM

You WILL get scammed eventually... it's not even a matter of "if".

That's a little harsh, if you play it safe you won't.  I haven't been scammed.
pivavar

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

in vino veritas

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:09:05 PM

Anyone know if there is a time limit PayPal user can attempt to reverse a transaction?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game  (https://coinroll.it/?r=6)█▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=191176.0) • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=223474.0)
goldway90

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:25:37 PM

informative stuff i didn't know about this
gramma

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:59:31 PM

You WILL get scammed eventually... it's not even a matter of "if".

That's a little harsh, if you play it safe you won't.  I haven't been scammed.

And I've been on the forums for < 6 mos, and I won't scam anyone.  But then, I don't expect to be believed, either.  Be careful out there.

BTC: 1MrNRPo7p8DEyxn87c9BCGwrbatBQeCHc1
revcbh

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:35:06 PM

Could escrow services help this?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 11:13:40 PM

Could escrow services help this?

Unlikely, transactions through escrow could still be reversed.
StringTheory

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Making Sense of Things

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:43:56 AM

The way that I see it is the next big gold rush in the BTC economy is no longer to directly acquire coins or mine them, but to create useful, quick, and transparent services that will facilitate these transactions.  I am very excited to see what is to come about the current race to create the first BTC credit card Grin

Successful Transactions: jayson3 +1
JCviggen

Activity: 1260
Merit: 505

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:19:17 AM

I am very excited to see what is to come about the current race to create the first BTC credit card Grin

Nothing more fun than a credit line on a booming currency lol

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
simplydt

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 10:04:30 AM

Thanks a lot for this post, I was considering using PayPal to buy some bitcoins but now that I've read this, I've been reminded when I sold my WOW account for like $800 via PayPal...and got scammed. You are completely right, PayPal is weak, and I've got fresh memories of why I hate it.
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:42:52 AM

Was a victim to Paypal fraud last year. It's a real bummer. And Paypal suck at resolving such issues.

Glad to see Bitcoin users are being proactive and not getting tangled in such a mess (Paypal)
c1010010

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:14:55 PM

Yea, have to agree about Paypal.  They act without any investigation up front.  This is really not that big of a deal if you are talking about sub hundred transactions, but when you start dealing in 1000s, it is a mess.  I avoid whenever I can.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
New2Mining

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:15:21 PM

I have a question:  I can see the PP issue, but what is your opinion on this particular situation?  

An Ebay seller has up for bid his early 60gh BFL Single order.  Very early supposedly.  He specified that PP or any other pmt than BTC would require prior permission AND that he would be willing to accept a good offer to take down the auction.  I contacted him and offered a bank-wire of $8500 (about midway between the various comparable closings that day).  This wire wouldn't require that he provide me his banking info, just a Cell# or email to give my bank, which then sends him withdrawal instructions.

He turned this down and said only BTC.  So I asked "How many BTC?"  Naturally I am expecting a number commensurate with at least 8500 USD in BTC but he sends back a request for 40 (or ~5500 USD as of that time).

Now I feel like this is a scam.  Why would a bank wire not be acceptable for an item that he won't even possess until long after the funds have appeared in his acct?  And am I not on the completely scammable and helpless end of the transaction now if I send BTC as that is completely irreversible?  Do I sound paranoid or reasonably suspicious?
bahehs

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:41:28 PM

Paypal has the reslove issue where you can report and get a refund unlike bitcoin.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:42:30 PM

I have a question:  I can see the PP issue, but what is your opinion on this particular situation?  

An Ebay seller has up for bid his early 60gh BFL Single order.  Very early supposedly.  He specified that PP or any other pmt than BTC would require prior permission AND that he would be willing to accept a good offer to take down the auction.  I contacted him and offered a bank-wire of $8500 (about midway between the various comparable closings that day).  This wire wouldn't require that he provide me his banking info, just a Cell# or email to give my bank, which then sends him withdrawal instructions.

He turned this down and said only BTC.  So I asked "How many BTC?"  Naturally I am expecting a number commensurate with at least 8500 USD in BTC but he sends back a request for 40 (or ~5500 USD as of that time).

Now I feel like this is a scam.  Why would a bank wire not be acceptable for an item that he won't even possess until long after the funds have appeared in his acct?  And am I not on the completely scammable and helpless end of the transaction now if I send BTC as that is completely irreversible?  Do I sound paranoid or reasonably suspicious?
Reasonably suspicious. Don't do it, it's probably a scam.
New2Mining

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:24:40 PM

Reasonably suspicious. Don't do it, it's probably a scam.

Yeah, I just found that he previously completed an auction on the same unit and turned down the buyer at a price of $21,000 because it wouldn't be BTC.  Seems legit.
Samson5

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:12:31 PM

Paypal is such a ripoff. Blow up the datacenters!
drewsalas1

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:36:49 PM

Paypal is such a ripoff. Blow up the datacenters!

I agree that there are a lot better routes to go than PayPal, but I am one who likes options. PayPal is just another option which can be very useful and safe when used right.
gacbmmml

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:57:49 PM

So what makes Paypal any different from Dwolla or Stripe?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: