Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:43:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Pools Generally Keep The "Generated Fees" Associated With Each Block?  (Read 1659 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:25:03 PM

I have seen a lot of "0%" pools pop up recently...

All of them seem to state "you are getting exactly what you deserve" ... "you get 50 BTC divided by the amount of work you contributed" ...

But there is nothing that mentions dividing of transaction fees, anywhere.

So am I correct in believing that the owners of every major pool simply pocket the transaction fees? (And ask for a "donation" on top of that?! (some of them!))
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wuked

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 12:13:45 AM

Yes.

I guess this is because

1) Getting the value of the transaction is harder than just setting it to 50BTC.
2) Pools aren't trivial to run, and they deserve some benefits.

I'm running a trial on my pool where we pay out the fees on the block as well as the 50BTC, but I don't know how sustainable it is in the long term.

gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 07:46:01 AM

Yes.

I guess this is because

1) Getting the value of the transaction is harder than just setting it to 50BTC.

I'm running a trial on my pool where we pay out the fees on the block as well as the 50BTC, but I don't know how sustainable it is in the long term.

Good to know, thanks for the response!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 11:25:28 AM

pools are evil. at least that's my conclusion.

as long as nobody bothers to debunk my concerns in the other thread, i will stick with this conclusion.

if the profit/year when using a pool is:
* more, they are evil to the bitcoin system.
* less, they are evil to their contributors.

in any case they might or might not be part of cartels and be evil to both on the long run.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:40:52 PM

BTC Guild currently keeps tx fees, and will likely do so until the total of donations + fees are more than 2% per block.   My current plan is to eventually set it up so any txfees which push the income per block over 2% will be split with the pool.  Until then (and even after that point), I disclose exactly how much BTC the pool has generated in TX Fees on our block statistics page.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 06:22:21 PM

Yes.

I guess this is because

A lot of pools only payout up to 2 decimal places. If a user leaves your pool, can they withdraw all 8 decimal places of their BTC?
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 07:43:27 AM

Yes.

I guess this is because

A lot of pools only payout up to 2 decimal places. If a user leaves your pool, can they withdraw all 8 decimal places of their BTC?

This irks me too.

It's like a hidden tax for using their services if you cannot cash out 100% of your earnings.

I am sure that as the bitcoin client progresses however that the larger pools will implement such things.
nuclearstar

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:34:25 AM

On Wuked's pool I got the whole 8 decimals paid when we found the first block.
same thing happened to the 2nd one (assuming it confirms ok)
Lightspeed

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:40:06 AM

This is going to HAVE to change.

Eventually all the BTC we mine will be fees!

Overclocking = money? Greatest full time hobby ever!
1AR2eheP4nckS3tuzZHG6ARYndeddxmeDg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: