Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:08:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Pre ANN] Vulcanalia Mint Physical BTC and more  (Read 12205 times)
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 07:34:24 PM

--COINS
we also plan on selling some funded metal bitcoin, our first will be a "Pizza Coin"

kind of a wacky idea, but I think you guys will like it. The coin itself will be sculpted like a pizza, with little pepperonis, the coin will be funded with the USD VALUE of 41$ in bitcoin at the time of mint (to commemorate the first bitcoin pizza sale - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0 )

I will keep you guys updated here, along with salty, as we continue making cool stuff for you guys

I forgot to comment on this part. I didn't know if we wanted to let people know about the idea yet, but whatever. Design hasn't begun for this coin, however we have been figuring out a lot of the mechanics around physically building it and our process for selling them. It is planned to be one of our earlier productions.

We will pre-announce when we plan to produce the Pizza coin, at least a week ahead of actual minting. For one week we will mint and sell them. After that, you will have to wait for next year's edition. On day 1 of the week, we will take the weighted Bitcoin average and decide that year's funding amount. As Mush said, it will be $41 converted into Bitcoins to commemorate the sale of the 10,000 BTC pizza. The idea behind it is that as the years go on, the funding amount will decrease little by little. The 2016 Pizza Coin from Vulcanalia would be funded with roughly 0.0651 BTC if minted today. Maybe in 2017 if BTC is $1000/coin during the week of minting, they would be funded with 0.041 BTC, etc etc. Of course the designs will change, and each piece will be stamped with the year, the # it was produced, and the BTC value of $41 that year.

No idea about what materials will be used or the size of the coin at the moment. Probably Copper, Silver, some various neat alloys, etc. Gold probably wont be on the todo list for this year, but the 2017 Bitcoin pizza could end up cast in gold. I'd like to make the coin relatively large so we can get a lot more detail.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Liad.Services

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 09:07:06 PM

--COINS
we also plan on selling some funded metal bitcoin, our first will be a "Pizza Coin"

kind of a wacky idea, but I think you guys will like it. The coin itself will be sculpted like a pizza, with little pepperonis, the coin will be funded with the USD VALUE of 41$ in bitcoin at the time of mint (to commemorate the first bitcoin pizza sale - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0 )

I will keep you guys updated here, along with salty, as we continue making cool stuff for you guys

I forgot to comment on this part. I didn't know if we wanted to let people know about the idea yet, but whatever. Design hasn't begun for this coin, however we have been figuring out a lot of the mechanics around physically building it and our process for selling them. It is planned to be one of our earlier productions.

We will pre-announce when we plan to produce the Pizza coin, at least a week ahead of actual minting. For one week we will mint and sell them. After that, you will have to wait for next year's edition. On day 1 of the week, we will take the weighted Bitcoin average and decide that year's funding amount. As Mush said, it will be $41 converted into Bitcoins to commemorate the sale of the 10,000 BTC pizza. The idea behind it is that as the years go on, the funding amount will decrease little by little. The 2016 Pizza Coin from Vulcanalia would be funded with roughly 0.0651 BTC if minted today. Maybe in 2017 if BTC is $1000/coin during the week of minting, they would be funded with 0.041 BTC, etc etc. Of course the designs will change, and each piece will be stamped with the year, the # it was produced, and the BTC value of $41 that year.

No idea about what materials will be used or the size of the coin at the moment. Probably Copper, Silver, some various neat alloys, etc. Gold probably wont be on the todo list for this year, but the 2017 Bitcoin pizza could end up cast in gold. I'd like to make the coin relatively large so we can get a lot more detail.

Sounds like a great idea.

I think that everybody here would like to own a slice of the bitcoin history. Sterling silver will be great for such a coin.

Is it going to be a limited edition coin?
Keep us updated, really interesting, also a coin of a block reward can be cool too, but only after everything goes well with the first idea of course:).
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 09:15:31 PM

Sounds like a great idea.

I think that everybody here would like to own a slice of the bitcoin history. Sterling silver will be great for such a coin.

Is it going to be a limited edition coin?
Keep us updated, really interesting, also a coin of a block reward can be cool too, but only after everything goes well with the first idea of course:).

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what metals to make them out of, but thats not a big deal. All I know is that I probably wont do platinum/paladium/gold for the 2016 edition. I'm sure I'll offer them in a variety of metals depending on whatever seems suitable. As far as being limited edition, we may decide to set a hard cap on how many are produced, or just stick with the one week thing. If we have 100 orders in that week, 100 will be made, and after that week is over, no more. If we have 3 orders that week, only 3 would be made, and no more. Each piece will be hand numbered, and I'll be able to tell the mintage at the end of the week.

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 05:40:26 PM

So for today's update, I've sort of been slacking, but I finally got my larger furnace finished

This one should hold ~5-10 KG comfortably, if I should ever need something that large. My little electric furnace holds about 1 KG depending on crucible dimensions, which is what I intend to use most of the time, but here it is.

My casting supplies are arriving early next week, and at that point I should be able to start making things. I will probably realize I need more finishing tools as I progress, but taking it one step at a time seems to be working.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 11:39:39 PM

And heres the furnace in action  Grin

One piece I poured too fast, and it turned out really really strangely though I have no idea why. I might finish it up and see if there is a market for fancy paperweights.
Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 01:58:50 AM

That's fine man, mistakes are a learning experience
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:32:23 AM

Well the only mistake aspect of it, was that I poured the liquid copper too fast and it formed a large piece that isn't super useful for casting. Thats not a huge deal since I can just remelt large pieces. I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the iridescence, its really neat looking. Apparently its called flame coloring, though I have no idea how it occurred.
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 02:52:03 AM

Well the only mistake aspect of it, was that I poured the liquid copper too fast and it formed a large piece that isn't super useful for casting. Thats not a huge deal since I can just remelt large pieces. I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the iridescence, its really neat looking. Apparently its called flame coloring, though I have no idea how it occurred.

In my experience anodizing,  I've seen that patina on flamed and melted copper before.  What liquid/temperature are you using for quenching?

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 03:05:48 AM

In my experience anodizing,  I've seen that patina on flamed and melted copper before.  What liquid/temperature are you using for quenching?

Ah, interesting. I don't have a huge background in processing my own copper, so I had never seen it before. Just using water, probably ~60 degrees or whatever temperature it was outside. It only occurred on that one piece though.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2016, 03:22:54 AM

I would be interested in some hand poured coins like this:

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 03:35:49 AM

There will be plenty of hand poured pieces to go around! Thats actually the simplest to do, so those will be incredibly affordable.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2016, 03:40:53 AM

There will be plenty of hand poured pieces to go around! Thats actually the simplest to do, so those will be incredibly affordable.

Excellent... I would be interested in some silver goodies then. I prefer larger sized pours so 5oz+
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 03:44:02 AM

Excellent... I would be interested in some silver goodies then. I prefer larger sized pours so 5oz+

That can very easily be arranged. Everything I make will be in multiple sizes/metals, so those who want something large to toss around like a frisby can, and those who want to spend as little as possible and still have a piece can partake as well.

I can do fractional stuff, or I can do 10Kg stuff. No need to order multiple sets of dies or other complicated things, just scale and create molds.

Its looking like I'll be producing my first pieces within the next week, so look forward to some previews.
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 04:45:59 AM

Ah, interesting. I don't have a huge background in processing my own copper, so I had never seen it before. Just using water, probably ~60 degrees or whatever temperature it was outside. It only occurred on that one piece though.

Very cool, thanks for the info and looking forward to your finishing techniques!

Liad.Services

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 08:18:45 AM

I am glad to see that everything is going right for you,also  glad to see that you had your first mistake happend with copper which is considered to a cheap metal.

Poured coins are really special and I would also like to have some Smiley.

Did you already make the designs or are you going to use some ready designs for your first productions?

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 01:52:57 PM

I am glad to see that everything is going right for you,also  glad to see that you had your first mistake happend with copper which is considered to a cheap metal.

Poured coins are really special and I would also like to have some Smiley.

Did you already make the designs or are you going to use some ready designs for your first productions

The designs for the first Bitcoin related productions are not complete, no. However, since all design related things are done in house, and not outsourced at any point, the timescale for design to completed project is nowhere near as long. I could conceivably come up with a design for something and start casting it in metal the same day. The first three things I'm making are the necklace/keychains for Mushroomized, the Pizza coin, and the blockchain statue. I still need a bit more machinery in the form of laser engravers and such before I can physically put Bitcoin addresses on things. That is pretty much my only limiting factor at the moment.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 01:35:44 PM

So today's update. I'm just waiting on a replacement PID for my firing kiln, the vacuum pump for my casting table, and a couple of crucibles, and I'll be all set. Everything should arrive this week, so by this weekend, I'm hoping to have something made, even if its just some tests to mess about with. I've got a temporary hand stamp, as it will take a while to have my custom one made. I just got something sort of generic to mark what I make until I have the Vulcanalia branded one to my satisfaction.

Looking toward the future, I'm looking at laser engraving or diamond drag systems, custom holograms if I need them (bleh), and I'm starting research into fancy printers that can make little COAs. Plate forming and bending machines, 50 ton hydraulic presses, and all sorts of other goodies will probably be obtained if I can find some local shop space.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 04:06:29 PM

So today's update. I'm just waiting on a replacement PID for my firing kiln, the vacuum pump for my casting table, and a couple of crucibles, and I'll be all set. Everything should arrive this week, so by this weekend, I'm hoping to have something made, even if its just some tests to mess about with. I've got a temporary hand stamp, as it will take a while to have my custom one made. I just got something sort of generic to mark what I make until I have the Vulcanalia branded one to my satisfaction.

Looking toward the future, I'm looking at laser engraving or diamond drag systems, custom holograms if I need them (bleh), and I'm starting research into fancy printers that can make little COAs. Plate forming and bending machines, 50 ton hydraulic presses, and all sorts of other goodies will probably be obtained if I can find some local shop space.

Let me know if you need any custom parts machined/created for your setup. I have access to a machine shop that is fairly large.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 04:39:55 PM

Let me know if you need any custom parts machined/created for your setup. I have access to a machine shop that is fairly large.

Cool, I greatly appreciate it! This is something I planned on doing for myself later, but I figure I'll ask. Have you machined graphite before? I need a better CNC Mill before I'm able to make my own graphite molds. If you are able to make a few things, that might actually move my progress along. If not, its not a big deal, I've planned my releases around my own mechanical capabilities, with things requiring additional setup to come in later batches.

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 05:52:54 PM

So I've neglected my daily updates for a couple of days, but things were happening!

• Vacuum pump/casting table all set up.
  • New crucibles arrived, tempering them tonight
  • Furnace repairs made, apparently most refractory isn't rated to 4,000+ degrees
  • All finishing materials arrived, probably missing some hand tools, but it is what it is, I'll get them when I realize I need them
  • Electric Furnace Display still hasn't arrived, but thats but a minor inconvenience at this point

All of that said, theres a nearly 100% chance I'll have something made this weekend. A slight chance I'll have something made today. Assuming I can fire molds over a fire rather than in my electric furnace, I'm all set and ready to start casting. If I do need to fire my molds in the electric kiln, then I'll only be able to cast one of whatever I make, the mold wont be reusuable. Either way, that doesn't change that I'll be able to make at least one of something now.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: