Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:27:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only newbie just buying bitcoins?  (Read 2671 times)
brewcrew

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 02:10:21 AM

no you are not. i am in the same boat, but i can't quite figure out how to buy them yet Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 01:44:07 PM

both buying and mining (and for us noobs, the software) are total pains in the ass. I'm not interested in mining, but i can't even get my hands on decent windows wallet software. My university's firewall makes thin clients my only option. I actually just installed ubuntu with wubi, but there are some driver issues with my wireless card so i'm on the brink of "fuck it." I don't want to print out paper wallets and I don't want to use ewallets. If bitcoin is ever, ever going to take off, it needs to get its software streamlined asap. NOBODY wants to download some fucking block chain. And most people where I'm from don't want to mess with linux, command line, firewall ports, or pgp. When accessibility goes up, so will trading volume. And that makes everybody happy.

why isn't the standard bitcoin client not working for you ? it's pretty decent
My university's firewall makes thin clients my only option.

Try setting up a client outside of the universality's firewall that you can connect to and you can use the outside one as a node to grab the blockchain.

I like that idea.
moocow1452

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

Don't mind me.

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 01:53:37 PM

Instawallet is pretty good with clienting in the cloud.

https://www.instawallet.org
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 02:32:35 PM

Forget mining. What about selling something, or providing a service?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
btctrader22

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:52:39 PM

no you are not. i am in the same boat, but i can't quite figure out how to buy them yet Huh

Yeah getting your hands on coins is a pain. i managed to find someone in my city who sold me some
thats the easiest
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 10:01:07 AM

Yeah getting your hands on coins is a pain. i managed to find someone in my city who sold me some
thats the easiest

Maybe the US is different; but in the UK...
  • Register at Intersango
  • Login to your online bank
  • Cut and paste account transfer information from intersango page to online bank page
  • Buy

Other than the manual copy and paste of an account number and reference, it's no harder than the supposed holy grail of paypal purchasing.

Once you've got bitcoins you can transfer them to any other exchange you like and trade in any currency you like.  Or just keep them on your desktop computer.

Are things that different in the US that it's really a "pain in the ass" to buy coins?

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
jlambert

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:02:03 PM

Your not the only one.  Mining requires investment upfront in equipment.  I find it much easier to watch the charts at bitcoincharts and invest accordingly.
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 04:03:35 PM

Am I the only newbie right now JUST buying bitcoins and not jumping on the mining bandwagon?

THere are/were many.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:59:06 PM

Are any real people near you? Check here.

btcnearme.com/

btctrader22

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 11:24:28 PM

btcnearme.com/

yeah, that's the one
realnowhereman

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 09:53:37 AM

btcnearme.com/

Didn't know about that site... how wonderfully simple it is.  Breath of fresh air compared to many of the other "near-me" BTC sites.

Registered there as a seller, just to encourage that site.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

btcnearme.com/

Didn't know about that site... how wonderfully simple it is.  Breath of fresh air compared to many of the other "near-me" BTC sites.

Registered there as a seller, just to encourage that site.
I like the simplicity of this site also. And, P.S. You do not have to fill in your email address to see others in your area. Just leave it blank. You can also enter a place name like "London" instead of a zip code to see peers in that area.

arabianights

Activity: 53

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:44:34 PM

thats the easiest

• Register at Intersango
  • Cut and paste account transfer information from intersango page to online bank page
  • Buy

Other than the manual copy and paste of an account number and reference, it's no harder than the supposed holy grail of paypal purchasing.

Once you've got bitcoins you can transfer them to any other exchange you like and trade in any currency you like.  Or just keep them on your desktop computer.

Are things that different in the US that it's really a "pain in the ass" to buy coins?

very similar process on MTGox. Very easy.

And yeah, I'm a newbie who's just buying coins too. As a punt they're brilliant even at twice this price
Binary Finery

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:48:23 PM

thats the easiest

• Register at Intersango
  • Buy

very similar process on MTGox. Very easy.

And yeah, I'm a newbie who's just buying coins too. As a punt they're brilliant even at twice this price

How do Intersango remain top of the UK market, with such exorbitant fees, no fee schedule for volume traders and ridiculous interference in the market with their Market Maker discount!!
arabianights

Activity: 53

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 03:34:28 PM

how would I know?  Cheesy
Binary Finery

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 09:40:20 PM

rhetorical question - but anyone who has used both Mt Gox and Intersango can see Inter have a long way to go to promote themselves to new traders - community loyalty will surely run dry soon, if they don't sort out their funding issues. I've had £650 stuck in limbo for over 10 days now, with no sign of resolution. Someone set up a UK competitor please...
btctrader22

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 10:02:23 PM

so finally got a MtGox account.

not hard to setup, but I can't wire anything in there from eurpe without sending them like a ton of doxx

takes for ever and i'm not particularly happy to be obliged to give them my id.

also, wire still takes two effing days. and i can't send money during week-ends, looks like banking computers take a weel deserved rest on sundays.

dont freaking bank know about this thing called the internet ?

best method is still to meet someone who has some, like a miner, and buy it for cold hard cash

realnowhereman

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 10:10:09 PM

rhetorical question - but anyone who has used both Mt Gox and Intersango can see Inter have a long way to go to promote themselves to new traders - community loyalty will surely run dry soon, if they don't sort out their funding issues. I've had £650 stuck in limbo for over 10 days now, with no sign of resolution. Someone set up a UK competitor please...

I know what you mean; I've got a lot of affection for Intersango having used them since the early britcoin days (despite being bitten by an early trade matching bug).  However, they have completely ignored many of the suggestions I've made to them for site improvements and the site still feels like something from the 2000s. The one they did take (market maker bonus) seems to have reduced the spread (as one would expect), so I don't really see why they're so against the others.  Instead, I got a long email telling me that their unique selling point is that they're so reliable and trustworthy (that's a bare minimum requirement for an exchange guys, not a unique selling point).

Here are some ideas again in case Intersango are listening:

Why is the site hard coded so wide (try using it on a mobile for some fun, or even just a half-width browser window)? Where is the AJAX?  Where is the live orderbook display?  Where are the stop loss orders?  Why are there two/three different pages needed to manage my outstanding orders (competing over a penny difference with someone at the top of the orderbook is immensely frustrating)?  Why is it damned near impossible to place a market order for 100% of the GBP I have?  Why do I have to get a calculator out to buy £50 worth of coins when I'm sat in front of a 2 GHz PC?  If I were being really brutal I would ask why Intersango can't automatically proxy out to Mt.Gox (like bitconica does) to get a bit of volume on their own books?  If I can arbitrage between exchanges, why can't the exchanges do that themselves automatically -- get a bit of peer-to-peer goodness going on?

It's frustrating because they obviously have some talented developers working for them; and they've gone a huge distance to jump from britcoin to intersango but now seems to be sitting stagnating.  If bitcoinica can leapfrog them in such a short time, it shows that it can be done if you supply the market a unique feature that other exchanges aren't -- get implementing features then, who knows which one will be the "killer app" (if I had to guess, I'd say stop loss would tempt a lot of people)?

There are plenty of features that Mt.Gox is missing too of course, but being #1 usually means you can rest on your laurels for a while.

onan

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 10:46:15 PM

I have use spendbitcoins.com in the past to buy BTC. Just recently got interested in mining though!
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:14:10 AM

Have you contacted support?

All of our payment options are currently up to date, If you've made a payment and don't have it then there is something wrong with your specific payment.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: