Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:39:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit has bigger bulls than here  (Read 3318 times)
calian (OP)

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:01:26 AM

At least this guy is:

[–]throwaway-69857457 63 points 4 hours ago*
I'm one of those early ones. I read the original paper, thought about it for a few hours and decided that this is going to become bigger than Jesus. Bought a lot of mining equipment (took a lot of risk with my money, at this point there was not any kind of marked price/exchange or anything) and mined like there was no tomorrow. I have not sold many coins, had to sell a few to prove to my wife that I was not completely insane, she was not satisfied until she saw USD appear in her account. I have no plans to sell anytime soon, I'm fairly certain this is only the beginning. Sure there will be ups and downs but in the end I would be very surprised if the price didn't reach several thousand USD per coin or more. In which case i will be in the global 0.000001% for sure. I also gave away about half of my coins to a friend and a few to other friends. I was pretty well off even before this, very close to independently wealthy, but the bitcoin's have definitely tipped the scales. I'm not in this to become rich and buy a lot of "things", from the very start I was politically motivated, as are many others of the very early adopters although with a little bit different alignments. I have a conviction that bitcoin will be the liberator for the worlds poor giving them access to the global marketplace on a scale never seen before. If bitcoin can give market access to that many people the entire planet will experience an upswing comparable to the industrial revolution, only stronger. I will save my coins until the price is of such a magnitude that I can begin investing in freestate projects enabling such a future to become reality. Buying a nice car or house is not even tempting, i have that already, what we are talking about here is how the world my children will grow up in will look like and making us a space faring species - nothing else will suffice selling out towards. This is as far as I can see the best shot in my lifetime to contribute towards this reality, if it turns out to go to zero i will not regret holding on to the end. This is all or nothing. Governments have spent hundreds of years fighting for power with little other than misery to show for it. Politicians preach altruism for the masses convincing them to sacrifice their lives for the greater good which always turns out to be a monster. Bitcoin is for the people by the people. Revolution is at hand (i hope).

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1bhhjg/any_bitcoin_millionaires_here_on_reddit_if_so/c96rn3p

I wish he'd pop on here and tell us how many coins he's sitting on.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:30:28 AM

is he a bull? not at all, we here have people who go all in bitcoin, that's what I call a bull. having a nice house and fancy car and some mined bitcoins stored for later is not bullish, everyone here does that - bullish is when you eat Ramen noodles and live under a bridge because all you ever had is sold and money went into bitcoins.

i am satoshi
mornaner

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:40:33 AM

is he a bull? not at all, we here have people who go all in bitcoin, that's what I call a bull. having a nice house and fancy car and some mined bitcoins stored for later is not bullish, everyone here does that - bullish is when you eat Ramen noodles and live under a bridge because all you ever had is sold and money went into bitcoins.

This is not bullish, it's simply stupidity.
mctrix

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:38:27 AM

is there a pool room section? this needs to go there!
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176

Borsche

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:48:34 AM

Think so? The stupid people who went all in when BTC was at $14 now have about 8 times more, so they can safely retire. Now, who is stupid? They or (hypothetical since I know nothing about you) you going to work daily? Smiley

i am satoshi
OnlyGoodVibes

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:49:59 AM

What does Bitcoin have to do with us becoming a space faring species? Wow some people truly are brainwashed by their own hype about Bitcoin.
mornaner

Activity: 65

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:58:12 AM

Think so? The stupid people who went all in when BTC was at $14 now have about 8 times more, so they can safely retire. Now, who is stupid? They or (hypothetical since I know nothing about you) you going to work daily? Smiley

Yeah, and BTC could have crashed and be worth nothing, and they would have literally nothing. I think it's stupid to go all in onto anything to the point you have to hurt your lifestyle a lot, specially if it's something as new as BTC, that can fail (don't think it will, but there is a nonzero probability it could happen).
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:19:12 AM

What does Bitcoin have to do with us becoming a space faring species? Wow some people truly are brainwashed by their own hype about Bitcoin.

That's like asking what the Industrial Revolution has to do with our becoming a space-faring species.
Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:28:38 AM

Yeah, and BTC could have crashed and be worth nothing, and they would have literally nothing. I think it's stupid to go all in onto anything to the point you have to hurt your lifestyle a lot, specially if it's something as new as BTC, that can fail (don't think it will, but there is a nonzero probability it could happen).

I bought a lot of coins around $14 but even with perfect hindsight it would have been a foolish move to have gone all in. Only invest what you can afford to lose and if you're lucky, that's quite a substantial sum by itself.

I would guess throwaway-69857457 has around 100k BTC. He mentions he would be in the top 0.000001% when the price goes to a few thousand dollars per coin, so he would be among the richest 7000 people on earth. There are around 1200 billionaires on the planet, so being in the top-7000 would probably mean you own around half a billion dollars. Right now the guy probably owns $10 million in bitcoins.

I love that fact that he is a libertarian. Bitcoin is probably the greatest thing to ever hit the libertarian movement.

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:40:24 AM

Hmmm...not sure I buy this story. He realized the potential of BTC within a few hours of reading the original paper, and proceeded to build an expensive mining farm? Before BTC was trading on Gox? Maybe he did, but that's an awfully ideal scenario.
Faraday

Activity: 240

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:47:05 AM

Another reply from him
Bitcoin can do this. The world today is structured like a feudal society where the rich people have built walls to protect themselves against competition from poor people. These walls are both physical (poor people are not allowed to travel to rich countries to work freely) and abstract (currency control, manipulation, import duties, unions decide who gets to work with what, taxes, regulation). The divide between rich and poor have never been higher, the rich people are really afraid of competition and tries to stop competition with every tool in the box. You can compare every aspect of the feudal society in the middle ages and find that the same type of structures is in play today. Back then the rich lived inside castles with walls. Today they live inside virtual walls where passports are needed to travel, if your passport has the wrong color you are locked out. Back then the rich had guilds that decided who could do which kind of work blocking out unguilded workers. Today we have unions who decide who gets to work with what and for what pay. Back then citizens had to pay the rich to rent land to live on, people were born into debt and stayed in perpetual debt throughout their entire lives leaving an inheritance of debt to their children. Today we pay taxes and our parents have voted themselves such good pensions that we will stay in perpetual debt. Our unborn children have already "promised" to work like slaves to pay off this debt.
This system is sick, it is anti-human, and it needs to die. Capitalism and rule of law needs to be re-introduced to get out of this mess.
The feudal age ended when the poor revolted against the rich. The rich, locked up inside their castles, found that everything they consumed originated from outside the walls. It took some time for the poor to realize that it was in fact them that made the rules and not the other way around. It is those who produce that decide, not the other way around. When the poor stopped deliveries to the rich inside the castles the entire power structure of the middle ages collapsed. The poor revolted against the rich. They beheaded those that tried to re-introduce feudalism. The ones willing to hand over power peacefully the poor accepted as powerless royalty. This change triggered the age of enlightenment which is the epoch of human history with the biggest advances within all fields: economy, industry, art, science, literacy, education and medicine. This again triggered the industrial revolution. Before this it was only royalty that could afford luxuries, it took capitalism + the rule of law to make luxury available to the poor. Just 100 years after the fall of feudalism the average citizen had richer lives than the royalty had during feudalism. This is what is going to happen again. When modern feudalism falls every single person on this planet will have the lifestyle of the richest westerner in 100 years. It is in your rational self-interest to want this for your children. The entire 'financial crises' is the proof that this system is failing, money is flowing uncontrollably from rich to poor. Almost all the means of production is now located in developing countries. Unemployment, poverty is staring to tear the royalty apart inside their walls; the wealthiest are fleeing from within the walls to start new lives in what will become the new power countries.
Bitcoin enables free trade across borders. Bitcoin will bypass the walls, trade fees, import duties, taxes, union regulation and whatnot. This will create an even faster outflow of wealth from the developed countries to the developing. Equilibrium has to be reached before growth can continue globally. If you look at the eastern European countries today I don’t think equilibrium is so far off from many developing countries in Asia. Bitcoin will tear down many of the financial walls that protect the rich and will empower the poor. Right now I have people working for me in developing countries paying them in bitcoin, I bypass every rule, regulation, union, trade tariff, minimum wage law in existence. We are talking free trade in the purest form: completely voluntary relations. I smell victory for freedom and humanity already.
This is not a mater of "giving" anything for free to anybody but leveling the playing field so that it is again competition that decides who gets paid what and not on which side of the wall you just happened to be born on. Just imagine, just by sheer statistical chance, the amount of Albert Einsteins, Eulers, Darwins, Satoshis etc that have lived and died deprived of every opportunity to realize their potential because they were born on the wrong side of a wall - humanity is losing out bigtime. The internet + bitcoin (or another crypto currency) will change this.

As far as going all in, I done it. And it's paid off well. People say it's stupid but i'm only young, I don't have a family to support, and I've got plenty of time to start over if it all fails.
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 12:27:12 PM

So if I sold my house to buy lottery tickets, and I won, would you say that this was a smart move?
Personally, I don't think one should judge how smart an action is solely by its consequences.
chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 12:31:09 PM

Sometimes people lie on the internet.  These people are known as redditors.

The post could be legit, but I think it's far more likely that it's some kid making stuff up for karma.

Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 12:36:06 PM

Sometimes people lie on the internet.  These people are known as redditors.

The post could be legit, but I think it's far more likely that it's some kid making stuff up for karma.

On a throwaway account?
chiropteran

Activity: 348

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 12:44:35 PM

Just saying, I've heard a lot of crazy stuff on reddit, and more often than not a few days later someone points out how the OP was a fake.  This could be legit, but I don't think it being a new account is evidence enough on it's own.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Sounds like another karma whore to me.
Arcurus
Donator

Activity: 293

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:40:42 PM

(...) The internet + bitcoin (or another crypto currency) will change this.
SIGN

For me Internet & bitcoin are just tools,
We can use it for this and we can use it for that.
As for my part I'm also political motivated in bitcoin like throwaway.
And I'm ready to take my part in creating a free world full of respect for each other.

As far as I see it, we can simple sit in front of our TVs (ok in our case most likely Laptops) and see how the world is more and more going crazy in an bad way,
or we can simply use our skill for creating a world where we want to live in.

Best regards,
Arcurus

P.s.: For me bitcoin is just one of the first steps to a more free and fair world, and as for throwaway bitcoin is just a tool for me to help to build a free world full to respect for eachother. I like the technology behind bitcoin very much, but I think if we really want to help to create a free and fair society we should use the technology of bitcoin and create a currency that is distributed eaqualy to the benefit of all humans.

(For example one human one coin per day)

I know that’s not an easy task to design such an decentralized currency, and I know that we can’t start with 7 Billion humans at once, but hey, we are Nerds and who if not we can find a way to make this real?

And yes we can also start with 1000 or 100 people and scale up if time comes  Cool

...(or another crypto currency) will change this.
Yea so it will be! Let's have some fun and change this crazy game a little bit to the good of all Grin

Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others.
Plato

Interested in a beautiful free world:
http://foundation.freicoin.org/
SomeWhere

Activity: 71

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:31:02 PM

I couldn't concur more with what this guy is saying. That's exactly why I am in Bitcoin.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 02:57:24 PM

I'd like to go on the record again saying that Bitcoin price increases are just getting started.

gmiwenht

Activity: 115

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:10:42 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 05:55:00 AM by gmiwenht

[deleted]

1xsBEUVzo6EtAST5Bq96AztiTR5mBXNzt
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: