Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:20:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Master public key is quantum proof?  (Read 973 times)
RealBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:24:01 PM

I am referring to  BIP 32, and the deterministic wallets. Is the master public key quantum proof in the sense that can a quantum computer reverse engineer the child private keys from the master public key?

I am specifically interested if this holds true for Electrum wallet as well. (But I posted in this board, since it is a general question about BTC security).

Public parent key → private child key

This is not possible.

The bip documentation says it's impossible, but does it hold true from quantum computers as well?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
buhrmi
Copper Member

Activity: 25
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 06:02:59 PM

With a powerful enough quantum computer, nothing holds true.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 06:09:03 PM

BIP 32 keys are still ECDSA keys. Therefore they have the same problems that all ECDSA keys have, which is to say they are not quantum resistant.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 07:08:39 PM

BIP 32 keys are still ECDSA keys. Therefore they have the same problems that all ECDSA keys have, which is to say they are not quantum resistant.

Well i have done some research and most experts say that in the context of child keys:

Unspent addresses are safe against quantum hackers -> Because the public key is not revealed,so unless somebody posts his public key on facebook, it should hold, because it has another layer of RIPEMD protecting it. That should hold against quantum computers.

However I want to see what is the context of this theory in the BIP32 wallets ,where we are talking about master public keys.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 07:51:27 PM

Well i have done some research and most experts say that in the context of child keys:

Unspent addresses are safe against quantum hackers -> Because the public key is not revealed,so unless somebody posts his public key on facebook, it should hold, because it has another layer of RIPEMD protecting it. That should hold against quantum computers.

However I want to see what is the context of this theory in the BIP32 wallets ,where we are talking about master public keys.
The Extended public keys are not hashed. Otherwise it would not be possible to actually get the public key and derive the non-hardened child addresses. This means that once QCs are viable, you should not hand out your xpub because then the public key can be gotten and the corresponding private key can be retrieved. Then the attacker can derive all of your address's private keys and steal your Bitcoin.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 07:54:07 PM

The Extended public keys are not hashed. Otherwise it would not be possible to actually get the public key and derive the non-hardened child addresses. This means that once QCs are viable, you should not hand out your xpub because then the public key can be gotten and the corresponding private key can be retrieved. Then the attacker can derive all of your address's private keys and steal your Bitcoin.

This is what I feared, so basically BIP 32 is useless then, and better keep bitcoin in 1 unspent address.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 08:12:01 PM

This is what I feared, so basically BIP 32 is useless then, and better keep bitcoin in 1 unspent address.
No, it isn't useless. Just don't give out your Master public key. It is still useful for deterministic backups.

One thing to remember is that the keys are not derived off of each other. The keys are derived from the master public key, not the child key that came before it. So it is still safe to use BIP 32 wallets, just don't give out your Master public key and don't derive child keys based on addresses you already used.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 08:19:52 PM

No, it isn't useless. Just don't give out your Master public key. It is still useful for deterministic backups.

One thing to remember is that the keys are not derived off of each other. The keys are derived from the master public key, not the child key that came before it. So it is still safe to use BIP 32 wallets, just don't give out your Master public key and don't derive child keys based on addresses you already used.

Yeah but you cannot use it as watching only, since the master pub key is exposed. Yeah its still good for normal use but not the "ultimate security" i was expecting.

Any chance the BIP32 will be uppgraded to quantum resistance and make master public keys hardened?

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 08:22:53 PM

Yeah but you cannot use it as watching only, since the master pub key is exposed. Yeah its still good for normal use but not the "ultimate security" i was expecting.

Any chance the BIP32 will be uppgraded to quantum resistance and make master public keys hardened?
The only way to get quantum resistance is to move off of ECDSA altogether. In that case, everything would move to a quantum resistance signing algorithm. Once QCs start becoming more viable, I think that there is a very high chance that there will be a fork to move Bitcoin to a quantum resistant algo.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 08:27:08 PM

The only way to get quantum resistance is to move off of ECDSA altogether. In that case, everything would move to a quantum resistance signing algorithm. Once QCs start becoming more viable, I think that there is a very high chance that there will be a fork to move Bitcoin to a quantum resistant algo.

Ok but I was referring to as using a bitcoin address without public key, unspent, viewing it from a block explorer

VS

Using a BIP32 wallet, where you have to expose the master pub key to use it watch only.

So a BIP32 wallet has inferior security than 1 single address.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 08:30:15 PM

Ok but I was referring to as using a bitcoin address without public key, unspent, viewing it from a block explorer

VS

Using a BIP32 wallet, where you have to expose the master pub key to use it watch only.

So a BIP32 wallet has inferior security than 1 single address.

In that regard, yes it is less secure. It would be impossible to hide the public key while still being able to derive all of the addresses for lookup.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: