Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:02:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Utilizing A Computer Lab To Generate BitCoins - Best Options?  (Read 707 times)
misterbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:42:12 AM

I need some guidance with this one. I recently discovered Bitcoins and have a "basic" understanding. I am wanting to ramp things up to maximize potential profit. I have the following items at my disposal:

70 Laptops running XP or Linux available 24/7

My question:
1. BTC Guild, BitMinter, or other for pooling?
2. Guiminer, BitMinter, or other for mining?
3. Should I focus on Bitcoins only or try to mine for litecoins and namecoins at the same time?

OR

should I be considering something totally different? I am open for all options.

Thanks in Advance,
J

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
3waystocross

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:44:15 AM

i stopped reading when i read laptops

those are terrible for mining
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:44:42 AM

What hardware have the laptops got? I'm assuming they have pretty good specs. Also do you have permission to do this?

i stopped reading when i read laptops

those are terrible for mining

Some laptops have the same specs as computers, considering they are in a lab they could be top of the range.
NikolaTesla

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:45:38 AM

Are you talking about using a computer lab at say a school? I'm not sure they would be very happy if they discovered you were mining with their network...
3waystocross

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:52:14 AM

Some laptops have the same specs as computers, considering they are in a lab they could be top of the range.

eh
laptop gpu's dont even compare to ones available on desktop
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 03:57:23 AM

eh

Yes. I just tried mining on a new i7 with some sort of nVidia dedicated graphics and achieved 4.7 M hash..

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:20:47 AM

I need some guidance with this one. I recently discovered Bitcoins and have a "basic" understanding. I am wanting to ramp things up to maximize potential profit. I have the following items at my disposal:

My question:
3. Should I focus on Bitcoins only or try to mine for litecoins and namecoins at the same time?

OR

Thanks in Advance,
J

First, your questions:

Just to be sure, by "available 24/7" you do mean they will be running, on and mining 24/7?

cgminer
poolercpu miner (if power is not a concern)

Not if you want to make things complicated.
But you can merge-mine namecoins at some pools and CPU mining litecoins is still more profitable than CPU mining bitcoins and will remain so even if GPU mining litecoins becomes less profitable than GPU mining litecoins.

Now, my questions:
Are power costs something you are worried about? If so, please tell us your hourly rate, as profit is revenue minus power costs.
How often are you willing to go ahead and reconfigure all the machines? (daily, weekly, monthly?)
What are the specifications of the machines? (CPU and GPU brand and model)

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:27:38 AM

I need some guidance with this one.

Okay.  Don't steal.  Stealing is bad.  Not saying you're doing that, but if this lab belongs to someone other than you, and/or you don't have permission, you shouldn't be doing this.  If you are completely legit doing this, then others have offered good advice on the specifics, and again, I'm not accusing you.  I'm just saying I've heard things that sound like this before that were not legit.
3waystocross

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:51:41 AM

eh

If you buy a top laptop they can compare to desktops. Don't get me wrong desktops are always a better option because a medium priced desktop vs a high spec laptop. The desktop would win. However if you had "70" high spec laptops that is going to generate some income.

I get 16 hash rate, which isn't 'bad' considering it's a laptop, however if you are using cpu on a laptop there is no point in even trying.

lol what
16?

a single 7850 does 300 easy and that's not even a high level card

threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 06:27:52 AM

I need some guidance with this one.

Okay.  Don't steal.  Stealing is bad.  Not saying you're doing that, but if this lab belongs to someone other than you, and/or you don't have permission, you shouldn't be doing this.  If you are completely legit doing this, then others have offered good advice on the specifics, and again, I'm not accusing you.  I'm just saying I've heard things that sound like this before that were not legit.

Yes and people do get caught, and jailed. Can you split profit with the lab etc?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 06:29:52 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 05:38:52 PM by aa

misterbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:20:29 PM

I want to clarify the lab, the lab is mine. Also, energy is not a concern because I generate my own via a water turbine.

After doing some research it seems that it may not be worth mining bitcoins. It sounds like laptops will burn out and the competition is using ASIC systems.

So, any internet guides out their that explain how to build an ASIC system? Please correct me if I am wrong.

dragon2nd

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:35:59 PM

My question:

OR

Thanks in Advance,
J

Don't do this! You're just wasting electricity.
mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:09:52 AM

So, any internet guides out their that explain how to build an ASIC system? Please correct me if I am wrong.
LOL

Sorry, I just had to...
Seriously though, start by looking up ASIC on wikipedia. Then pursue it from there, assuming you have hundreds of millions of capital.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: