Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:21:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shojayxt account verified to have been hacked  (Read 385 times)
ShojayxtAuthentic (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 02:42:02 PM

My account has been hacked.  Do not conduct any business with the user shojayxt.  It is not me.  After years of strict discipline regarding running downloaded wallets by running them only in virtualbox I bypassed that step and contracted a virus that allowed a hacker to gain access to my system.  It was then that my account was compromised. 

A few words of caution. 

VIRUSTOTAL DOES NOT IDENTIFY ALL THREATS AND SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED!

NEVER RUN ANY WALLET ON YOUR SYSTEM IF IT ISN'T ISOLATED USING METHODS SUCH AS VIRTUAL BOX.

ALWAYS KEEP BACKUPS OF ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE SO YOU CAN WIPE YOUR SYSTEM AFTER BEING COMPROMISED AND STILL HAVE YOUR DATA.

ALWAYS USE 2FA IF POSSIBLE ON ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNTS.  This likely saved me a significant amount of grief as I have all of my accounts that provide it protected by 2fa.

This has been an eye opening experience and one I do not wish to go through again.

JUST TO REPEAT:

THE ACCOUNT "SHOJAYXT" HAS BEEN COMPROMISED AND IS UNDER THE CONTROL OF A HACKER.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7962

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 02:51:44 PM

You should move this to meta.

Also it would be nice to know the wallet which was infected.
Not a link; just the name.
ShojayxtAuthentic (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 03:12:15 PM

It was the Vermo wallet.  I couldn't get it to compile in a linux virtualbox so I scanned the windows wallet with virustotal.  It came back clean so like an idiot I ran it on my machine without using virtual box because I didn't have a windows instance already setup and I was lazy.  It was a stupid mistake that hopefully others won't make.  You can search in the altcoin announcement thread and see that the Vermo wallet was indeed a virus and that others were affected as well.

Fortunately I enable 2fa on all my accounts if it is available. Unfortunately BTC does not have 2fa capabilities. 

xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7962

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 03:37:29 PM

It was the Vermo wallet.  I couldn't get it to compile in a linux virtualbox so I scanned the windows wallet with virustotal.  It came back clean so like an idiot I ran it on my machine without using virtual box because I didn't have a windows instance already setup and I was lazy.  It was a stupid mistake that hopefully others won't make.  You can search in the altcoin announcement thread and see that the Vermo wallet was indeed a virus and that others were affected as well.

Fortunately I enable 2fa on all my accounts if it is available. Unfortunately BTC does not have 2fa capabilities. 

Etymology
From Latin vermis. Compare Italian verme, Sicilian vemmu.
Noun
vermo m (plural vermi)
1.worm

I know hindsight is 20/20 but... wow. 

Thanks for sharing your story.  Hopefully if will serve as a warning to others.
Everyone involved should give this VERMO user negative trust.

Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2948

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 08:17:44 PM

The account indeed looks hacked. Banned it to prevent misuse. Follow these steps to recover your account: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: