Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:34:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much of an issue, if any, is protecting your identity from the supermarket? (Read the thread first.)
Why would I possibly care about hiding from a supermarket - 2 (50%)
I'd rather not use my name, otherwise I don't care. - 1 (25%)
I want the source of my finances obscured. - 0 (0%)
I would prefer some kind of measures but it wouldn't stop me. - 0 (0%)
Nothing but a complete disconnect between my food and my identity is good enough. - 1 (25%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Online (Australian) supermarket shopping with Bitcoin.  (Read 1987 times)
ruski (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:53:39 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 09:56:29 AM by ruski

So, I spent a few hours analyzing my favourite online shopping site (Coles - Australia only), and it is "vulnerable" to automation. This means I could reasonably set up a server to accept bitcoins and send your order to the supermarket using my own money.

It wouldn't exactly be a "bitcoin supermarket," but it would be close. Would you use it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:50:28 AM

It wouldn't exactly be a "bitcoin supermarket," but it would be close. Would you use it?

Well, I'm in the U.S.   Where will you be offering this service?

Though I suspect you'll go through the technical efforts necessary to get this running and then a few weeks or months later you shut it down because you are operating as a money transmitter, according to FinCEN.

But there are multiple grocery options available today and I don't use them.  The most recent service I looked at wouldn't work because I couldn't be sure I would be around during the delivery window.   If they were to drop off and leave, I wouldn't want to order anything refrigerated.     Another service I was going to order from, Alice.com, would ship the items to me, but again but again -- the logistics of the delivery getting dropped off (and possibly disappearing thanks to not having a halfway secure method for accepting delivery (e.g., a porch), that just isn't something I'm that anxious to use.

But I see the delivery trucks out and about, so there are others that do use these services.  And the order sizes are enough to where there's almost always a few dollars per order going to VISA/MC.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ruski (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:55:45 AM

Well, I'm in the U.S.   Where will you be offering this service?

Though I suspect you'll go through the technical efforts necessary to get this running and then a few weeks or months later you shut it down because you are operating as a money transmitter, according to FinCEN.

But there are multiple grocery options available today and I don't use them.  The most recent service I looked at wouldn't work because I couldn't be sure I would be around during the delivery window.   If they were to drop off and leave, I wouldn't want to order anything refrigerated.     Another service I was going to order from, Alice.com, would ship the items to me, but again but again -- the logistics of the delivery getting dropped off (and possibly disappearing thanks to not having a halfway secure method for accepting delivery (e.g., a porch), that just isn't something I'm that anxious to use.

But I see the delivery trucks out and about, so there are others that do use these services.  And the order sizes are enough to where there's almost always a few dollars per order going to VISA/MC.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that in the OP. It's the Australian supermarket Coles. They do both home delivery and pickup directly from a loading dock at the back of a few key big shops.

FinCEN doesn't have any jurisdiction here as far as I'm aware.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: