Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 01:56:05 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience is now dabbling with 16nm ASICs for new designs  (Read 70508 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 1540

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 01:00:59 AM

Oh yeah, Biggie layout is about 95% finished. I've got ground plane stuff and temp sensor stuff to iron out, and then give it a good once-over to check all connections but I should be on schedule to order prototype PCBs next week.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
heslo

Activity: 281

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 01:45:13 AM

Oh yeah, Biggie layout is about 95% finished. I've got ground plane stuff and temp sensor stuff to iron out, and then give it a good once-over to check all connections but I should be on schedule to order prototype PCBs next week.

You're a machine mate! Looking forward to picking up a few Smiley

Trezor Hardware wallet AVAILABLE NOW!!! - https://www.buytrezor.com?a=4d90d26cd976
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 06:43:44 PM

Biggie pod layout is done, pending a final checkover. I need to do that and work up bitshopper's custom silkscreen for the sticks bound for Europe and I'll be ready to place an order including Biggie prototypes.

The first box of parts just arrived, which includes almost all the passives and some of the active components I'll need to build the 2Pacs, including parts I need to work up the rest of the prototypes. Got some PSU board work to do in the short term, but I'll set up the robot to run out 2Pacs early next week and get review units out to people ASAP.

I also went ahead and followed up on that US heatsink supplier link, thanks Meech. I had come across that outfit when I was doing some looking last month, but that was right before I handed off the task to my procurement agent friend. I've submitted an RFQ for their 1" profile, with and without tapped holes.

I also did a bit more research on anodizing, and since I have about ten feet of heatsink-profile bar stock on hand to play with, I might dabble a bit next week depending what chemicals I can find locally.

-EOS-

Activity: 167

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 08:04:31 PM

Great work Sidehack!

Thank you for the updates.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 08:37:49 PM

Anodizing is - interesting. I played around with it long long ago.

Basic clear and black is easy to do and very straight forward. Colors is where the Majik comes into play... Most often pure DC is not used but rather pulsed DC is be it 120Hz unfiltered from a full-wave circuit or filtered DC chopped to a higher freq. Even the pulsed current ramp up/down times come into play.

You might want to check out what folks at http://www.instructables.com/ have done. Odds are they have DIY info on it.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 08:46:28 PM

DIY is what I've looked into, since anything would be starting from scratch. Seeing decent results from straight DC so I'd probably start there, nothing fancy.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 11:51:24 PM

Thought I had found some links to more detailed specifics on anodizing a while back but this is a good place to start. http://www.anodizing.org/?page=reference_guide and http://www.anodizing.org/?page=faqs

Towards the end of that 1st page they give the colors produced using different aluminum alloys along with current densities/time.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Morguk

Activity: 568

View Profile
January 06, 2017, 11:54:14 PM

Great work sidehack!

JaredKaragen

Activity: 798

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 12:17:53 AM

Thought I had found some links to more detailed specifics on anodizing a while back but this is a good place to start. http://www.anodizing.org/?page=reference_guide and http://www.anodizing.org/?page=faqs

Towards the end of that 1st page they give the colors produced using different aluminum alloys along with current densities/time.

Yeah, basic anodizing small parts doesn't take much at all as far as supplies, and coming up with a regulated power supply to do it is right up your alley sidehack.

The hardest part for most is the calculating of the part surface area for the volt/amp calculation.    Might be something to consider for in-house... if you want to... just a small tank (tupperware bin or old porcelain sink) that you can dunk the parts in a conductive basket.

Lots of youtube vids with home anodizers showing their stuff =)

murasame2003

Activity: 42

XML/EDI Guru

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 03:36:21 AM

I also did a bit more research on anodizing, and since I have about ten feet of heatsink-profile bar stock on hand to play with, I might dabble a bit next week depending what chemicals I can find locally.

I found https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSBM5JM/
Quite similar to Compac heatsink dimension (10mm longer. But fin counts, height, and width are the same) and it is already anno'ed.

Each heatsink is basically $1.99.
Something I just wanted to mention, so you can save some trouble.
If this is not cost effective at all, then you can disregard this.
Just my 2 cents.

It is over.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 04:03:51 AM

Thanks, but...

I'd have to cut them down to length anyway, and drill and tap. If I'm going to do that anyway I'll just get bar stock at 20 cents an inch.

Also there's only a couple dozen and I need a hundred dozen.

Thanks though.

charger100

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 07, 2017, 01:07:06 PM

Dear Sidehack,

Your dedication to this stuff is quite inspiring, so thanks for that)

Could you tell us is there any approximate price for the "Biggie" pod?
isoneguy

Activity: 504

eat bacon!!!

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2017, 01:49:01 PM

Dear Sidehack,

Your dedication to this stuff is quite inspiring, so thanks for that)

Could you tell us is there any approximate price for the "Biggie" pod?

It's fairly difficult to determine this before a prototype is finished and functional due to the having to cover both manufacturing/material costs as well as research and development.

It's easy to say the parts cost X and it costs Y to put the miner together and it costs Z to ship it.

Until there is a functional prototype an approximate value can only be calculated as the following:

(X+Y+Z) = A+R&D markup(multiplied by number of devices).

It could be said that the device will cost no less than Z(shipping cost) but that's a useless estimate without the rest of the values.

If I was to guestimate, I think they'll cost more than a loaf of bread...but less than a breadtruck.

Ye 'olde'!!! Do you concur???
^.v.<.>.◘ qwop
earth | fist | bubbles | ventricle | con | cave | bread | barns | spoon | little | hammer | four | chins | potato | scrypt | gauss | flamethrower | general | table | mongolian | salt | berry | quarter | panel | dual | hell | lucky's | dagger | *french* | translucent | pearl | echo | evil | axe | sea | mineral | labyrinth | vector | morning | palm | star | bench | mask | chosen | ray | parsel | snoop | tongue | rice | pants | rex | two | ocean | ball | red -respec
VirosaGITS

Activity: 910

Want to save $? Use Coupon Code VOFF5 at GPUShack

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 05:21:52 PM

This is probably the right thread;

Actually, I'm raising money for BF16 projects by whipping out some multi-chip BM1384 stuff since, at low clocks, they're still decently efficient (under 0.3J/GH, so S7-level) and easy to work with. Pods are back in the works anyway, and I'll be sending off for prototype PCBs this week. This isn't the appropriate place to discuss it, but there's updates in my 16nm dev thread and stuff in Group Buys, including a Canada GB, so if you still want to trade those S5 boards for something you should look it up.

I don't want to buy sticks but in 2-3 months when it get warmer again, i'll probably be willing to throw in even my working S5 boards. Otherwise right now, i think i'm up to 3 or 4 non working boards. (out of 9 or 10)

Ethereum Mining Calculator - Simple, elegant, mobile-friendly Ethereum Mining Profitability Calculator
gpuShack mining hardware - Your one stop shop for all GPU mining related hardware! Use Coupon Code VOFF5 to save on any order.
ethOS - #ethosdistro on freenode - linux distro that mines Ethereum out-of-the-box.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 04:59:18 PM

re these ^^^ thoughts, EDIT: which are now deleted, so the rest does not make much sense anymore

sticks project is to raise money for BF stuff, this has been articulated plenty.
If you don't want sticks, that's fine.

Would I be too much out of line to suggest that those who buy 2Pac sticks might be considered first in line (so to speak) for boards or any other BF products, otherwise some people are just piggybacking, essentially?
The decision is with sidehack, I just voice my 2c.

On the other hand, if we will have a gazillion of these things (BF), the whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 05:41:29 PM

I really want for there to be a gazillion of them. If the people who have already expressed interest are the only buyers there's still interest for many hundreds, and once they exist and actually get advertised it'll be even more. I don't take high margins from anything, but I was planning on using the profits from BF16 gear to actuall cement my business as more than a barely-breakeven one-man operation in a rented shop, which kinda requires selling a gazillion of them.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 06:51:17 PM

I have old S3's and S1's.. how difficult will it be to implement these boards onto an S3?

Will the S3 controller run the boards?  

I am excited for these pod miners!!  I hope they run with windows XP lol. I fail at mastering raspbin or Linux... I can only windows Sad.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:27:06 PM

I have old S3's and S1's.. how difficult will it be to implement these boards onto an S3?

Will the S3 controller run the boards?  

I am excited for these pod miners!!  I hope they run with windows XP lol. I fail at mastering raspbin or Linux... I can only windows Sad.

if he is able to do like he wants to : take off the old board and put the new upgraded board back on , i think he said he wouldn't reuse those controllers and make it easier for everyone to use..

and please excuse me for not wanting somethings that will set, i deleted that comment didn't think it really mattered, i guess it does to some .

why XP ? .   or is that a joke ? . 
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 07:34:37 PM

Maybe because every Windows since XP has sucked in progressively more intolerable ways?

VH has already mentioned Windows binaries to me. Should be okay.

gt_addict

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 08:00:57 PM

Maybe because every Windows since XP has sucked in progressively more intolerable ways?

VH has already mentioned Windows binaries to me. Should be okay.

Cant agree more. I have stopped at Win7 as its what I deem to be the last real windows.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.