Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:04:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will ByteCoin confuse people about BitCoin  (Read 2348 times)
mjc (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 09:57:59 PM

I think we are headed down a slippery slope with ByteCoin.  People are become confused and it will turn them off. 

For starters all the topics should be pushed to the alternate currency topis and not had in the newbie or other Bitcoin topics.  This is Bitcointalk.org, not Bytecointalk.org.  I would go so far as to suggest a Bytecointalk.org be created.  for now the alt currency is the place for that talk.

So why do I think its a slippery slope, the first time someone is tricked into buying a bytecoin for $100 only to find out they were scammed there will be an uproar.  Mind you they should have educated them self, but people coming to this for the first time will not know the difference and it will confuse them.  They may well turn away thinking it's too complex.

I'm not suggesting it not exist, or that Alt coins are bad.  I think we needed to separate them from Bitcoin so it doesn't pull Bitcoin down while it tries to stand up.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:22:32 PM

Nobody's gonna mistake Bitcoin and Bytecoin.  Anyone who falls for that old gag is bound to part with their money any other way.

Btw, anyone wanna buy some gald?  It's this new shiny orangy-metal thing I found in my back yard, probably worth thousands.

po1992one

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:09:44 PM

Bytecoin:
-no difference vs Bitcoin
-no development manpower
Just stop talking about Bytecoin and the coin will be forgotten soon
Byte-Gox

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:11:19 PM

Bytecoin:
-no development manpower

Too late.. the pizza was delivered!
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:01:38 AM

Bytecoin:
-no development manpower

its a carbon copy of bitcoin so there is no development needed. Simply copy paste updates from the bitcoin devs. I think this is the big strength of bytecoin.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
hiima

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:09:22 AM

Seems like people who are do not know much about tech will get confused.

Whiskey Fund BTC 1K2SG4amzNrB7gUwf5braHuExqnQ5nEKZp LTC Lgoz9gb7q39FMAmBz8odfkx4YFhLeofCpc
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:19:12 AM

Yes they will. I wish the developer had named it the obvious bitcoin2 instead of bytecoin.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 05:02:27 AM

Bytecoin is vaporware, pay it no mind, this is a critical time for cryptocurrency, we should use our resources to help Bitcoin and Litecoin.

If you're going to introduce a new currency, at least make it something unique. If Bitcoin is gold, and Litecoin is silver, would be best to start one that is more like Rhodium (most expensive metal on Earth) by having there be less total coins making them more rare and difficult to generate.

New currencies are a good thing, overall they all take away from the eroding status quo, but they have have a purpose and there be a real reason for a divergence of Bitcoin. You can't just copy and paste Bitcoin's success by running a paralleled network.

Assuming that is this is actually real, which I don't think it is. Don't post below me and help Bytecoin go away.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:45:23 AM

Look, a new thread about that scam  Roll Eyes

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:56:52 AM

Look, a new thread about that scam  Roll Eyes

Still beats Novacoin.

twelph

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:12:19 AM

Looking to buy bytecoins, have 1btc to spend on it. Gotta get out of this newbie section, will send first to a reputable Alt-Crypto Currency forum poster.

Trustworthy Buyers: TTBit
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:17:50 PM

Bytecoin is vaporware, pay it no mind, this is a critical time for cryptocurrency, we should use our resources to help Bitcoin and Litecoin.

If you're going to introduce a new currency, at least make it something unique. If Bitcoin is gold, and Litecoin is silver, would be best to start one that is more like Rhodium (most expensive metal on Earth) by having there be less total coins making them more rare and difficult to generate.

New currencies are a good thing, overall they all take away from the eroding status quo, but they have have a purpose and there be a real reason for a divergence of Bitcoin. You can't just copy and paste Bitcoin's success by running a paralleled network.

Assuming that is this is actually real, which I don't think it is. Don't post below me and help Bytecoin go away.

Really i feel the exact opposite, I think the fact that bytecoin is an exact copy of bitcoin is its big strength. I mean we know that bitcoin cant scale to the point necessary to facilitate even a fraction of all world trade so additional blockchains are an inevitability. And when deciding what sort of additional blockchains we should use why not just copy bitcoin, we know that bitcoin works and there is no need for a dedicated development team, we could simply leach off the bitcoin dev team.

dont get me wrong im all for great innovation in the field of cryptocurrency if anyone happens to have any great innovation laying around but the options we have out there now (ppc, trc, nvc) are not great innovations. If given the choice between a terracoin or a bitcoin2 ill take the bitcoin2.

Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:24:31 PM

100% agree with OP. Bytecoin will confuse the hell out of newbies, and inevitably result in people getting scammed. It's not much better than mtgix in my view.
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:32:01 PM

BytchCoin is shite. Forget it.

VforVictory

Activity: 280

V for Victory or Rather JustV8

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:33:49 PM

How about we discuss Freicoin instead? XD
Uest3

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:31:45 PM

Yes will confuse a lot of people, especially if they are not native english speakers. In general the more coins will appear, more confusion will be. Imagine, hundreds of new alt coins launched, maybe sponsored by some corporations or groups etc It's similar to domain names, first we had .com, now ICANN approved a lot of new TLDs for everyone, .ny, .bcn http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/application-results/strings-1200utc-13jun12-en, ... why not .bitcoin
The difference, .com domain name had time to establish on the market, but the bitcoin... not sure, the chinese could create their own bitcoin, the chinese bitcoin to use in China etc
They can creat a new alt coin stronger than bitcoin, if they have money and power, support from the media, why, because all people that lost the bitcoin boat want a new chance to get rich.
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:46:14 PM

Business plan:
1) copycat something
2) give it a vaguely similar name
3) find a bunch of excited losers who can't tell a from b
4) profit

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:51:11 PM

Business plan:
1) copycat something
2) give it a vaguely similar name
3) find a bunch of excited losers who can't tell a from b
4) profit

If come up with an Idea for a System where you can send Messages and even small Files to other people using this System. I think I call it I-Mail, or Liteletter, haven't decided yet.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
c1010010

Activity: 275

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:34:31 PM

Yes.  Just ignore ByteCoin... it will go away.

And, as a side note, anybody that can't read well enough to distinguish between BitCoin and ByteCoin really should not be using a computer or playing with real money.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
mjc (OP)

Activity: 588

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 04:02:52 PM

Well hopefully the moderator can aggressively move it to Alt-Currency forum.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: