Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:50:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HD7990 Lost 1 GPU  (Read 1084 times)
raidersan (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 07:51:38 PM

One of my HD7990 is only showing 1 of the 2 GPUs. When I try to flash with atiflash it also only list the slave GPU.
Sometimes the little green led by the slot is lit, but not always.
Is there anything I could try?

Thanks in advance.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 09:03:33 PM

Is the device manager able to find it? Check it... Device manager is in the control panel. I'd recommend you to un-install any drivers currently installed and then re-install the updated drivers.
raidersan (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 09:55:03 PM

Is the device manager able to find it? Check it... Device manager is in the control panel. I'd recommend you to un-install any drivers currently installed and then re-install the updated drivers.

No, it only sees one GPU, same in Linux.
hendra147

Activity: 644
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 04:18:39 AM

are you have trying to use only 1 vga ? how about the fan ? if the vga not listed it's seem the conector is eror or maybe your vga is dead
Haidong Liang

Activity: 65

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 07:41:27 AM

You may flip the BIOS switch on top of the card to see if it is BIOS related. Or you can change the PCIE slot.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 08:30:26 AM

Try to take out the one which is working, and place the one which is not working in that slot. See if it is showing any display at all. That's a sign of a ... dead GPU by the way. Hopefully it's not dead.
raidersan (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 09:05:25 AM

You may flip the BIOS switch on top of the card to see if it is BIOS related. Or you can change the PCIE slot.

No effect!
raidersan (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 09:08:38 AM

Try to take out the one which is working, and place the one which is not working in that slot. See if it is showing any display at all. That's a sign of a ... dead GPU by the way. Hopefully it's not dead.

Can the GPU be taken out? I thought they were soldered in.
I will try that, do you which one is slave? The one above the PCI-e connector?
raidersan (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 09:45:56 AM

are you have trying to use only 1 vga ? how about the fan ? if the vga not listed it's seem the conector is eror or maybe your vga is dead

VGA, you mean GPU? Of course I am trying to mine with both GPUs
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 01:16:20 PM

Can the GPU be taken out? I thought they were soldered in.
I will try that, do you which one is slave? The one above the PCI-e connector?

GPU's can be taken out very easily, with a bit of force. Take out both of the GPU's, and try checking and making them work one by one. Just don't place both of the GPU's at once. Google around any tutorial/video if you're taking it out for the first time, it's easy.
raidersan (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:02:17 PM

GPU's can be taken out very easily, with a bit of force. Take out both of the GPU's, and try checking and making them work one by one. Just don't place both of the GPU's at once. Google around any tutorial/video if you're taking it out for the first time, it's easy.

Raja, I cannot seem to video a tutorial on getting the GPU out, do you remember where you saw this?
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:15:01 PM

Raja, I cannot seem to video a tutorial on getting the GPU out, do you remember where you saw this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysk8d_kRg0o
raidersan (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 04:13:51 PM

This is how to remove a card out of a motherboard.... Joke?
I was talking about removing a GPU (the chip) out of the HD7990 PCB (the card)!
M5M400

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

supportXMR.com

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2016, 04:28:40 PM

lol - I think that guy doesn't know that a 7990 is basically 2 7970 on a single PCB... I think if you can't find the device neither on win nor on linux and the bios switch doesn't help... you're f*cked Sad

supportXMR.com :: EU(DE) based Monero pool :: 0.6% fee
Qartada

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2016, 04:46:20 PM

No effect!

Can you see it in the device manager? If not, then it is dead. Some times it is in the other device section when it is not recognized.

Raja_MBZ
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 06:46:12 PM

And all this time I've been thinking that how stupid you are... Funny. I didn't have any experience with that particular card, and didn't know that it comes as twin, in fact, I've no experience with any sort of joint/twin GPU's.

Seems like there isn't much hope for your card left, honestly. Check out if there is any bios reset switch or something around the GPU, otherwise it's pretty much gone.
kods87

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 17, 2017, 11:18:38 PM

i had same problem and i cannot find solution
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
April 18, 2017, 01:39:17 AM

i know the terminology is muddy since nvidia coined the term "gpu" with their geforce 256 back in '99.. but these days it's generally agreed that the gpu is the entire card.

i have always specified the chip in question as the shading or compute unit and that is what the 7990 has two of (where the heatsink makes direct contact with to draw heat away) and is the issue in this case.

if you're comfortable with the possibility of losing the card altogether trying to fix the faulty compute unit you can try to reflow it in a toaster oven.. this will renew the solder connections and has been known to revive dead cards.

look up "bake gpu oven" for details, i also have a write up in a thread titled "repair old gpu's" or something where i go in to some detail.

i think one should avoid calling this die on the gpu a "gpu" in itself.. although its the heart of the video card and a "cpu" is correctly the equivalent in any computer system.. whenever i hear it referred to as a gpu i think of ignorant sales people referring to computer towers and cases as "hard drives"

good luck with your cards.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: